WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY BULL?

Help Support CattleToday:

Blessed cows":qwy2kmbn said:
I took this job of tending the cattle over just a few weeks ago and I am 19 and have never had any experience with cattle other than I used to go look at them when I was younger.

and

Blessed cows":qwy2kmbn said:
Also thank you for your interest in my questions about the bull you have reaffirmed my doubts in the effectiveness of this animal and I am going to look for a better replacement
I can now see that I need to do the bull selection to get what I think we need
There is a breeder not too far from us that raises Horned Herefrod bulls in a similar situation and they seem to hold up well
How do you think the calves off of a Limousin/Angus crossed cow and a Horned hereford bull would be
I know several of the ranchers in this area run Hereford cross cows and either Angus or Hereford bulls

SaraLynn, you sure have come a long way in 22 days.

slick4591":392hkshz said:
Not all that far compared to some people on here that are asking the most basic questions one week and the next they're handing out advice because they now have all the answers

dun":2qmmtpzv said:
slick4591":2qmmtpzv said:
Not all that far compared to some people on here that are asking the most basic questions one week and the next they're handing out advice because they now have all the answers
EXACTLY
I know a few guys that can quote EPD's all day long and not be able to tell a good bull from a bad on in reality
and the same goes the other way
My advice to blessed is to inspect the cow herd and the bulls that they came from and then look at the EPD's
Epd's are a TOOL not a end all in selcting an animal

DB
I recall a few yrs ago that you didn't know which end of a cow ate and which end pooped but you have learned from having them and being on here
maybe some people are just faster learners ;-)
I don't recall Blessed cows ever saying that SHE knew NOTHING about cows just that she had never been hands on in calving and had never encountered a certain situation
I probably come across situations on a regular basis that those who just have a handful of cows and a few acres may never encounter in their lifetime

Every area and every situation is entirely different just the same as it is with people
I hope Blessed Cows stay with these boards and asks questions as I for one will be glad to help her anyway I can and I don't discourage anyones religous beliefs that is their choice and NOT for us to Judge

How are you going to have a defined breeding season running cattle in a open range situation ? Neighbors have bulls also don't they ? Theres no reason to buy a high power bull if your neighbor is turning out a long horn cross bull.and if I lived somewhere there was truly wild cattle running loose and it was open season on them I'd be hauling a load a week to the sale barn. As far as religion I have no opinion . As far as a sick pervert impregnating a 16 year he needs to be Hung .

hey angus i dont think i ever called out bout her cow skills..jsut that the story seemed so far fetched that in my own little reality of work..home and the 40 mi between i aint never heard such a tale..if i did i meant it in a...you aint got enough common sense to see that..kind away...any dumbass greenhorn no matter how young and dumb gotta know a calf inside with the feet stickin out for 3 days aint good....what to do about it yeah....ask away..but ya gotta know it aint good right off

i sill say this is a farce of epic proportions and im havin a good time with it

chit half the time i dont even know wtf you guys are talking about but i know if i need a vet...luckily i was born with a bit of common sense i guess..got it from my DAD...a word yet to be used in this thread of ...whatever

gary

Vic: I think that you should stop being so mean to Blessed cows. :) I think that we owe it to her to answer her question.

BC: Your bull seems to be of adequate length. I would like to see more adequate muscling and more evidence of masculinity. Your bull looks like a steer to me and I would like to see a picture of his testicle area as he might be lacking in that aspect. He also could stand some more feed.

I would like to hear Doc's opinion on this bull and also what Angus Cowman thinks.

KMacGinley":k12vrmc8 said:
Vic: I think that you should stop being so mean to Blessed cows. :) I think that we owe it to her to answer her question.

BC: Your bull seems to be of adequate length. I would like to see more adequate muscling and more evidence of masculinity. Your bull looks like a steer to me and I would like to see a picture of his testicle area as he might be lacking in that aspect. He also could stand some more feed.

I would like to hear Doc's opinion on this bull and also what Angus Cowman thinks.
Greg
My observation on the bull is in his current state he is not much of a bull and if he has came from where I think he has I beleive that is pretty much par for the operation :hide:
He does loook like he could of used a few more groceries while he was trying to grow to a mature weight
He looks a little too COW like for my tatse but then again I have seen some UGLY specimens be the most fertile in the bunch they just don't have much but poor looks and genetics to pass on to the offspring

I too would like to see his scrotum

There are alot of better bulls out there so that a person wouldn't be required to own something like this one

Blessed cows":3br5rpzm said:
GrassfedBeef.jpg

Father issued a purchase order for a new herd bull recently, and this is the bull that Brother Calvin has selected. Brother Calvin came to us from the Dominican Republic along with 3 of my sister wives. I am not sure that this bull will improve our cattle. Please feel free to comment and give your opinions on our new herd bull. I am afraid that they have different tastes in cattle in the Dominican Republic.

