What causes this?

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I noticed this when feeding this afternoon. The cow is at least a month or more away from calving. It's a thick mucus like stuff. Didn't see any blood.

Thanks Kenny kinda had me worried I have nevered notice it on any of the cows before. I was worried that she may have been trying to calve early or something.

I've notice that some cows do that more often then others. I have one cow that always has that about a month, month and half before calving.

I had one that did that at least three weeks before calving,maybe longer. I was afraid something was bad wrong. Everything turned out fine.

it's normal.. not exactly sure of it's origin either, but about 1-2 months before calving we start seeing it... especially if they've just been laying down

It is the mucus plug in the cervix. When a cow is in heat you will see the same thing except clear because it is discharged regularly. Typically the plug will be discharged a week or two before calving. It is caused by the dialation of the cervix and hormones starting to crank again.

Jake":cwnf40s0 said:
It is the mucus plug in the cervix. When a cow is in heat you will see the same thing except clear because it is discharged regularly. Typically the plug will be discharged a week or two before calving. It is caused by the dialation of the cervix and hormones starting to crank again.
When my children were small they would come in the house and tell my wife that a cow had lost her plug. I would come in and have to explain to my wife what a plug was.
My children spent all their time outside with me and knew a lot.

Yes the mucous plug just slowly softens and erodes away. It is pretty common for mine to start several weeks in advance also.