Slick Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Been culling hard doers and using moderate bulls for a couple years. Warm er in November and early December this year. May calves are still on the cows, all eating some average grass hay, and looking good, except one. An old purchased cow who is hard to catch... Still raises an above average calf but is an independent thinker.

I am considered old by some people. I am difficult to catch and the wife says I am definitely an independent thinker (or bull headed). So what is the problem? I don't see a problem with those characteristics. She raises an above average calf....

Good human qualities aren't good cow qualities. Sometimes a bush runner just runs off herself, usually she has followers. When I first started culling for it it felt like the one I culled was always replaced. Until she wasn't and my life got way easier every time I have to catch cows.

I learned the hard way though. The last bad one I had ran off with her calf, a couple other cows and $15000 worth of bulls. She'd lead them to the woods and hide them so well I could look for hours and not see them. Took 5 days to sort out. I've got better things to do.

If I have a cow that is thinner than the rest at weaning, and she has raised a good to great calf, I will keep her IF - 1. she has bred back on time. and 2 - she puts her weight back on prior to calving.
Some cows just really put a lot into their calves.

If I have a cow that is thinner than the rest at weaning, and she has raised a good to great calf, I will keep her IF - 1. she has bred back on time. and 2 - she puts her weight back on prior to calving.
Some cows just really put a lot into their calves.
I agree. I'd far rather a cow get pulled down raising a good calf if she does as you say. What I can't abide is a cow getting fat all summer and bringing in a poor calf.

I have one that had a calf in late June. Open the gate for the bull in early Aug to give the remaining ones a month to bring the little ones into the world. All now bred back but her, she beat up the bull every time he's near.:unsure: Havent ever had that problem til now. He's just not her type I suppose.

Latest posts