What do ya'll think of this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl10_2":2rt8w8qa said:
You'd expect a calf born early, being bottle fed, never seeing his mom, to be as big as most animals his age?
Yes. And if he's not I don't think I'd be keeping him to breed.
Look at this way, very few dairy calves ever nurse their mommas for more than their first meal. Being bottle calves does not stop them from breeding when 14-15 months. Your bull does not look like he has the sexual maturity to breed at this time, and that would worry me.

And there was no need to go PM'ing me just because you don't like the opinion I gave. You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Chris H":2kyj3c2u said:
Cowgirl10_2":2kyj3c2u said:
You'd expect a calf born early, being bottle fed, never seeing his mom, to be as big as most animals his age?
Look at this way, very few dairy calves ever nurse their mommas for more than their first meal. Being bottle calves does not stop them from breeding when 14-15 months. Your bull does not look like he has the sexual maturity to breed at this time, and that would worry me.

I'll agree with Chris on this one. I would also want to know what made him a bottle baby. I didn't read the whole thread but, If mamma didn't have enough milk or had other potentially inheritable "problems" that caused the calf to be a bottle baby...I wouldn't keep him as a breeder either.

What is wrong with the bull being loaded into the trailer in one of the pictures? Why not keep him for a while longer. He looked plenty big.

Are pinzgauer's horned? His head looks like he was dehorned, nothing wrong with that. I think the position he's standing makes his head look a bit out of proportion in the picture.

Are pinzgauer's horned? His head looks like he was dehorned, nothing wrong with that. I think the position he's standing makes his head look a bit out of proportion in the picture

Ours have been horned lately. He was dehorned at around a month old with the paste. There are some polled.

Chris H":3gasvaft said:
Cowgirl10_2":3gasvaft said:

I have to agree. I also agree with Muratic, unless his mother stepped in a hole and broke her leg or something else along those lines, I would not keep the genetics that resulted in this calf becoming a bottle baby in my herd, much less propogate them.

All our pinz were horned at one time we dont have any that are polled. Some ppl like the polled variety but for me i would rather just dehorn.

I'll just say this....not every friggin' cattle operation needs to have 15 month old bulls that weigh 1500lbs. I don't see too much wrong with his conformation - if anything - so his size should be up to the breeder. If they want to breed bulls that mature a little smaller than some, like the Kit Pharo frame 2-4 category, that's their bloody business. If they want to breed them to be pushing a ton by the time they're 15-18months, that's their dam business. It's too big for me, but it's THEIR business.

I'll stick to judging the shape, not the size, and I think his shape is just fine.

Latest posts