What do ya'll think of this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl10_2

Reaction score
He's 15 months old and a bottle baby.

P71607041.jpg

Looks like he is put together pretty decent enough. Although I would say that he looks rather small for being 15months old. I dont know if being bottle calf means a lot in regards to their mature size, but i thought pinz were bigger than that.

he looks ok to me. the size of his head concerns me a little. looks pretty big in that first picture. also, what is that in the background of the first picture?

I'm not trying to be mean here but i don't like him. He's to narrow in the rear and at 15 mo's he should be alot bigger all over. I guess this could be attributed to his being bottle fed.
On a positive note i do like his coloration and disposition. Who was his sire?

He is to fine bone for my liking. I like bigger boned cattle with a lot more frame than what this bull has. I would say that his structure isn't to bad, but he should weigh about 1600 lbs or more at 15 months. I would also be very concerned about his head. This bull looks to have a block head, possibly may result in calving ease problems. Anyhow, I really do like his pattern and disposition. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":352778mf said:
He is to fine bone for my liking. I like bigger boned cattle with a lot more frame than what this bull has. I would say that his structure isn't to bad, but he should weigh about 1600 lbs or more at 15 months. I would also be very concerned about his head. This bull looks to have a block head, possibly may result in calving ease problems. Anyhow, I really do like his pattern and disposition. :cboy:

Is there any published data about calving ease and shape of the head? I have not seen or heard of it.

I think he's alright.. though I think he might make a better steer than bull. I agree with others on the size of his head and he's a little too short/small for his age for my likings.

Hill Creek Farm":2a42tmv2 said:

I would have to agree. Even bottle raised, he is kinda small.
I also would like to know what that is loading on the trailer in the background of the first pic?

Are you sure he's not closer to 10 months? He's not showing very much maturity for a 15 month old bull. If you said he was 8-10 months I'd say he was decent, but for 15 months I wouldn't keep him to breed with.

Take into mind, he was born 17 days early, as to the fact that mom wouldn't eat and was down. And also had a rough time all last year and through the winter.

Chris H":20w6lca6 said:
Are you sure he's not closer to 10 months? He's not showing very much maturity for a 15 month old bull. If you said he was 8-10 months I'd say he was decent, but for 15 months I wouldn't keep him to breed with.

He's a bottle calf.

MikeC":1c28lobw said:
Chris H":1c28lobw said:

He's a bottle calf.

By 15 months I would expect a bottle calf to be caught up. We pulled some babies off a few old cows last year, cows went for kill, calves sold to a friend who bottle fed them. At 12 months you can't tell the difference between them and calves raised by the cow.

You'd expect a calf born early, being bottle fed, never seeing his mom, to be as big as most animals his age?