what do you consider the most dangerous

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":20bzr02r said:
Commercialfarmer":20bzr02r said:
Caustic Burno":20bzr02r said:
Cow that has lost it and is ready to kill you and all flight has left only fight remains.
Before I redid my pens and was younger with a lot less sense owned some of them.
Got in my forties and got knocked smooth out by one.
That is when the light bulb went on I was getting too old for these rodeos and needed
a better pen along with a better cow.

I was writing at the same time, similar thought.

But sounds like you could of used a good dog CB. There is a point where a nasty old rip gets tired and mad and just wants to fight. There is another point below that where she just wants a way out because she's even more tired of the dog. Of course, she goes to town just the same. But without the concussion. ;-)

I don't have that type of cattle anymore you are dead right about the dog.
Never work the ones I have now without the dog. Nothing like a Jack Russell hanging on an ear or nose
to divert their attention. She just sits and watches until I tell her to get a hold. My biggest problem today is a bucket, act like range cubes are crack cocaine. They have learned where the buffer zone is if they don't want a bloody nose respect it. I have swung from both sides of the pendulum from nuts to too gentle.
I think these scare me worse at times.

Agree CB. Got a few that will jump right in my hip pocket if I would let them. A very large appetite on four legs and only one thing on that peabrain, that feedbucket.

Nesikep":34dqkai5 said:
Unless it's a GOOD dog, they can be more of a danger than anything.. if they don't know what they're doing they can just get the cow riled up at the wrong time

You're right about that. I was helping a guy work cattle one time who had some so-called cow dogs. I had a group of cattle walking nice and slow down a fence in the direction I wanted them to go when one of those dogs got in front of them and ran them right back past me. I don't think I've been that mad at a dog before or since.

Driving down the highway hauling cows. I say that because there are more fatalities while driving that there are while working cows.

Jogeephus":wnlgndb6 said:
IMO, that youngster is just wanting to get away from you and you can use this to your benefit but that sage old cow who is familiar with people is the one that will ruin your day.....especially if she has a calf.

I agree... Calves that have never been handled before get wild but nothing IMO compares to a mama and her calf.

Indian cows are a handful to work.. I hauled some from a reserve, and there was one little mean black witch there with horns.. she'd come after you from wherever she could find you... a week later she 'treed' the owner in the back of the feed wagon.. she got a .308 to the head and that fixed her good.

I am far more scared of a horse than I am of the rankest bovine in the world. Been around enough dairy bulls, bucking bulls, mad mommas and crazy yearlings that I quite confident in my ability to stay out of danger. Dam horse can flip a switch at any moment and put me in the hospital. About 80% of why we no longer have horses

M-5":2zxcsik7 said:
I only fear what I cant see. everything else requires common sense and is only a risk if your stupid.

So smart you only fear the invisible. Boyhowdy that's some kinda smart. ;-)

fenceman":1jly5xdm said:
M-5":1jly5xdm said:
I only fear what I cant see. everything else requires common sense and is only a risk if your stupid.

We should all be so smart...

M-5":27b6skl9 said:
fenceman":27b6skl9 said:
M-5":27b6skl9 said:

FM just think about my statement. It has a deeper meaning.

Ditto ;-)

Caustic Burno":2gkj65se said:
Actually the most dangerous is a mad woman.
:lol: :nod: You are probably correct CB.
However there are only a few things that really get me fired up.........Lying of any kind and mistreating an animal! :mad: You wouldn't want me to see you do either one of those things! :cowboy:

bball":2gai8udh said:
My biggest problem today is a bucket, act like range cubes are crack cocaine. They have learned where the buffer zone is if they don't want a bloody nose respect it. I have swung from both sides of the pendulum from nuts to too gentle.
I think these scare me worse at times.

Agree CB. Got a few that will jump right in my hip pocket if I would let them. A very large appetite on four legs and only one thing on that peabrain, that feedbucket.[/quote]

+1

Latest posts