We are currently running Limousin cross cows, including the 4 that we milk. We are planning on increasing our herd, as from time to time unbranded cows wander onto the commune and Father has said that anything wandering on to our community now belongs to us and Brother can brand them. We have 6 cows in the holding pen that Brother Calvin will brand soon before being released onto the range.

We do have epds on this bull and they are very impressive.

Couple of things I see, is that an umbilical hernia? There isn't much too him in the rear end department. Do his rear feet cross each other when he walks? As someone else pointed out, he looks more cow like.

Blessed cows":29x0mz55 said:
Amo":29x0mz55 said:
What are the EPD's?

Birth +1.2
WW +51
YW + 93
CED + 6
$EN - 5
Milk + 28

Mr. 3way: Father encourages us to broaden our horizons as we become more self sufficient. I have taken an interest in the cattle breeding, while I await the birth of my 5th child. I happened to notice the cow that was having calving problems from the window of the tower where I am on duty with the telescope each afternoon. Brother Calvin is in charge of the actual caring for the cow-herd and I was worried that he was not as attentive as he should be. As for the unbranded cows, our God is a Generous God! He always provides.

These numbers don't seem to fit the animal you show in the picture. WW andYW are really high for a bull with the lack of muscle expression. Would you mind posting his Reg number so that we can see the rest of his EPD's. Also some other pictures would help, if he is an AI calf and has the genetic potential you show in the epd's then maybe he does really just need some feed to express it. I am wondering if you would post some pictures of your cowherd. I would expecially like to see some of those Limo crosses you are milking.

Blessed cows":1mhfycny said:
Cottage farm
to reply to your statement about minnimum requirements by law
in our area there is cattle that have NO known ownership and have run in the canyons and for yrs without being branded or claimed
If some of these cattle wander in with ours and we do what the local law said we are required to do Why are we stealing
the neighboring ranchers in our area do the same thing and the brand inspector allows this also so I in NO way feel we are breaking the law
If a cow comes on our property and has a brand we inform the owner or the Brand inspector and the owner either retreives the animal or we turn it back loose on the range as required
our cattle are not fenced in except here at the corrals and traps that we have built to gather our cattle and they roam on several 1000 acres along with the neighboring ranchers cows
that is why Branding is essential
That is why since I took over the management of the cow herd I am trying to get a calving season set up so we can calve in our traps and brand the calves before releasing them on the range
My Job is to manage the cow herd and make sure tey are taken care of therefore the reason for my first question as I am wanting to be as good as manager as I can be so this operation can become more profitable
We are allowed 60 cows units on the community range and I would like to be able to calve all the cows at home in late Febuary and then release the cows back on the range in April
and then gather the calves in October to sell
The previous person taking care of the cows was not a competent person and we exiled him from the flock because he had began using liquor and philandering with some of the local Native American women which in return reflected bad upon our organization

If you want to have a feb calving window then you need to have all your cows bred mid to late may. Are you planning on confining them with your bull orturning them out with the range bulls? Also I am curious about what you plan to do with them in Oct after you wean the calves are they aboe to run free range all winter or do you need to feed them hay in the winter? I like your idea about the shot calving season but it may be hard to achieve in a free range situation.

Interesting thread

I take it you are up on the strip? Have to wonder how you will tighten up your calving, or get particular bloodlines on open range with other bulls/herds out there.

For the ones accusing of theft, in rough wild country it is easy to lose animals or not get them branded - often the ones found are from the finder's herd anyway. I'm sure I have contributed a certain small percentage to the wild cattle that run on the river - they are wild, maverick animals - strays that either get confiscated by contractors for the state, or if found on your range can be branded perfectly legally. Yes if you think you know who they belong to they should be returned, but 90% of the time if you call up a feller and tell him you have a 2 year old bull that you think might be his he isn't going to EVER tell you oh no, that can't be mine, must belong to somebody else.

