What did I see today

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I saw an older man with a Make America Great Cap on and a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said Vote Trump Make America Great . His car was a TOYOTA PRIUS.

Toyota has a parts plant about 25 miles from here. They employ a lot of people from this area. They are adding on and going to hire 250 more.

kenny thomas":u0hyybcy said:
Toyota has a parts plant about 25 miles from here. They employ a lot of people from this area. They are adding on and going to hire 250 more.

How many tax breaks did your state have to give them to come there. And all of the corporate profits go to Japan.

Tax breaks have been a normal part of business for years. My favorite story is about Kraft Foods and McKinney, TX back in the 60's, I think. As I heard the story: Kraft wanted to put their plant in McKinney and was asking for a package deal on taxes and water. The council turned them down and basically told them they could pay just like anyone else. Kraft went to Garland and Garland prospered because of it. McKinney stayed the same small place until the old heads finally died off and they hired a city manager from Garland. I think the moral is to suck it up for a few years and you shall prosper.

hurleyjd":3jc65dto said:
kenny thomas":3jc65dto said:

How many tax breaks did your state have to give them to come there. And all of the corporate profits go to Japan.

My state did not give any tax breaks. But the reason is the factory is in TN but only 25 miles away. But I understand what you are saying. With the coal economy in my area crashed any job is very welcome and a factory with over 500 employees is a god sent.

That seems to be the only way to get any business in now days. Even the mom N pops are asking for tax breaks here. Town next to us consigned a loan for an rv company to build. They closed up a year later and left the town on the hook.

It always puzzles me how some people think giving a tax break is like some sort of charity from the government. When did YOUR money become theirs? My town always has its hand out for grant money. They call it free money and they waste it on dumb stuff like the money fell off a tree. I feel sorry for those who had to work their azz off so the government can waste it. So when I hear the word tax break I am happy because to me this is money they bureaucrats can't squander.

I agree with that point and it's a good perspective. I do have a hard time when my county gives Dell a big property tax break and he closes shop a few years later and moves that business and workers to Tennessee.

Is Dell not still located in Round Rock?
(The Dell plant in Lebanon Tenn closed 2 years after the Austin-to-Tenn move--my son used to work there)

I saw a new one (to me) yesterday at a local flea market.
"Rednexican Antiques and Collectibles"
I thought 'only in Texas.....'

hurleyjd":1j93ue9c said:
kenny thomas":1j93ue9c said:

They have a truck plant in San Antonio. The 1850 folks that work there put their payroll into the local economy, as well as all the sales tax on the cars and the profits the dealers make off the trucks, not to mention dealer payrolls and sales. Much more too it than simple corporate profit going to Japan. Might even be more than one Toyota stock holder on this message board. (dividends and profits). :nod: :nod:

hurleyjd":oppsmgy0 said:
I saw an older man with a Make America Great Cap on and a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said Vote Trump Make America Great . His car was a TOYOTA PRIUS.

The Prius used to come from the factory with "Obama-Biden" bumper sticker. "Co-Exist" was an available option.

hurleyjd":2vc2tji5 said:
You saw someone that has seen the light and come in from the darkness.
Could have been a company car too.

john250":xgh7841s said:
hurleyjd":xgh7841s said:

The Prius used to come from the factory with "Obama-Biden" bumper sticker. "Co-Exist" was an available option.
$

hurleyjd":1lkquzbf said:

Thanks for sharing your sightings of a older man with a small car who is thinking clearly.
It makes my day.. :D

Latest posts