What cuts to get on a half of beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

griz

Reaction score
Taken my angus heifer in for butcher and want to maximize the number of steaks I can get out of her. I have never done this before and am not sure if it's as simple as letting the butcher know that or do I need to be specific as to how many pounds I want etc? I also know we will want quite a bit of hamburger but I certainly do not want to sacrifice other cuts for the sake of cheap hamburger. Suggestions?

Griz

There are only so many steaks on a steer. You can have some of the more variety type cuts cut into steaks but they're not something you would recognize, i.e. clod steak, neck steak, etc. Generally if you tell the butcher what you want, they will do the best they can to please you. They're the pros, if they aren't they shouldn't be cutting beef.

dun

Like Dun said you'll only get so many T-bones. To get a better feel you can talk to the folks at your locker plant. Besides which cuts you want you'll need to tell them how thick to make them. You might want to have them tenderize the round steaks for you which will cost a few cents per pound. If you have kids or use a lot of hamburger you can get them to grind the lower end cuts and some of the roasts along with what they would grind anyway. They will fill out some type of form for your order. You can use that as a guide on what kind of info they need. It's also the way they will bill you. Keep it to use as a reminder next time you drop off a calf. Then you'll know what changes you want to make on your next order.

Craig-TX

You can get more steaks by telling the butcher the thickness you want.
I wouldn't recommend less than 1".
Also tell him to cut all your roasts into steaks.

Hillbilly

I tell my cutter nothing of less than sirloin...balance hamburger. You could always have the chuck eyes cut out if you can deal with the marbling.
1 1/2" for omnivores; 2" for carnivores.

Craig-TX":zfb982a8 said:
Like Dun said you'll only get so many T-bones. To get a better feel you can talk to the folks at your locker plant. Besides which cuts you want you'll need to tell them how thick to make them. You might want to have them tenderize the round steaks for you which will cost a few cents per pound. If you have kids or use a lot of hamburger you can get them to grind the lower end cuts and some of the roasts along with what they would grind anyway. They will fill out some type of form for your order. You can use that as a guide on what kind of info they need. It's also the way they will bill you. Keep it to use as a reminder next time you drop off a calf. Then you'll know what changes you want to make on your next order.

Craig-TX

Average 7 T Bones a side at one inch or better, not near as many as people think on a side of beef. I used to be amazed when people would come into the market and thought they had been shorted on T bones or sirlions. I got to where I would bring the customers back in the market and break down a side of beef. Once this was done they had a much better understanding where everything came from and how many of certain cuts they would get.

Don't forget to save the skirt steak, makes great fajitas. think it is also called the flank steak.

image9QP.JPG

In y opinion the liver and flank steak are the 2 best cuts on a steer. Tri-tip isn't too shabby either.

dun

To better answer your question you can figure 7 to 8 t bones 1 porter house ,1 rump roast 7-8 sirlions, 12-15 rounds . Tip roast is great to make veal cutlets.
The forequarter 8-9 ribeyes now you are running out of quality steaks. Of coarse you have short ribs, shoulder roast, brisket and neck left. The neck is ok boned rolled and tied for grilling , not really a great roast IMO better for hamburger. As a journeyman butcher I learned what is right for you is not right for the next family . Some want 3/4" cuts to maximize steaks and others want that 1 1/2" big juicy steak, both yield the same amount of pounds lot of difference in the number of packages you pick up.

dun":10ismc34 said:
In y opinion the liver and flank steak are the 2 best cuts on a steer. Tri-tip isn't too shabby either.

dun

I just about fell out of my chair when I read that. I used to tell Mom that if she was going to fry calf liver she might as well go ahead and fry calf lung along with it since both are just nasty organs. At least lungs aren't filters.

But then I knew you were kidding when you included fajita meat among the best cuts.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":3jouqeuv said:
I used to tell Mom that if she was going to fry calf liver she might as well go ahead and fry calf lung along with it since both are just nasty organs. At least lungs aren't filters.

Craig-TX
I have always liked liver too. I think as long as you don't get one from a steer who was a heavy drinker,the filter is usually in pretty good shape. ;-)

I had liver and onions for supper last night. It is also one of my favorite cuts. There isn't much on a steer that isn't one of my favorite cuts though.

JB

I've eaten some fairly exotic food and enjoyed it but I've never been able to gag down plain old calf liver. Whew that stuff is nasty. My folks used to raz me that I'd learn to like it when I grew up. In that case I'm still not grown. Frying liver is a fine way to foul up a perfectly good onion. I don't even like to be in the house is somebody's frying liver. It's about the only thing off of a calf or a hog that I don't have any appreciation for. For catfish bait it's OK. And I love to eat the catfish that ate the liver. But liver on my plate? I'd have to be mighty hungry to even consider it. Each to his own.

Craig-TX

Latest posts