What do ya'll think of this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok........great feedback. The swayback is definitley not anywhere near as bad in person as in the photos. I will post newer pics when I can take them. I thought I would get new pics today but it was raining and I didn't want to get my camera wet. I will take more tomorrow.

Here is his sire and dam info:

Sire = Larson Red Lightning reg# 43865
Dam = BHC Miss Barney reg# 629541

He is of LMAN KING ROB lineage.

Hewre are his EPD's as listed on the paperwork:

BW 2.1
WW 32
YW 56
Milk 19
TM 35
CED 1
CETM 2
STAY 16
BFAT .02
REA -.01
MARB -.09

Personally, I'ld pass.

BW is too high, calving easue numbers for his daugfhters are too low and the carcass is just a bit too low. But that's to my taste. He's niether a good candidate for a terminal or a maternal bull.

dun

He get's his topline from the King ROb. Lot's of guts weighing in their. Nothing wrong with lot's of guts, for foraging ability, but will decrease yeild on teh rail. Probably won't hurt you a bit.

$1500? Buy him.

mtnman

DiamondSCattleCo":1kw1lsb1 said:
testicles appear to be of decent size, and not too much leg. Hows he walk?
On which pic can you get a good view of his testicles.

mtnman":1rt91ycd said:
He get's his topline from the King ROb. Lot's of guts weighing in their. Nothing wrong with lot's of guts, for foraging ability, but will decrease yeild on teh rail. Probably won't hurt you a bit.

$1500? Buy him.

mtnman
Dang it, I hate to do this, and I hope and pray that God will forgive me, but I have to agree with mtman on this subject only. Buy him at the price.

Ok....here are the better pics that I promised. Truth is that now I have bought the bull. I was able to get him cheaper than I was originally quoted. Man needed money and I liked the bull.

Also there is a pic of one of my heifers.

bull036.jpg

bull035.jpg

bull039.jpg

bull040.jpg

Hoss,
i dont think you'll be disappointed with him. I'm glad you got him for cheaper though. whats up with his funny hair-do?

Beffy, I had just sprayed him for potential lice before turning him out with my other stuff. He took to rubbing a tree and rolled up his hair.

Did you just throw the cow picture in to see if anyone knew the difference?

dun

Just goes to show you the importance of a good quality pic. The bull does not even look like the same bull as posted in the pic's at the beginning of this thread. The first pics really made him to appear to have some serious flaws. His topline looks much straighter, he looks evenly proportioned from front to back, and overall he appears to be in good shape.

You purchased him cheaper than the original price...I personally think you came out fine. Still young enough to give you several years of good service. Congrats on your purchase.

The new pic looks much better, but I thought he looked decent to begin with. He!!, maybe he does look like my 14 year old Arabian, but he's got substance. New pictures are a total change. I think you made a great deal. Congrats.

Hoss- I must recant my former comments regarding the bull! This is a classic example of attempting to judge an animal by observing only one picture - or even a dozen pictures! He appears to be a much more balanced bull than the original picture you presented, and even if you had paid $1500 for him you came out ahead on the deal. His progeny will be the proof of the pudding. Good nutrition and a COMPLETE mineral program and you will see some big changes phenotypically and performance-wise in a few months. Your decision-making is right on target! Congratulations. This is a good lesson for all of us.

DOC HARRIS

DOC, the farm he came off of was feeding hay only with little suplements. I thought that he was in pretty good shape considering. He should do much better on my place as we feed quality hay, a crushed corn ration and free choice minerals. I was sold on his disposition. While he will move away a foot or two when touched he does not seem to mind someone being close to him. He loads easy and directing him into corrals and chutes was no problem. He seems as docile as a puppy. Of course we trust no bull or cow for that matter. It is just nice not having to poke, prod, cuss and yell to get one to do what you need.

I found out that one of his calves is winning allot of the local and regional shows this year. I hope I have success with him. Thanks for all of the info everyone offered up.

The first pics were taken by my dad from much further distance than the second set that I took. The bull's back swags in when he stands sort of hip shot and rolls his gut to one side. The second set of pics show him in normal standing posture.

One thing that makes me feel good is that he has only been in my pasture for 3 or 4 days and so far two neighboring cattle farmers have stopped to see if they could buy him :)

I'll keep everyone posted on his progress as he goes to work.

Latest posts