As far as I know FLDS aren't anti-technology or so isolated as to not have internet connection. Heck probably faster than my dang dial-up :cry2:

No crazier or odd than any religion to me. Don't care for the misogyny, but that sure isn't exclusive to FLDS or reformed LDS for that matter. Lots of "submit to father/husband" crap in the bible (and a bit of polygamy too for that matter)

Thank you, Hippie Rancher. :D That was kind of my line of thinking as well but I hadn't put it into words yet. Whether or not Blessed cows is an imposter jerking our chains or not is none of my business but I don't see anything out of the ordinary about the cow situation.
The only way I know of to tighten a calving interval in tough country is to start with cows all bred the way you want and cull anything that can't keep up a one year calving interval. LOTS of bulls get left behind in my little corner of the world.

cow pollinater":jb8xc10u said:
Thank you, Hippie Rancher. :D That was kind of my line of thinking as well but I hadn't put it into words yet. Whether or not Blessed cows is an imposter jerking our chains or not is none of my business but I don't see anything out of the ordinary about the cow situation.
The only way I know of to tighten a calving interval in tough country is to start with cows all bred the way you want and cull anything that can't keep up a one year calving interval. LOTS of bulls get left behind in my little corner of the world.

What part of the world would that be where cattlemen can afford to leave LOTS of bulls behind. I assume you mean they fail to find them when they come off public land leases in the fall. My friend runs cattle on the BLM and he rides his lease at least twice a week looking for fence problems and sick or hurt cattle. They seem to have a pretty good handle on ALL of their cattle and rarely if ever leave one behind.

I'm new around here and don't really know enough of you seasoned posters to have an axe to grind one way or the other but IMHO the original poster is taking everyone for a wild ride here.

As old Joe Friday used to say, "just the facts".

maybe the bull she was asking advice for is what she is spewing at us...feeding us all alotta bull is more like it...btw...did yall notice there more discussion amongst us than with her

Well i guess i finally got sucked into this one as well. heck ill say somethings and maybe they you all will jump on me the same as you are on old 3way. one i havent got this many laughs for awhile except some of the jokes over in coffe shop part of CT. heck this is as good for arguing as one about longhorns and breeding them. but i guess to my points on the whole deal. one i dont much care about what your religion says about anything and if you all want to be part of a group of wives sharing one man have at it. i feel sorry for that man. i love my wife more than anything 90% of the times but that other 10% heck i wished was single. noe if i had to half 5 more for that 10% i think i would pack up and take off. now with the whole being married and having children when your 16 or even three by 19 well i know personally i dont think that is morally right cause your still a kid and aint mentaly ready to make those life decisions yet other than what your told to believe. but again thats your business i sure just wouldnt never shake the hand of the guy that would do so to you kids. and i can honestly say the kind of people i have talked to on here even if they think you all have the right to believe what ya want and do what ya want if one them men showed up spittin that come be my wife and have babies and join my other wives to you alls 16 year old daughter i bet everyone of you would either run them off or bury them so Mr 3Way :tiphat: hats off to you cause i know what your trying to get across in your statements and i believe its pretty close to that. do i think this post is :bs: :bs: yes i do i surely do. but if it isnt than blessed cow or whoever started with the question maybe you all better get some extra people helping watch them cows of yours, cause if you asking bout if its ok that calf is hanging out for 3 days you aint got no business around cattle. i mean come on guys all the people since i have joined this board get on here and ask one stupid question or say they dont have corrals and i see alot of poeple gang up on them saying they have no business in cattle but this lady asks these question and you all stand up for her for the thrashing she got from 3way. well there is only 2 differences between her and the other questions asked from new guys in regards to her question about the calf ordeal. one is hers was completely stupid to even wonder if it was ok. some these other people have questions that aint as stupid and get treated way worse and i am willing to bet part of it is because of the 2nd difference. that being is she put her religouse beliefs in on her posts and alot of poeple back off from giving that thrashing because of that cause it isnt politicallyt correct its ok to be that naive cause cause her beliefs. any other new guy asking that question would have been told 50 times didnt have no business being around cattle. so again 3way hats off for being one of the few that treated it the same as you would any other question.

and lets say its a legitamet post as far as the bull and what i think. :lol2: :lol2: it doesnt belong breeding any cattle. i wouldnt even be happy to raise it as a steer if i was a owner of lim/angus cross cattle. i have seen better bulls spotted and have them big horns so many people on here dislike. get rid of it and ask about a real bull that belongs breeding cause that things is only going to work you backwards.