What is a good brand solar fencer

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a Parmak but I don't like it very well. It's heavy and bulky and doesn't put out much voltage. I've got two Gallaghers that sit atop a t-post and they work very well. Easy to set up and easy to change the battery if you need to. If I had to power a more permanent fence or a much longer run I would get a plug in type. The largest run I have is a half mile of 3 strand. Two of my neighbors have the Gallaghers and they seem to be satisfied also.

RAWCJW":3bsl7o5e said:
Do solar chargers work well? I was looking at a Parmak brand.
If you go with a Parmak, Check out the model DF-SPL1.It's an excellent Solar Charger.Whatever brand you decide to buy, make sure that the retailer has an easy return policy.

Crowderfarms":v0ucx831 said:
RAWCJW":v0ucx831 said:
Do solar chargers work well? I was looking at a Parmak brand.
If you go with a Parmak, Check out the model DF-SPL1.It's an excellent Solar Charger.Whatever brand you decide to buy, make sure that the retailer has an easy return policy.

Absolutely the best Crowder. Gallagers aint worth the plastic them battery eating pieces of crapola they are made of.

milesvb":3cb8l2ot said:
I've got a Parmak but I don't like it very well. It's heavy and bulky and doesn't put out much voltage. I've got two Gallaghers that sit atop a t-post and they work very well. Easy to set up and easy to change the battery if you need to. If I had to power a more permanent fence or a much longer run I would get a plug in type. The largest run I have is a half mile of 3 strand. Two of my neighbors have the Gallaghers and they seem to be satisfied also.

Something is wrong cause I have several and they are hotter than 5 F's.

Have had a Speed-Rite for 6 years that is portable and I use for temporary and strip grazing and it's still going strong.

Just throwing out another brand for you to consider.

J

Caustic Burno":32py4dca said:
milesvb":32py4dca said:

CB, Does those 5 F's have any thing to do with Foxes and Forest Fires??

Crowderfarms":tjs5c1ig said:
Caustic Burno":tjs5c1ig said:
milesvb":tjs5c1ig said:

CB, Does those 5 F's have any thing to do with Foxes and Forest Fires??

Yes iit does.

EIEIO":20m3lyzd said:
Have had a Speed-Rite for 6 years that is portable and I use for temporary and strip grazing and it's still going strong.

I second the SpeedRite. Had a Parmak and had calves crawling fence everywhere. Switched to a SR and nary a critter walking the fence. Also liked the PEL I tried, but it was more money for an equal fencer.

Rod

I like Gallagher and Parmark is okay as well. I.M.H.O ...A PEL is only good for target practice, they don,t last.

Well I think it will have to be between a parmark and a gallagher those are what the local farm store sells .I'm not sure what the model #'s are but the gallagher say's it will do 10 mile and the parmark 25 mile. I don't know s### about electricity other than it needs a good ground and it'll bite ya. I have to go solar cause it's a pasture I'm leasing. I plan on running 2 strand hot guacho barb wire.

RAWCJW":e3jnqq3t said:
Well I think it will have to be between a parmark and a gallagher those are what the local farm store sells .I'm not sure what the model #'s are but the gallagher say's it will do 10 mile and the parmark 25 mile. I don't know s### about electricity other than it needs a good ground and it'll bite ya. I have to go solar cause it's a pasture I'm leasing. I plan on running 2 strand hot guacho barb wire.

Use caution when comparing between brands using mileage ratings. Mileage ratings vary per company & are usually based assuming a clean (no weed, grass or brush load, etc). IMO- mileage ratings are pure cow flop. To get a more accurate comparison check the OUTPUT JOULES, Do not be fooled by stored joules, as output is what matters.

IMO-buy the highest (joule) powered charger you can get(within reason). If at all possible get a 120 volt instead of solar. You should be able to buy a 6 joule 120volt for less than $200, while a .5 joule solar will probably cost more. The attached link has a free fencing catalog with lots of good fencing tips and is a good source of quality, price competitive products.

http://www.kencove.com/ShopItems.php?ca ... e+Chargers

Bottom line, do not skimp on the size of charger or the number of ground rods! These 2 items make all the difference in the world with the effectiveness of your fence & the stress you experience in containing your animals. Would also recommend 3/8 in fiberglass rods, with spring clips, for line posts & larger fg rods for corners. Fg rods alow the fence to give or flex when hit by animals, including deer, etc. The fg rods are also self insulating & will not short out the fence if the wire contacts it as opposed to steel posts that are a short looking to happen.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

Caustic Burno":35gflb9w said:
milesvb":35gflb9w said:

Anybody ever tried to open a Parmak Solar to change the battery? Mine seems to be non-user servicable. Or maybe the problem is with the user :roll: .

milesvb":rcpm9v63 said:
Caustic Burno":rcpm9v63 said:
milesvb":rcpm9v63 said:

Anybody ever tried to open a Parmak Solar to change the battery? Mine seems to be non-user servicable. Or maybe the problem is with the user :roll: .

I have the owners manual somewhere on one let me see if I can dig it up, this could turn into a quest as long as the search for the holy grail.

milesvb":3khmi7t5 said:

The top just pops off on mine.

Latest posts