What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
We have a fullblood Piedmontese young cow
(extremely rare breed in these parts) who produced a very nice heifer calf this spring with no problems settling or breeding, or dropping her calf.The heifer and her calf were then used as a 4-H project.
When it came time to re-breed ( we don't have a bull and have to travel a good distance to run her with a fullblood bull-the same one I might add who bred her last summer with no problems)
This year she was with him for 2 or 3 heats not sure exactly whether 2-3 heats, and we brought her home, but she wasn't settled.
He also missed several other cows their first time around, but caught them on their next heat.There was only 6 cows for him to breed, so don't understand why he might have missed them. He also seems to have gotten lazy, and has been seen to only breed them once, and then walk away.
We had the young cow ultrasounded by one of the better vets in the area, and later gave her an estramate needle and had her AI-ed by the vet, who said he couldn't see any reason why she wouldn't settle.
Now she seems to be coming in heat after being AI-ed.
I have seen false heats before, but it is getting real late in the season so it is frustrating to see a possible heat.
Talked to the vet office by phone, and he said if she doesn't come into standing heat, it may be a false heat, but if she stands, there is a probable 95% chance she is open and haul her back for another AI attempt.
Any thoughts on what might be possibly going on? She is in good body condition, not over fed grain like some 4-H heifers, we just weaned her calf a couple of weeks ago, and she has good food.
Any thoughts what might be happening?

With the chain of events you described could be that bull has went bad and then she just didn't take to the A.I. Some females can be hard to settle their second go round. Could be a problem with her now after calving or just a coincidence that the Bull and the A. I. failed. B&G

The bull did eventually settle the other cows, but there was a few hits and misses, and with only 6 cows one would have thought there would be a better hit than miss, and it was pasture breeding not range breeding which makes a big difference if the cattle are scattered over 40 square miles of open range rather than 50 open acres..

Did that bull has tested for BSE? Did the vet checked out the cow to see if there was any problems in her reproductive tract? Perhaps try another bull (regardless of what breed) on her. If she failed again, haul her to the sale barn.

Latest posts