what do you consider the most dangerous

Help Support CattleToday:

If you get outside of cattle baling equipment. I know several people who have lost body parts messing with baling equipment.

A pen full of weanlings is my opinion of the most dangerous. They can be milling around all calmly and one little noise can send them stampeding into heap piled in a corner. When we had a new set of weanlings we do not walk through that pen. Some have seemed worse than others. I pen of 10 to 15 arent that bad, but we've kept 100 once and you have one bad seed that screams run, its a big danger...

Most dangerous task would be either working with stubborn bulls or overprotective momma cows. We never had any problem with working with a huge group of weanlings/yearlings, other than they kicks and jumps.

Snakes--lightning--yearlings. Yearlings, because I don't normally expect bad behavior from them--I know to watch the bulls and the mommas.

Next on the list, hungry bucket cows crowding ya if you have anything in your hand that even remotely resembles a container. (Never ever ever walk down to your pond with a minnow bucket full of shiners)

AGE : From experience , your reaction time slows down, and then you realize it is the best to get help Even if it is hired help. I know several people my age that have been seriously hurt that has changed their lifestyle from cattle and equipment accidents.
At 70 feeding range cubes from a 50 lb sack with 30 cows trying to run over me is starting to concern me. I have noticed my reaction time slowing and I am getting hit more, may be time to price a range cube feeder. :cboy:

greybeard":1eqc8v3q said:
Snakes--lightning--yearlings. Yearlings, because I don't normally expect bad behavior from them--I know to watch the bulls and the mommas.

Next on the list, hungry bucket cows crowding ya if you have anything in your hand that even remotely resembles a container. (Never ever ever walk down to your pond with a minnow bucket full of shiners)

I :clap: :clap: that's the point I was trying to make in my op. Your always watching that bull, you know to leave that old witch be when she has a calf.
It's what your not looking out for that will get you

I got a kick in the shin last night when I went into the pen feeding.. from a yearling heifer (none too bright that one).. she got a couple good swift kicks back from me. Around here, most dangerous thing is a cow shoving one you're standing beside over top of you... There's some cows that are just over-dominant, and if they keep up perpetual aggressive behavior they tend to grow wheels. I know all my cows pretty well, some I trust at calving time, others, even though they're tame and all, there's something in their eye I don't quite feel comfortable with.. the bulls, well, same goes for them.. always have to have eyes in the back of your head, but the two we have are pretty well behaved.. doesn't matter if they're in the middle of breeding a cow, they don't mind you around.

lots of dangerous equipment around the farm.. haying stuff at the top of the list.. tractors, there's better ones and worse ones.. Honestly I think the MF165 is one of the most dangerous, short wheelbase, light front ends, grabby brakes, high center of gravity, and even the PTO engagement are all serious hazards on them..

My dad broke 4 ribs falling off a hay stack 10 years ago.. that was no fun

Jogeephus":mjepyopq said:
Animal I have the most fear of is a horse. I don't trust them.

That is where the majority of my injuries and broken bones have come from.

Having spent 48 years with them, in all capacities, its bound to happen.

I do not fear horses, I respect what they are capable of.

Cow that has lost it and is ready to kill you and all flight has left only fight remains.
Before I redid my pens and was younger with a lot less sense owned some of them.
Got in my forties and got knocked smooth out by one.
That is when the light bulb went on I was getting too old for these rodeos and needed
a better pen along with a better cow.

The older I'm getting, the more I respect anything bigger than me. I can't switch directions or jump a fence like I could. Bulls that are docile and then suddenly turn may rank the highest in my books. A new mama is almost a given for having a bad day if you aren't careful. I think I put calves in the same category. Since they haven't been around for long and aren't being used to being worked, I don't have an expectation for them to be docile. Most are, but I just don't expect it. Maybe it's because of growing up with stockers. Seemed like every load had rodeo waiting to happen.

I've been bruised but never broken anything with cattle. One that made me stop and think for a minute- 900 lb heifer kicked and bent every key in my hip pocket once, 3 inches to the left and it wouldn't of been pretty. Horses on the other hand....

Caustic Burno":27r3u4gg said:
Cow that has lost it and is ready to kill you and all flight has left only fight remains.
Before I redid my pens and was younger with a lot less sense owned some of them.
That is when the light bulb went on I was getting too old for these rodeos and needed

I was writing at the same time, similar thought.

But sounds like you could of used a good dog CB. There is a point where a nasty old rip gets tired and mad and just wants to fight. There is another point below that where she just wants a way out because she's even more tired of the dog. Of course, she goes to town just the same. But without the concussion. ;-)

Commercialfarmer":13fxh4j0 said:
Caustic Burno":13fxh4j0 said:

I was writing at the same time, similar thought.

But sounds like you could of used a good dog CB. There is a point where a nasty old rip gets tired and mad and just wants to fight. There is another point below that where she just wants a way out because she's even more tired of the dog. Of course, she goes to town just the same. But without the concussion. ;-)

I don't have that type of cattle anymore you are dead right about the dog.
Never work the ones I have now without the dog. Nothing like a Jack Russell hanging on an ear or nose
to divert their attention. She just sits and watches until I tell her to get a hold. My biggest problem today is a bucket, act like range cubes are crack cocaine. They have learned where the buffer zone is if they don't want a bloody nose respect it. I have swung from both sides of the pendulum from nuts to too gentle.
I think these scare me worse at times.

Unless it's a GOOD dog, they can be more of a danger than anything.. if they don't know what they're doing they can just get the cow riled up at the wrong time

Latest posts