What do you think of this bull? Need Opinions - Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":13cvi8t7 said:
novatech":13cvi8t7 said:
Wewild":13cvi8t7 said:
ALACOWMAN":13cvi8t7 said:
well with you girl's i should have been more informative now listen close ... this was during the part of the 90's

Hmmmm... I thought folks were asking for current info.

Guess I'll have to cancel that trip to alabama to buy them 70 cent heifers.

Bubble gum used to be a penny.
I used to get those bull calves from the dairy for free.
So what's any of this got to do with that bull anyway?
You don,t have to prove to me what a great cowboy you are, and does anyone else really care?
I will stand corrected on the price.I didn't know you were talking about the 90's.
I will also stand corrected about the weaning age. I,ve seen pairs split a lot at actions. My brain just hadn't caught up with my mouth.

Go to the yard during a BAD drought. During a drought, people (some with good cows) will often wean off waaaay early; because they got no grass, can't really make a profit by pouring $45 a roll hay and grain by the ton into their cows, and don't want those calves sucking the life out of their cows and ruining their permanent pastures.
well all that was in good shape the cattle prices were just as low as i had seen them and i had a chance to buy some cheap. i was actually there to buy roping calves and these started poppin up. i had a place and a purpose for em. thats it and the truth

ALACOWMAN":20dtjq9b said:
Brandonm2":20dtjq9b said:
novatech":20dtjq9b said:
Wewild":20dtjq9b said:
ALACOWMAN":20dtjq9b said:
well with you girl's i should have been more informative now listen close ... this was during the part of the 90's

You don,t have to prove to me what a great cowboy you are, and does anyone else really care?
I will stand corrected on the price.I didn't know you were talking about the 90's.
I will also stand corrected about the weaning age. I,ve seen pairs split a lot at actions. My brain just hadn't caught up with my mouth.

Go to the yard during a BAD drought. During a drought, people (some with good cows) will often wean off waaaay early; because they got no grass, can't really make a profit by pouring $45 a roll hay and grain by the ton into their cows, and don't want those calves sucking the life out of their cows and ruining their permanent pastures.
well all that was in good shape the cattle prices were just as low as i had seen them and i had a chance to buy some cheap. i was actually there to buy roping calves and these started poppin up. i had a place and a purpose for em. thats it and the truth

I remember when we hit ROCK BOTTOM in the cattle cycle in the 90s. I sold one trailer load of good 600 lb steer calves for ~58 cents/lb and that memory is a nightmare that won't go away. Maybe it is an Alabama thing; but 250-350 lb heifer calves at the stockyard are NOT an uncommon sight. There are a lot of people who come to the sale too buy them, grow them out and remarket them which SOMETIMES can make them a little pricy compared too heavier weight calves.

Brandonm2":2fduzkg7 said:
ALACOWMAN":2fduzkg7 said:
Brandonm2":2fduzkg7 said:
novatech":2fduzkg7 said:
Wewild":2fduzkg7 said:
ALACOWMAN":2fduzkg7 said:

I remember when we hit ROCK BOTTOM in the cattle cycle in the 90s. I sold one trailer load of good 600 lb steer calves for ~58 cents/lb and that memory is a nightmare that won't go away. Maybe it is an Alabama thing; but 250-350 lb heifer calves at the stockyard are NOT an uncommon sight. There are a lot of people who come to the sale too buy them, grow them out and remarket them which SOMETIMES can make them a little pricy compared too heavier weight calves.
it can but when the price of a registerd breeding age heifer was around 800-1000.00 they were a bargain even if i had too wait a little longer plus i could buy more of em at that price and breeding them to a fleck bull gave me some awsome calves.

ALACOWMAN":28a473q7 said:
it can but when the price of a registerd breeding age heifer was around 800-1000.00 they were a bargain even if i had too wait a little longer plus i could buy more of em at that price and breeding them to a fleck bull gave me some awsome calves.

