What Is A Hobby Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I get a touch irritated with some of the hard a$$ comments on the board from producers that frequently knock or condemn ANY breed that is not their favorite! IMO if someone has no interest in a given breed, then don't knock it...if you have some good or bad comments about the breed... well... let's hear about the pros and cons. However, please keep sarcastic comments to yourself or the local coffee shop bubbas in your own town.

That said...

I don't think the term "hobby breed" should be affixed to any given breed. IMO a "hobby" would be someone with probably fewer than 5 or 10 animals who has NO intention of expanding their herd...just keeping them to keep the ag exemption or to keep for the dubious intent of "showing kids some cattle", etc.

True, there are nitch markets and breeds for any given purpose. Just because someone doesn't run 1,000 head of Angus or Baldies doesn't make them a "hobby breed producer".

And, anyone with a handful of cattle living on one of those 1 to 5 acre "ranchettes" in a subdivision on the outskirts of town...well...they are running "hobby pets", even if they are the highly promoted "Angus", IMO. I would also include "fad" animals in this: yaks, ostriches, emus, llamas, and any other animal that is a "have it all" bored baby boomer make and model.

The bottomline intent is what matters: Business plan, including advertising and marketing program and the intent to make some money, etc. Knocking one's legitimate livestock program IMO is just being insensitive, sophomoric, lame, and hoping such comments will (spuriously) elevate their own status.... It's like being a used car salesman who is partial to a certain model of vehicle...unprofessional.

Another bottomline: If one's livestock operation is ligitimately set up and their intent is to make money and it is run as a "livestock business", then I do not perceive it as being a lame hobby operation, regardless of the chosen breed. Prejudice and ethnocentrism are rampant everywhere...it seems to be a human failing for those with a chip on their shoulder.

Finally...let's courteously discuss the pros and cons (for any given geographic and weather location) of any breeds and assist all livestock producers (newbies as well as those old timers that refuse to adapt to new proven ways) in the continuation and efficient management of their programs.

There is so much to learn...and, so little time... ;-)

I agree that any breed can be a "hobby." But simply planning to be profitable doesn't take one out of the "hobby" category. I don't know anyone who actually plans to lose money on their cattle, no matter the breed.

But one has to face the fact that some breeds fit the beef industry mold better than others. Breeds with larger associations to promote the breed, more members to promote the breed, that work well in the feedlot, that require less work to get ready to sell, will be more likely to make money than other breeds.

That's not to say other breeds can't be profitable. Most every cow/calf/bull is going to be bought and killed (eventually) and there are people smart enough to make money on them all.

backhoeboogie":15gh46ei said:
RAB, I can agree with most of it. Well said.
me to well said.theres really no hobby breeds.every breed has a pourpose for being here.all though alot are rare breeds an all most extinct.

Running Arrow Bill":1jsm0po7 said:
I get a touch irritated with some of the hard a$$ comments on the board from producers that frequently knock or condemn ANY breed that is not their favorite! IMO if someone has no interest in a given breed, then don't knock it...if you have some good or bad comments about the breed... well... let's hear about the pros and cons. However, please keep sarcastic comments to yourself or the local coffee shop bubbas in your own town.

Well said.

Frankie":31fjelpa said:
I agree that any breed can be a "hobby." But simply planning to be profitable doesn't take one out of the "hobby" category. I don't know anyone who actually plans to lose money on their cattle, no matter the breed.

But one has to face the fact that some breeds fit the beef industry mold better than others. Breeds with larger associations to promote the breed, more members to promote the breed, that work well in the feedlot, that require less work to get ready to sell, will be more likely to make money than other breeds.

That's not to say other breeds can't be profitable. Most every cow/calf/bull is going to be bought and killed (eventually) and there are people smart enough to make money on them all.

Granted, the "beef" (aka slaughter house destined) industry cattle have essentially one purpose: raise the heaviest calf you can in the shortest amount of time on the least amount of cost to gain the highest price in the ultimate slaughter (packaged meat) market. Any breed or species that fits this program will work for any given "destination" consumer market.

The "seedstock" industry (aka Beef, Nitch, Dairy, Dual Purpose, etc.) has a goal of producing top quality animals for breeding, not slaughter. Any breed in this category is valid. These animals are usually not sold by the pound...unless they are herd culls.

Both "industries" are interdependent on each other. If the Seedstock industry wasn't (or hadn't been) present, then the Beef industry would probably still be in the Dark Ages and subject to the Laws of Darwin... ;-)

Frankie wrote: Breeds with larger associations to promote the breed, more members to promote the breed

Women. :roll:

Everything is always about size, huh? :lol:

MikeC":285zqfa0 said:
Frankie wrote: Breeds with larger associations to promote the breed, more members to promote the breed

And that puts you at a disadvantage, I guess?

