What do you pay your show help?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
OK... hubby and I have broke/worked the cattle for show and they're coming along really well.
HOWEVER, I have a boy that has show experience who is willing to go with us and help out. For the last couple weeks he's come by the house religiously and helped with walking, setting them up, washing, etc. After doing this on my own for MONTHS in the FREEZING weather, I'm really appreciating this kids help. Especially since he's more comfortable with the show stick than I am! I think he would show them much better than I would.

If he goes with us, I'd like to pay him well...so what do you pay the kids that help you. Not the ones that sit on their arse and do nothing...the ones that dig in and are a true asset to your team? Is $100/day + food + lodging too much? too little? He's 20 y/o and a hard worker and would be taking off work to do this for us. Opinions?

I think you would have to at least pay him the wages he is losing, and a bonus if you have him show the calf. Just my :2cents:

That's exactly what I'm looking for ... everyone's 2cents! I agree with you... and I don't mind paying him but I want to be sure when he's sitting around talking to his other cow-buddies that what I pay him is in line with what is normal...I don't mind paying MORE than the norm as I TRULY appreciate his help but I want to be sure I don't (unintentionally) short him either. I figure if you pay someone well for a job well done then you MIGHT be able to ask them again sometime down the road. Thanks

pay for room and board at the show plus wages for working with the animals...a lot of kids will show them if you pay for a place to sleep and some food plus a little cash in pocket...at least I would.

I don't have experience with paying help (since I am the 'free' help, aka daughter.) FWIW, I was going to be paid $100/day plus gas and lodging to feed, rinse, walk, and other daily care for show calves for a week while some family friends were out of town. Maybe that will help some?

Well bless your heart! I have the free help (THREE daughters) but its almost more worth paying someone who wants to do it. Oldest daughter is (19) and does it but says we "force her" (1/2 right). I can't stand the "battle" so I'm about to just leave her home.

Middle daughter (15) has always been afraid of the cattle so we don't push her. Too bad because she's EXTREMELY competitive and I think would have the "want" to kick other's butts in the showring.

Youngest is 10 and LOVES the cattle only I'm a little hesitant as I don't want her hurt (my issue that I have to GET OVER!). I think I need to just say a prayer and turn the 10y/o loose so I have that GOOD FREE HELP a few years from now! Problem is, she weighs all of 65 lbs so she gets pushed around a lot (walking the heifers)...
Anyway, thanks (saying it FOR your folks) for being a great daughter!

How about ask the fellow what he thinks he's worth. If he's decent he will shoot you straight and the both of you will be happy. If he throws out a crazy number find a new helper.

Layne... you didn't grow up around Sarasota did you? I know that's totally off the subject but my husband grew up in Sarasota and had a buddy named Layne... I noticed you were from North Central Florida and since Layne isn't a REAL common name, just thought I'd ask.

No, I grew up around the Gainesville area. I did spend a year or so working on the I-75 corridor down near Sarasota back in 2002.

OK..thanks.. I was thinking, "how COOL would that be if I was talking to (Sarasota) Layne!" This guy was a real short guy who ALWAYS wore a cowboy hat...and his nickname was "Penguin". Hubby graduated from H.S. in 1982 and we only saw him once after that (that I can remember). Oh well... Atleast you're down in the warm climate! My FIL is still in Sarasota and we have family all over the state so we love when we get the chance to visit.

Latest posts