I've always thought guys buying those light heifers were probably doggoned smart. I occasionally see nice 2 - 3 weight heifers being stolen at the barn for a hundred bucks or even 150. You snap them up and bring em home and you've just bought calves for much less than it costs to keep a cow for the year. Even if you got to throw a bag of milk replacer at them, you're still ahead of the game. You start feeding them, and the ones that look like they may make breeding stock you wean off grain and get them onto forage. The rest you fire out as fed cattle and smile at the extra 50 or hundred bucks you just made.

Rod

Brandonm2":3tam04xl said:
novatech":3tam04xl said:
Wewild":3tam04xl said:
ALACOWMAN":3tam04xl said:

These calves must be being bought by buyer to ship out because I would think the drought would be affecting all the folks around the sell area.

Seems that if the local folks were buyers they must be understocked and losing money from that standpoint.

Very few would be held as replacements in the local areas. Maybe someone close to the saler that knew the quality might buy a few?

Some of you folks amaze me.

The same ones who ridicule bulls all to high heaven go to the stockyard and buy a mutt that you know nothing about and keep her for a brood cow.

Do yourself a favor. Save yourself some time, money, and a lot of expense. Buy your self some good purebred heifers take them home and breed them and make some good F1 cows for mommas.

You and the entire beef industry will be better off in the long run. :roll:

Sale barns are for culls. Yea, you might pick $50-$100 bucks sometimes from some of those deals.............sometimes.

We're all in the MEAT business.

Perfect, MikeC you just nailed it on the head, My opinion the bull will make decent steaks if you ask me. But they did invest money in him, use him for a year, he will bred 8-10 cows most likely.

Butcher the bull for meat, or feed him heavy and sell him as a butcher bull next year.. Get as much as you can out of him and re-invest with a breeder who will work with you. Find someone who will talk over your goals, and budget. There are good bulls out there in everyone's budgets, but they are hardly in your back yard or your normal seasons bull sales... Call around ... Find out what is out there!

You will have 8-10 head to sell out of him next year and with the cull money and calf money hopefully you made 3500 on the bull and your done with him.

MikeC":655hzqaf said:

The same ones who ridicule bulls all to high heaven go to the stockyard and buy a mutt that you know nothing about and keep her for a brood cow.

Do yourself a favor. Save yourself some time, money, and a lot of expense. Buy your self some good purebred heifers take them home and breed them and make some good F1 cows for mommas.

• Sale barns are for culls.
Yea, you might pick $50-$100 bucks sometimes from some of those deals.............sometimes.

there has to be a place to take em dont they. and you your self know that.cull bulls hopefully made steers,,, and heifers that dont meet some folks registerd criteria are headed somewhere. they will have more in them than i gave. and a chance for a commercial man to move up. i have respect for breeders like you and that actually know what their talking about. who put effort in producing a quality animal. just didnt have the money but with hard work and selection i have a herd im proud of now ;-)

Wewild":oysxjm1f said:
These calves must be being bought by buyer to ship out because I would think the drought would be affecting all the folks around the sell area.

Seems that if the local folks were buyers they must be understocked and losing money from that standpoint.

Very few would be held as replacements in the local areas. Maybe someone close to the saler that knew the quality might buy a few?

Even in a drought, SOME people have stockpiled forage/hay or are willing too buy grain and droughts and low prices will sometimes draw buyers from far, far afield.

ALACOWMAN":34b221d3 said:
MikeC":34b221d3 said:

Yea, you might pick $50-$100 bucks sometimes from some of those deals.............sometimes.

there has to be a place to take em dont they. and you your self know that.cull bulls hopefully made steers,,, and heifers that dont meet some folks registerd criteria are headed somewhere. they will have more in them than i gave. and a chance for a commercial man to move up. i have respect for breeders like you and that actually know what their talking about. who put effort in producing a quality animal. just didnt have the money but with hard work and selection i have a herd im proud of now ;-)

Just for the record. YOU KNOW how long it takes to build a herd up from scratch. Several generations at best. You just did what you HAD to do. I admire that also.

But MOST folks would be or would have been better off buying fewer but more quality cows to start with and be ahead of the game in the long run.

Brandonm2":2ln2qbj3 said:
Wewild":2ln2qbj3 said:

Even in a drought, SOME people have stockpiled forage/hay or are willing too buy grain and droughts and low prices will sometimes draw buyers from far, far afield.

