What do you think of my cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I love looking at the responses to the above question, so I thought I'd post a picture of one of my cows. What do you think? This is ole' Number 11.

No11.jpg

No11b.jpg

Yes, she is about to calve. This picture was last weekend. I'm expecting a calf within the next week.

She is an F1 Angus Braham cross. We have two half sisters, too.

What do you think of that udder?

Yes, she is a money maker. Puts out a calf every 11 months, will accept any other calf as a foster, produces way more milk than multiple calves need, and her calves average 2.75-3 pounds per day on gain without supplements or hormones. She's only had one heifer calf - and that one is also in our pasture and has the same production. And, even during the drought, she did not lose condition. Most of our cows are like her; some lose a little too much condition, some don't average the daily gain but meet our goals, and most won't accept foster calves.

I would have thought Angus/Brangus instead of F1 Angus Brahman but she looks awfully good to me. I have a few (too few) that look a lot like her. She is my kind of cow.

Angus/Brangus":33cms5rh said:
novatech":33cms5rh said:
She'd look better in my pasture. :lol:

No way Novatech. You couldn't handle this one. It would look much better with my crew.

Nice looking cow!! Nice looking grass too!

Your right Definite improvement for your herd. :lol: :lol:

Your doing alright, I have seen some of yours that look just like her. And if you want some more let me borrow that angus bull for a while. Probably could use a little fatting up anyway.

If you personally saw this cow and her 1/2 sisters, you'd immediately see the Brammer in her. I have a 9 year old cross bred cow that out produces her. Oh yeah - their calves are always the top sellers at the sale barn.

Grass?? It is one of the banes of our farm - bahia. It is one pasture we did not spray cimmerron. The bermuda pasture looks just as good, but we've been getting a lot of rain. If it was a normal year, that bahia would not look as nice.

Dusty, I have learned in a short time, to judge the cow by their calves. Good quality in equals better than mama in most cases.

I have 1 Brangus cow that looks poor all the time, but she raises a good calf every year.

I hear you on that. A guy showed me a picture of a longhorn cross cow on the worst piece of sod I'd ever seen. She was a BC score 2.

I laughed and said she looks like a cull to me. He smiled knowingly and said that cow was 23 years old, raised and weaned 24 calves, and lived in west Texas.

Ole' Number 11 had her heifer calf yesterday. She was about 65 pounds, but she'll probably wean at 5.5 months around 550 pounds.

Looks like a good cow to me, and yea probably most of us have one that doesn't have a perfect udder or teats.

But I look at the way the calves grow and some of my most sorry looking cows/udders...make the best calves. As long as they pay their way they stay.

Good slick cow...post a pic with the hefier, it you like her keep her. Donna

Latest posts