What could be wrong with black angus cow, again????

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Angus Guy, I don;t know, wouldn;t it have to been reabsorbed earlier. won;t it have rotten up a lot at this time, It didn;t look or smell rotten. Any other opinions etc on this??Merry

mermill2":b150f39q said:
Hi Angus Guy, I don;t know, wouldn;t it have to been reabsorbed earlier. won;t it have rotten up a lot at this time, It didn;t look or smell rotten. Any other opinions etc on this??Merry

Oxygen is required for a calf to 'rot'. As long as the cervical plug was in place, oxygen could not get to the dead calf and the bacteria that causes the rotten smell could not grow. As for the reabsorbtion, once a calf that is 'in utero' gets to a certain size, I'm not sure it's possible for the mother to reabsorb it due to the size and density of the bone structure. I could be wrong on that, though.

So from what I have gathered this cow has never delivered a healthy calf? why even question it, get rid of her if you sale her to someone else you might want to be generous enough to tell the buyer your calving experiences with that cow, I would not keep her, I have never seen anything like those pictures, nor has our family( sorry tried to get info for you) wish i could help,

Could it be the combination of the genes from the bull and cow? I'm no expert in genetics, but I think recessiveness has to have a full match to become a physical trait.

Either way - that's a cull cow. 3 dead calves in 2 years?

Gary bought that cow at a stock sale. I don;t like stock sale cattle, I myself , have wondered if she has ever had a live calf. I forget her age, she was bought last year. This cow could have been passed on , like this for a few years. Who knows??? I want to say more, but I may say it sometime, but not right now.I believe that she was 7, 8, or 9 years old. he bought 3 pregnant cows at the same time,last year; Only one calf survived, the one I tube feed. One of the calves was pulled, too big a calf, calf died, and the black angus cow, that we have been talking about, found her calf dead. It is Gary's cow, he will decide what to do with this cow. I would rather he not buy cows or calves at the stock yard auction. He got a cow and calf pair> Little calf scoured the next day. I tubed electroytes and what ever else, she needed. She would not take a bottle. It would have been easier. She is doing fine, now. Merry

Latest posts