What breed would you call this cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

Massey135":1gd96m7j said:
Taurus":1gd96m7j said:
that cow remind me of someone's shorthorn herd....all fat and tiny udders.

A lot of clubby bred cows of all breeds are this way - its a product of selecting for 'stoutness' and muscle.

All mine are considerably above average milkers. Just the way I like it. A cow with the ability to calve as a bcs 6 - wean at a 4 and have the fertility to breed back during that time is this ticket. A fat cow is keeping too much for herself.
you dont think some of it comes from pumping feed to developing heifers?

Sure, some of it. But mainly from selecting coarse made bull headed females in hopes of raising show steers. You give up milk and fertility with those types.

Massey135":2yrwzp84 said:
Sure, some of it. But mainly from selecting coarse made bull headed females in hopes of raising show steers. You give up milk and fertility with those types.
Which that is why you don't see any ranchers that has a herd of blue roan cows on their commerical operations.

You're such an idiot. And not in a slanderous way. shorthorns increase both the milk and fertility of almost any cross. There's clubby bred individuals in every breed.

And over conditioned heifers produce less milk as cows. That is a fact proven in both the dairy industry and by university studies. Go watch a big bunch of dairy heifers sell. Those heifers packing a few too many pounds get sold by the pound because the dairymen know they wont produce milk.

Massey135":20oi48k8 said:
You're such an idiot. And not in a slanderous way. shorthorns increase both the milk and fertility of almost any cross. There's clubby bred individuals in every breed.
I'm so stupid that I forget how to use my own eyes to see a herd of blue roan cows on commerical ranch! ;-)

What does what you've personally seen have to do with anything? Few people can afford what the blue roan cows bring to just use as commercial cows.

Massey135":5ofssahz said:
What does what you've personally seen have to do with anything? Few people can afford what the blue roan cows bring to just use as commercial cows.
The problem is that there are lots of commerical ranches in Minnesota (my father/grandfather are truckers, hauling cattle to salebarns) and I do not see any beef shorthorns or blue roan cows in their customers' operations.

How would you identify the cross? This blue roan cow is out of either a roan or white bull. If she were sired by a red shorthorn bull, she'd be solid black.

Truth is that here, that blue cow would be worth more to kill than as a commercial cow. So if she went to town here it would be a one way trip.

Dave":13uyil6e said:
Truth is that here, that blue cow would be worth more to kill than as a commercial cow. So if she went to town here it would be a one way trip.
Only if they were bringing $1.50/lb

Massey135":3subryt2 said:
Dave":3subryt2 said:
Only if they were bringing $1.50/lb

Not here. If she were bred anything less than 8 months she would sell for more to kill than to go back to the country. Not saying that to put down the cow or your theory. It is just a fact about the market here. Just guessing from teh picture she weighs 1400. At a $1.50 that would be $2,100. She wouldn't bring half that here as a bred cow.

And that roan steer would sell by himself for significantly less than the black steer even thought the genetics are the same.

Why you would sell that calibre of cattle through literally the lowest fascilitator is beyond me.

Cattle of this quality should sell on the grid for a substantial premium.

Massey135":1jnz33mx said:
Why you would sell that calibre of cattle through literally the lowest fascilitator is beyond me.

Cattle of this quality should sell on the grid for a substantial premium.
Because noone wants them. At least at an auction barn every cow sells even if the barn has to buy them at a discounted price. Most of those cows must stay hidden as you never see them in pastures.

Hi I just seen the video and your post.
I think they the other people here could be right.
Here in Ireland we have a breeding group called 'icbf'.
They tell us all about our cows and their breeding.
They can go back generations and can tell you the percentage of the breed that they are!Its brilliant!
Here in Ireland we have a breed called 'Irish Moiled'. Your cows looks alot like our country's Irish Moiled Cattle.
-Catherina-

Latest posts