What do you think of this bull? Need Opinions - Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener":274cid4r said:
Yes I asked if it mattered if the bull was not perfect in this situation and I asked if the calves would bring enough to justify the cost of the nicer bull. Then after being supplied data which suggests that I can possibly recoup the added cost of a better bull I then said
Gate Opener":274cid4r said:
We'll be on the lookout for a better bull at a decent price so we can trade in our cow freshener. ;-) :D

Thanks. Now I know that some people buy calves for potential replacements.
ive bought weaned brahman heifers at the salebarn for 100.00 to 150.00 course they werent the best quality. but good enough too cross on bred too simm. bull still got some of the cows today from them

ALACOWMAN":b5pvhn16 said:
ive bought weaned brahman heifers at the salebarn for 100.00 to 150.00 course they werent the best quality. but good enough too cross on bred too simm. bull still got some of the cows today from them

You pay attention Gate Opener and you too will have a quality herd like this!

The bull you posted will work well with alacowomans advice!

:lol:

AngusLimoX":2je8yy0v said:
ALACOWMAN":2je8yy0v said:

no you misunderstand asshole not advising her too do anything but maybe you and thats too mind your own dam business cause you will find it hard too keep up with me .you can build any quaility you want but it take knowledge some thing you dont seem to have

ALACOWMAN":1wny6566 said:
AngusLimoX":1wny6566 said:
ALACOWMAN":1wny6566 said:

no you misunderstand be nice not advising her too do anything but maybe you and thats too mind your own dam business cause you will find it hard too keep up with me .you can build any quaility you want but it take knowledge some thing you dont seem to have

Keep up with you?? Down shifting ain't what I am about little fella! :lol: :lol:

ALACOWMAN":31b7ws72 said:
Gate Opener":31b7ws72 said:
Yes I asked if it mattered if the bull was not perfect in this situation and I asked if the calves would bring enough to justify the cost of the nicer bull. Then after being supplied data which suggests that I can possibly recoup the added cost of a better bull I then said
Gate Opener":31b7ws72 said:
We'll be on the lookout for a better bull at a decent price so we can trade in our cow freshener. ;-) :D

I'm not the smartest guy in the world so after reading this I promptly went and got a calculator. Lets see 150.00 divided by lets say .70 per pound equal 214 lbs. At weaning age, yes I would say they were culls. If this is the quality of cattle you buy I would really like to see that bull. I hope you made a mistake in that price you quoted or is someone weaning calves at 2 months?

novatech":2a1rlztk said:
I'm not the smartest guy in the world so after reading this I promptly went and got a calculator. Lets see 150.00 divided by lets say .70 per pound equal 214 lbs. At weaning age, yes I would say they were culls. If this is the quality of cattle you buy I would really like to see that bull. I hope you made a mistake in that price you quoted or is someone weaning calves at 2 months?
There is many of the commercial Brahman X cattle that sell in the Southeast weighing less than 200 to around 250 lb.
They are weaned on the truck on the way to the sale barn. Don't ask me why they are sold at that age and wt, but many are of real good quality Brahman X breds. I don't know why someone would wean and sell their calves of that size and age, but in the Southeast it is a common occurance.

well with you girl's i should have been more informative now listen close :secret: no talkin please.. this was during the part of the 90's that cattle were at their lowest point..are you with me so far..it might have even been when some of you were swinging from your daddies testicals so thats why i got them so cheap. although they wasnt registerd they were hard too pass up

novatech":11tbsi4n said:
ALACOWMAN":11tbsi4n said:
Gate Opener":11tbsi4n said:
Gate Opener":11tbsi4n said:

no the quote is real. and your right your not the smartest person but your moma still loves you and thats what matters most

ALACOWMAN":3tei8kgv said:
well with you girl's i should have been more informative now listen close ... this was during the part of the 90's

Hmmmm... I thought folks were asking for current info.

la4angus":3p5sakd5 said:
novatech":3p5sakd5 said:
There is many of the commercial Brahman X cattle that sell in the Southeast weighing less than 200 to around 250 lb.
They are weaned on the truck on the way to the sale barn. Don't ask me why they are sold at that age and wt, but many are of real good quality Brahman X breds. I don't know why someone would wean and sell their calves of that size and age, but in the Southeast it is a common occurance.

I know a Boy that's making a darn good profit, buying those leightweights, feeding them out and selling them 6 months down the road. May even buy 20-30 myself.

he seems pretty healthy to me his legs look fine id like to see a little more muscle tone in his front and rear end If u arent experienced with charolais U can have calving probs ive pulled alot of calves from the perticular breed it all depends on the quality of the cow etc....hope this helps ya out

Wewild":37r8cu9p said:
ALACOWMAN":37r8cu9p said:
well with you girl's i should have been more informative now listen close ... this was during the part of the 90's

Guess I'll have to cancel that trip to alabama to buy them 70 cent heifers.