As I said before... we try to keep an overage of hay for the bad times. We are not willing to buy grain. We try to manage our herd so we aren't ovestocked or understocked. Sometimes we get burned some but not much. If we were to gamble with our reserves we might make a nickle and get burned by another drought.

Your last statment is true. It seem you always find folks will flock to a good deal. They aren't buying them as replacements though.

It is easy to sit back and judge others for the way they do things. Sometimes the only way a man can get to were he wants to be is to start with what he can afford, and build from there. Sometimes it might not make economic sents, but if you have attained your goal isn,t that all that really matters. Know don,t get me wrong here, I do think you need to put a pencil to raiseing your own replacements.

MikeC":2k9vogk2 said:
ALACOWMAN":2k9vogk2 said:
MikeC":2k9vogk2 said:

Just for the record. YOU KNOW how long it takes to build a herd up from scratch. Several generations at best. You just did what you HAD to do. I admire that also.

But MOST folks would be or would have been better off buying fewer but more quality cows to start with and be ahead of the game in the long run.
well you have to have a goal to. i already had registerd. brahman. cows and herf bull. but when these little gals came in and seeing the potentail of the f1 momas. i thought ill put them in with my roping calves and grow em out. i wouldnt ADVISE anyone to do it. buying at the barn like was said is a crapshoot and the dice aint always in your favor

Thought I would update on this bull. The first cow that got bred by him was a small cow with small pelvis. Very thin back there. She is the worst built cow I have as far as pelvis. I have kept her because after we bought her she was so timid she shook for 2 or 3 days. I know, I know but I am a softie. Anyway I saw her from a distance today acting like she was going to calve. I couldn't go to her because it was time for me to pick up kids. Came back after about 15 minutes, got in calf pulling clothes and took off on Gator. Well, got down there and she had a cute white heifer on the ground. The baby reminded me of a Markey baby, long and lean. Now we just need to see how she grows off.

BTW, this cow was not strutted, she had no mucus string. I knew when she was due so I was watching her. She did develop that drunken rear end walk a couple of days ago. It is funny how each birth is different.

Gate Opener":1bpcrk32 said:
Thought I would update on this bull. The first cow that got bred by him was a small cow with small pelvis. Very thin back there. She is the worst built cow I have as far as pelvis. I have kept her because after we bought her she was so timid she shook for 2 or 3 days. I know, I know but I am a softie. Anyway I saw her from a distance today acting like she was going to calve. I couldn't go to her because it was time for me to pick up kids. Came back after about 15 minutes, got in calf pulling clothes and took off on Gator. Well, got down there and she had a cute white heifer on the ground. The baby reminded me of a Markey baby, long and lean. Now we just need to see how she grows off.

BTW, this cow was not strutted, she had no mucus string. I knew when she was due so I was watching her. She did develop that drunken rear end walk a couple of days ago. It is funny how each birth is different.

Congrats on the new calf---hope it grows well!

Gate Opener":cu4njb6p said:
Thanks Jeanne. Sure would like to have one of your bulls, they are super nice.
Gate Opener-

I noticed the date of your post, and I have wondered if you have really given any thought as to what you are doing in the cattle business in the last year!?!

It takes a lot of experience and thought and sometimes hard lessons to get the picture of what this business is all about. Most of us on this Board are willing to help anyone if they are willing to learn, and seek information on their own - such as through the internet, books, County Agents, University papers, magazines, of which there are hundreds with excellent information for the serious beef cattle BREEDER - IF they are dedicated to learn from their efforts. You have indicated that you really need some help in your BU$INE$$, and I hope that you have been able to think and learn in the last 12 months.

Spend some money, and get a BETTER bull!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, that is the plan. Haven't been able to just yet.

I posted because I have been somewhat concerned that we would have to pull the calf with this cow. I was tickled that she was able to have it unassisted.

Thanks, Moocow. I don't know for sure what she is. We bought her at the salebarn bred. We have her heifer calf penned up and feeding out for freezer beef. The camera has been acting up so I don't know if I can get picture or not, I will try.

Latest posts