What do you do with your sick cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
Woud you send a sick cow to the sale barn? The one's we can't cure are put down and buried.
I won't give or sell you something I won't eat myself.

tough one to answer because if you're thinking of toxic mastitis... if she doesn't die she'll be fit and healthy in about three months. Cows like that certainly do get sent for meat.

If they're not fit for human consumption - downer, calving difficulty or something like that the kennels or pet food factory might take them. They're fussy about drugs in this country though, about all the cow can have been given is metabolic treatments.

chasing%20dog.jpg

That is a cow that had black mastitis two or three months before, convalescing.

regolith":ipcptm4p said:
chasing%20dog.jpg

That is a cow that had black mastitis two or three months before, convalescing.

Would you eat her with pieces of her body falling off? Tail, nose, etc?

Maybe someone with a child can say if they would feed her to their child!

Don't send a sick cow to the sale barn. Either take a chance on doctoring her until she gets well and sell after observing proper withdrawl time, or put her down and be done with it.

John SD":28vj7r68 said:
Don't send a sick cow to the sale barn. Either take a chance on doctoring her until she gets well and sell after observing proper withdrawl time, or put her down and be done with it.
Pretty well sums it up!

The cow who presumably inspired this thread was not sent to the salebarn. By my understanding of what was said, at any rate, it'd be up to her owner to confirm any details if she wanted to. Including the fact that she was accompanied by a vet certificate when shipped.

All I can say 3way is that I know cows like that do get sent to the meatworks for human consumption. I did my AI training there... whether some of those cows I saw were processed for meat or sent down the chute for rendering I don't know, but there were certainly a few sick or injured cows in the pens.
I wouldn't eat her (73 in the photo above) or any other cow because I don't like the taste of beef... now if that was a wool coat she was wearing it might be a different thing.

regolith":dmaw59ea said:
The cow who presumably inspired this thread was not sent to the salebarn. By my understanding of what was said, at any rate, it'd be up to her owner to confirm any details if she wanted to. Including the fact that she was accompanied by a vet certificate when shipped.

All I can say 3way is that I know cows like that do get sent to the meatworks for human consumption. I did my AI training there... whether some of those cows I saw were processed for meat or sent down the chute for rendering I don't know, but there were certainly a few sick or injured cows in the pens.
I wouldn't eat her (73 in the photo above) or any other cow because I don't like the taste of beef... now if that was a wool coat she was wearing it might be a different thing.
You like the taste of wool?

regolith":20gnu4b8 said:

Where's that giant puking emoticon when you need it? :shock:

if cows are bad sick an on deaths door they die before you can get them to the sale.arouind here if a cow is that kind of sick she dies here.we got a cow now that is a cull in my eyes swing bagg down to 2 teats.but we had to dr her so thats about 60 days to get meds out of her.an she needs to go the sale after that in my eyes.but she not mine so who knows.

90% of the cattle around here that are hauled straight from the farm to the packing house or either sick, been sick or a few days away from dieing. Otherwise they would be run thru the sale barn like any other cow. Only requirement is that they have to be able to walk off the trailer. Some require that they not have fever. You can then walk around to the front of the building to "retail" and buy some fine looking baloney. :lol2:

The way things are these days. I truly bekieve that if you buy any ground meat other than ground chuck from a reputable source you are taking your life in your hands.

Being on the wholesale side of the food chain I will tell all ya'll it's a real good idea to butcher yer own. Nuff Said!

3waycross":3lagmd6w said:
The way things are these days. I truly bekieve that if you buy any ground meat other than ground chuck from a reputable source you are taking your life in your hands.

Being on the wholesale side of the food chain I will tell all ya'll it's a real good idea to butcher yer own. Nuff Said!

:nod:

Can you say ammonia treated Pink Slime?

Guru status my ass. Nice Wikipedia sources. You need to do less homework and get out in the pasture more. Very little cattle sense you bring forth.

Massey135":2nf15qru said:
Guru status my ass. Nice Wikipedia sources. You need to do less homework and get out in the pasture more. Very little cattle sense you bring forth.

All I'm seeing from you is the fact you can type no useful information at all. I've failed to see you quote anything that could support your original claim. Looks like there's no need for cattle sense to prove you wrong.

Never knew there were so many sick cows in this country.
What happened to all those USDA meat inspectors? Who puts on all those blue stamps of approval that I see?

Latest posts