Running Arrow Bill":1uacam9x said:
Granted, the "beef" (aka slaughter house destined) industry cattle have essentially one purpose: raise the heaviest calf you can in the shortest amount of time on the least amount of cost to gain the highest price in the ultimate slaughter (packaged meat) market. Any breed or species that fits this program will work for any given "destination" consumer market.

Perhaps you've identified "hobby" cattle: those that aren't bred for the meat business?

The "seedstock" industry (aka Beef, Nitch, Dairy, Dual Purpose, etc.) has a goal of producing top quality animals for breeding, not slaughter. Any breed in this category is valid. These animals are usually not sold by the pound...unless they are herd culls.

The goal of the "seedstock" industry should be to provide bulls to their customers that improve their herds and bank balance, whatever the breed.

Both "industries" are interdependent on each other. If the Seedstock industry wasn't (or hadn't been) present, then the Beef industry would probably still be in the Dark Ages and subject to the Laws of Darwin... ;-)

Yes, there would be no demand for purebred, registered, bulls if not for the commercial cattle industry. Those are my customers. We don't expect to sell $15-20,000 bulls to purbred breeders. But if not for the "Seedstock industry", we'd probably all still be raising Longhorns, since they were the original cattle here in the US.

Frankie":2bw2yzcn said:
Perhaps you've identified "hobby" cattle: those that aren't bred for the meat business?

Now you've done gone and done it, Frankie.

Beginners start out with your favorite breed over and over. They just don't work out for us in this climate. But when I see them starting out with that breed, "hobby" is exactly what I am thinking.

The old saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", look around at who is really making money in this business and what they are raising, in the environment you intend to use.

RAB, I said I almost agreed with everything you said. What I didn't agree with were the breeds you were crediting. Brangus works for me. If I lived in a milder climate, I'd probably raise something different.

We are all never going to agree because we all have different reasons for doing what we do and where we do it.

Frankie":u1gpyylv said:
MikeC":u1gpyylv said:

Now, that's gotta hurt! Your turn Mike. 8)

Frankie":3jwpn3pp said:
MikeC":3jwpn3pp said:

Naw, I'm cocky and entirely too big for my britches now. :p

backhoeboogie":12nqlmfp said:
Frankie":12nqlmfp said:

Now you've done gone and done it, Frankie.

Beginners start out with your favorite breed over and over. They just don't work out for us in this climate. But when I see them starting out with that breed, "hobby" is exactly what I am thinking.

The old saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", look around at who is really making money in this business and what they are raising, in the environment you intend to use.

RAB, I said I almost agreed with everything you said. What I didn't agree with were the breeds you were crediting. Brangus works for me. If I lived in a milder climate, I'd probably raise something different.

We are all never going to agree because we all have different reasons for doing what we do and where we do it.

There are three essential breeds in the USA and longhorn aint one of them. Longhorns look good in a movie about the old west when Quannah Parker was roaming Texas.
Longhorns were not cutting it in the beginning of the beef industry, that is the reason the ranchers of the day were importing Herefords to try and improve beef for there customer.
Heck they still look pretty standing in a pasture.
I don't raise beef for pretty.
I raise beef for pounds to run across the scale and if they put on the most pounds every commericail cattleman would have a pasture full of them.

J. T.":1lr1nrs4 said:
Frankie":1lr1nrs4 said:
MikeC":1lr1nrs4 said:

Now, that's gotta hurt! Your turn Mike. 8)

I must admit, Frankie is on top of things with this post. :lol: :lol:

I always felt that any breed that places more importance on horn length or shape did not have a place in today's beef industry.

CSM

As long as you are happy with what your raising, it shouldn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

Running Arrow Bill, good points. It's a big world. There's plenty of room for diversity. By the way, is beer available for purchase in Shamrock nowadays?

RAB, I agree, for the most part, with what you've posted.
I will always be a hobby farmer, raising cattle is my hobby, it is also my passion, it is also my therapy, it is also my second job, it is also my avenue for stress relief, among other things.
The reasons we raise cattle are as diverse as the farmers themselves, and for that reason there will never be a "perfect answer" for any question or comment posed on this forum.
Trey

TREY-L":3isw5erc said:
RAB, I agree, for the most part, with what you've posted.
I will always be a hobby farmer, raising cattle is my hobby, it is also my passion, it is also my therapy, it is also my second job, it is also my avenue for stress relief, among other things.
The reasons we raise cattle are as diverse as the farmers themselves, and for that reason there will never be a "perfect answer" for any question or comment posed on this forum.
Trey

That's about as perfect a post as I have ever read. Well said Trey!

Tegerian":1decc3y0 said:
As long as you are happy with what your raising, it shouldn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

I agree, but would add that if your not making money at it then it is a hobby. Doesn't matter what you are raising. If your time into your ranch equates to minimum wage or less then its a hobby, atleast to me. I have a full time job and I think of my cows as a blue collar 401k plan. :D

Walt

I'll add that calling me a hobby rancher is an insult to ranchers. :)