Calf with a cleft lip/nostril

Help Support CattleToday:

Mooma20

Reaction score
Hello, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier. I am new to this page so i apologize. I have tried searching but I didn't have any luck finding the info I am looking for. We have a calf that was born to a heifer and he has a cleft lip/nostril. I'm looking for feeding tips. This little guy was also possibly stuck in the birth canal too long or it was a difficult labor.

Attachments

• 20220307_102832.jpg
    20220307_102832.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220307-145135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220307-145135_Gallery.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 14
welcome to the forum. I wish I could give you some advise but I have been fortunate so far that I have not had that problem. hope the little guy does well for you. good luck

welcome to the forum. I wish I could give you some advise but I have been fortunate so far that I have not had that problem. hope the little guy does well for you. good luck
Thank you! We are doing what we can for now! He made it through the night which is more than any of use thought would happen given how he looked when he got here.

We had one once that was a result of the cow eating Lupine at the wrong state of gestation. It usually doesn't have a good outcome. So sorry.

Seems like Gcreek had one that he raised up to a good enough size to eat. Don't remember it looking that bad though. He posted pictures of him on here time to time.

He is able to stand with some help and giving it his best shot! Got some fight in him! Won't let him suffer if the outcome starts to look grim. Thank you for all the comments!

Attachments

• 20220308_115725.jpg
    20220308_115725.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220308-111820_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-111820_Messages.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 19
Found one of Gcreek's threads on his calf.

Might have to use a lamb nipple of the kind that fits on a calf bottle? Has he drank from a bottle yet? Did he get clostrum?

Might have to use a lamb nipple of the kind that fits on a calf bottle? Has he drank from a bottle yet? Did he get clostrum?
We have tubed him a couple times with powdered colostrum and have tried to put him in with his mom. She took him back so we will have to see if he can suck! If not we bought a lamb nipple to try! Thank you!

That's good! Do you have a place where you can put the cow in a shoot and milk her clostrum into a bottle for the calf?

We had one like that about 3 years ago. He managed to suck the cow, sloppily, but did grow. He would get right in the bunk and eat grain along with the rest but did manage to drop alot back into the bunk... We did put him in the freezer at about 2 yrs old... I think he weighed around 900 live weight. Meat was good. He wouldn't have brought anything at the stockyard and he was one of the first to come in so we kept him in with calves smaller than him and he taught several groups to come in the barn when they were weaned off the cows. Plus they didn't push him out of the feed. If he had not continued to slowly gain he would have been butchered sooner.

I had one almost exactly like that last year. She was really slow to get up and then I had to feed her. I fed her, kept her going for weeks until it became obvious that there was more than one problem going on. When we put her down, I had a good look inside her mouth: her palate simply wasn't "finished" and it wasn't just the structure, it was also the tissues that covered those parts of her mouth, so she had ulceration along the edges of where the palate stopped. It must have been really painful all the time. If your calf were mine, knowing what I do now, I'd put it out of its misery now, rather than make him suffer trying to keep him going.

Ken - explain???
Mooma - welcome to the board. Sorry about your calf. As asked, has the calf gotten any colostrum? Do you know how to tube a calf? You did not say if the calf has been able to suck.
Jeanne, I was just having a dig at our friend that recommends the homeopathic cell salts for all the under and over bites that everyone's calves seem to have. I thought she would be all over this one.

Ken

Latest posts