Bubble gum used to be a penny.
I used to get those bull calves from the dairy for free.
So what's any of this got to do with that bull anyway?
You don,t have to prove to me what a great cowboy you are, and does anyone else really care?
I will stand corrected on the price.I didn't know you were talking about the 90's.
I will also stand corrected about the weaning age. I,ve seen pairs split a lot at actions. My brain just hadn't caught up with my mouth.

la4angus":gslmbsrr said:

Why they being sold that light and cheap Crowder? Sounds like a regular thing , not desperation. At that weight and the prices quoted how is the cow/calf guy surviving?

novatech":1wf887e6 said:
Wewild":1wf887e6 said:
ALACOWMAN":1wf887e6 said:

You don,t have to prove to me what a great cowboy you are, and does anyone else really care?
I will stand corrected on the price.I didn't know you were talking about the 90's.
I will also stand corrected about the weaning age. I,ve seen pairs split a lot at actions. My brain just hadn't caught up with my mouth.
well she said quote, why would anyone buy a calf at auction. and i told her my storey, i didnt see a time period anywhere around her question,,, now tell me if you seen weaned brahman heifers for that price would you not bid on them :?:

ALACOWMAN":2r8f0fcw said:
ive bought weaned brahman heifers at the salebarn for 100.00 to 150.00 course they werent the best quality.

Being the large, "real" cattle rancher that you are why did you feel the need to risk buying sale barn preweaned calves as replacements?

Would it not have been wiser to keep some of your own calves from mommas and sires you know?

Or was this when you were building your herd? That might make a bit more sense.

The bull posted looks just like the price that was paid for him.
In this case you do get what you pay for.

Giving anyone advise to buy poor quality 2-4 month old calves at a sale barn for herd replacements is just plain bad advice! I am sure even you can see that now??

S.R.R.":1f2cbkeg said:
ALACOWMAN":1f2cbkeg said:
ive bought weaned brahman heifers at the salebarn for 100.00 to 150.00 course they werent the best quality.

Being the large, "real" cattle rancher that you are why did you feel the need to risk buying sale barn preweaned calves as replacements?

Would it not have been wiser to keep some of your own calves from mommas and sires you know?

Giving anyone advise to buy poor quality 2-4 month old calves at a sale barn for herd replacements is just plain bad advice! I am sure even you can see that now??
no what i seen was a chance to by some heifers too raise some good F1 momas out of and took it.. see you still talk without listening why is that? it just puzzling i didnt give her advice at all these heifers that you have pictured in your mind were not 250 =300 the were around the 400 range i should add that they sold by the head not by the pound just in case that gets by you too

ALACOWMAN":2ekklfb4 said:
S.R.R.":2ekklfb4 said:
ALACOWMAN":2ekklfb4 said:

no what i seen was a chance to by some heifers too raise some good F1 momas out of and took it.. see you still talk without listening why is that? it just puzzling i didnt give her advice at all these heifers that you have pictured in your mind were not 250 =300 the were around the 400 range i should add that they sold by the head not by the pound just in case that gets by you too

You know it really sounds like your crawfishin, you know that back up thing they do. You do the math and listen to what you are saying, would you believe it. But then again I don,t think you have ever but a pencil to anything. Your vulgar language tells me more than anything. Adolescent

ALACOWMAN":1icysktr said:
S.R.R.":1icysktr said:
ALACOWMAN":1icysktr said:

You have a large cattle operation and the best replacement heifers you could find were 250-300lb calves at the sale barn? That does not add up. you should have had more then enough of your own calves to pick good replacements from.

I repeat buying poor quality 250-300lb calves at a sale barn to use as replacements for the future of your herd is not a good idea and should not be encouraged. I am sure you agree now having thought about it??

novatech":1w7yz8fn said:
ALACOWMAN":1w7yz8fn said:
S.R.R.":1w7yz8fn said:
ALACOWMAN":1w7yz8fn said:

You know it really sounds like your crawfishin, you know that back up thing they do. You do the math and listen to what you are saying, would you believe it. But then again I don,t think you have ever but a pencil to anything. Your vulgar language tells me more than anything. Adolescent
first off let me apologize to gate opener . the reason it sounds like crawfishin. is because i have too keep explaining you dont believe me fine it makes no difference period.

novatech":1mprgjib said:
Wewild":1mprgjib said:
ALACOWMAN":1mprgjib said:

Go to the yard during a BAD drought. During a drought, people (some with good cows) will often wean off waaaay early; because they got no grass, can't really make a profit by pouring $45 a roll hay and grain by the ton into their cows, and don't want those calves sucking the life out of their cows and ruining their permanent pastures.

Latest posts