what cattle do not like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Can someone please tell me what cattle do not like, as in smell, food, etc.

Tenaj: it was a serious question and I had hoped for intelligent answers, none available on this site.
The very first answer was the smell of predators and have you never seen how cattle react to the smell of blood and death in a slaughterhouse?

Next was rancid feed. (You think that's a joke?)
Force feeding cattle meat and bone meal and fish meal by-products is unnatural.
But apparently you can't pick up on what's being put down, need to be spoon fed?
The same with cattle don't like insects, and need pest control for flies, lice and ticks.

A childish question and a childish response from a childish one and done first timer.

The very first answer was the smell of predators and have you never seen how cattle react to the smell of blood and death in a slaughterhouse?

Next was rancid feed. (You think that's a joke?)
Force feeding cattle meat and bone meal and fish meal by-products is unnatural.
But apparently you can't pick up on what's being put down, need to be spoon fed?
The same with cattle don't like insects, and need pest control for flies, lice and ticks.

A childish question and a childish response from a childish one and done first timer.
I really think that "smell of blood/death" thing is an old wives tale. I've killed cattle in the field and gutted them, and their herdmates have been curious and came over to sniff what's going on and even stick their tongue out to taste something... and then they go back to grazing.
Cattle in any new situation and being pushed into a chute are going to be bawling and acting like prey animals.

I really think that "smell of blood/death" thing is an old wives tale. I've killed cattle in the field and gutted them, and their herdmates have been curious and came over to sniff what's going on and even stick their tongue out to taste something... and then they go back to grazing.
Cattle in any new situation and being pushed into a chute are going to be bawling and acting like prey animals.
I don't know if it's coincidental or not. I've never had any issues with cattle not wanting to get off the trailer when going to the stockyards, they always jump right off. When taking to the slaughter house they always seem very noticeably reluctant to off load.

I don't know if it's coincidental or not. I've never had any issues with cattle not wanting to get off the trailer when going to the stockyards, they always jump right off. When taking to the slaughter house they always seem very noticeably reluctant to off load.
I have noticed the same thing.

Had a couple piggers that were show pigs. Used to loading an unloading regularly. Liked to NEVER got them out of the trailer at slaughter time.

My cows don't like milkweed, thistles, goldenrod, and whatever other weeds decide to fill in my pasture if I don't keep it brush hogged lol. I have a cow that grew up on grain as a show cow, and she had to switch to grass when I bought her. She hated me until I started giving her feed once a week. Now I'm her absolute fave person in the world lol

I would suggest Story's books on raising beef cattle. Excellent information.

It's partially true. Cattle aren't necessarily bothered by blood and guts, but they can smell if the animal was in distress at the time of death, and respond accordingly. Cattle shouldn't be put off by a well-run slaughter facility more than any other new place.

It's partially true. Cattle aren't necessarily bothered by blood and guts, but they can smell if the animal was in distress at the time of death, and respond accordingly. Cattle shouldn't be put off by a well-run slaughter facility more than any other new place.
This! Any time I've unloaded a cow from the trailer back into the herd after any procedure at the vet involving blood (especially an abscess), they go nuts. Last year I found a heavy bred cow that had bloated, had evidently bit her tongue hard enough that blood was gushing from her mouth and she had a rectal prolapse. She was almost dead when I found her and was horrified that other cows were head-butting, almost pummeling her - and it sure didn't seem as if they were encouraging her to get up. And then there's the bulls. Cow had part of her tail ripped off a couple years ago and there was blood everywhere. The cows were chill but the bulls were bellowing and all fired up.

One time we butchered a steer between the house and the barn. A couple days later for some reason I put the herd into that area. The bull came to the spot where the steer had been bled and he went beserk. He was beating up the cows, trees, anything in his path. I slipped away and stayed hid until he calmed down. Then I just opened the gate and let them go back to the field on their own.

Not in my experience. When the dogs growl and harass the cattle with me around, I get tired of them and tell them to shut up. So if I'm around, and the dogs are around, the cows are much more likely to move closer to me -- even before I yell at the dogs. Further, I would argue some cows even have relatively fine motor skills.
You're not wrong about the motor skills, went down the yards this morning and one of the cows was sitting down knitting.

I disagree. You can train cows, dogs, and people the same way. Not that much difference in them really.
I'm talking rewards not training..you can get them too do what you want through habits .. ...I can't just go out and expect them to do something I want, without them having some previous experiance ..they'll get into your habits ..if a Bull or cow is acting a fool rewarding them for good behavior or taking the away really has no effect on them....

Latest posts