What do you get?

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
Can you expect to get black off springs from a black baldie when you breed to a angus bull? Or will the white face be there? Sometime, maybe.

Quite often it will be there. I have black baldies ( AngusXHereford and AngusXShorthorn) and they've been bred Black Angus and Black Galloway, then thrown black calves and sometimes calves with more white on them than the cow had.

There is no definite rule for color.

They should all be black bodied and about 25% will carry the white face.

Course you could get an oddball year where everything is black...like sometimes you get a bunch of bull calves instead of a 50/50 split.

you will get some all black offspring but most will have a little white on thier face and if you use a red angus you may see some red or red whitefaced offspring you never know what your going to get until it hits the ground :lol:

When you cross a Hereford x Black Angus, will the black baldies always have an all white face or do you get some black brockle (sp) faced calves. I was under the impression that the brockle faced calves where a result of black baldies x Black angus.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":336x54hi said:
When you cross a Hereford x Black Angus, will the black baldies always have an all white face or do you get some black brockle (sp) faced calves. I was under the impression that the brockle faced calves where a result of black baldies x Black angus.

Thanks,
Alan

The difinitive answer is "sometimes". Generally the first cross is a true baldy but may have goggle eyes. The next cross back to a solid breed could be a brockle face, solid non-white face or a baldy, or a solid non-white face with a few little splashes of white but not enough to be considered a brockle face.

dun

dun":3uqii047 said:
Alan":3uqii047 said:

Thanks,
Alan

The next cross back to a solid breed could be a brockle face, solid non-white face or a baldy, or a solid non-white face with a few little splashes of white but not enough to be considered a brockle face.

dun

Something new! What is considered a brockle face, Dun? I was always told that a brockle face (in this part of the country, anyway) is any combination of white + another color on the face, but looks like I'm wrong. Could this be another regional thing? Thanks! Dang I love this board - there is more knowledge here than one could ever acquire in a lifetime of raising cattle! :D

Brockle faced is kind of splotchy, not just coon eyes, more color then that. Spotted may be a better term then splotchy. Coon eyes (goggle eyes) is a completly different deal. We've had cows that were coon eyed throw calves that weren't and they're calves were.
A gent down the road has a herd of mostly Holstein Hereford crosses that look like big rawboned black colored Herefords. He uses an Angus bull on them most years and they still look the same, just blockier but they're still typically Hereford marked, just black.

dun

here if they have all white with no black around the eyes it's a "moon face". "baldie" is white face with black pigment around the eyes, and a "brockle" is black with spoltches of white.

dun":17rte4b3 said:
Brockle faced is kind of splotchy, not just coon eyes, more color then that. Spotted may be a better term then splotchy. Coon eyes (goggle eyes) is a completly different deal. We've had cows that were coon eyed throw calves that weren't and they're calves were.
A gent down the road has a herd of mostly Holstein Hereford crosses that look like big rawboned black colored Herefords. He uses an Angus bull on them most years and they still look the same, just blockier but they're still typically Hereford marked, just black.

dun

Thank you!

msscamp":1tel1fuc said:
dun":1tel1fuc said:

dun

Thank you!

msscamp,

Beefy just posted some pictures of calves, and one of them could be called brockled faced. I have a sim/angus heifer cross that is somewhat brockle - I'll take a pic of her.

Alan":5z4y2xrs said:

Thanks,
Alan

Some bulls, both Herf and Angus, are white-cutters. That is, they tend to throw calves with less white on them. I have had a couple of Angus bulls that threw all mottle-faced calves out of registered Hereford cows, no pure white faces. Then again, I have bred a mottled Angus x Herf cow to a Hereford bull and gotten another mottled calf. And I have bred a similar mottled cow to an Angus bull and gotten a pure white face. It's nearly impossible to predict, but I love the variety. :cboy:

Latest posts