What breed would you call this cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

If she were to show up at my place she'd be a Next Trip to Towner no reason to propagate that line.

Yep that is what we have been calling her a skunk. I think I will stick with predominately Longhorn X Angus. Was just curious what others thought, and could not think of Pinzgauer, but on second thought probably not. Probably just gets the "skunk" look from Longhorn, would not doubt a bit of Holstein either mainly from her head and height. Thanks again!!
And as far as ALACOWMAN's comment did your mother not teach you if you did not have anything nice to say say nothing at all?? I think the comment about her and the bull was totally uncalled for and rude. Have no idea why when someone just asks a question you feel an insult is called for??

I'm sure Alacowman don't mean to insult you, he's just questioning on the bull's genetics that doesn't do a good job to cover your cow whole black. But then again its hard to knock white off on longhorns and holsteins.

ALACOWMAN":1mhxq6k1 said:
well what ever's in there, that bull aint gonna help her get rid of it
And that's when the fight started! Haha some folks
Are awfull touchy bout their animals...maybe
They know where the bull came from...

No harm done, but none the less I do know something about the bull she is bred too. He is a young bull that was not pushed by any means, actually left to run on a poor pasture. He is a Reg. Angus sired by Bon View New Design 878 out of a cow with a high CED and low BW, with great milk. His first calf just hit the ground and it was out of a Brangus X White face (with lots of white). The calf was a 53# bull with not a drop of white, and is as healthy as a horse. As my vet told me when we were searching for a new breed of cattle, (after failing miserably with Belgian Blues, you can not get a 3/4 or above calf out without a pull or C-Section), my vet said I do not care what breed you get as long as the calf is small and alive!! We knew it was time to quit BBs when we started getting the overflows from vets saying call them they are the best calf pullers in the county, (not a good reputation LOL). By the way we had a great market for our BB's .10 over premium with min of 50% blood, but not worth the headache.

We now only have Reg Angus, but the "skunk" cow came with a small group from a dear man that was better suited to raising chickens. We are not planning on keeping her as a foundation, nor are we planning on showing her :D, just want to find her a good home as she is a big pet and would make a good safe cow around a family farm, but was just not sure what to call her. Do not want to take that gentle of a cow to a barn as she surely would end up hamburger. I love good type, small calves, but have NO room for angry cows. We took a gorgeous Reg Angus cow to the barns as she would hunt you down if you looked at any calf in the field. She was a embryo baby out of Midland and a $101,000 Sitz heifer, but that was where she needed to be (she was high selling cow of the day even chasing the boys around the ring). Our cows are gentle or they are gone PERIOD, by the way we have not pulled a calf since going exclusively Angus in 2007.

Sometimes it's chasing th guys around the ring that raises the price. It's surprising what some folks will pay to buy a cow like that and make a gift of it to the ringman.

IMGP5082.JPG

This is the cow we sent to market, not a great picture of her, but she was a good looking girl. She also was a horrible milker, second calf had to be pulled as she only gained 8#s in 30 days.
IMGP5089.JPG

not my kind of cow, and some of the best bloodlines in Angus to be had, mean as dirt to boot! Look back a page at what we keep, that is a 9 ear old cow, and you can take her anywhere with a bucket.

Taurus":3ncpm8y2 said:
that cow remind me of someone's shorthorn herd....all fat and tiny udders.

A lot of clubby bred cows of all breeds are this way - its a product of selecting for 'stoutness' and muscle.

All mine are considerably above average milkers. Just the way I like it. A cow with the ability to calve as a bcs 6 - wean at a 4 and have the fertility to breed back during that time is this ticket. A fat cow is keeping too much for herself.

Taurus":1fdx5gbw said:
Yup they makes a great cull cow at salebarn...which my shorthorn will take a trip to there this fall.
Do you really expect to be taken seriously when you convey your thoughts in this manner?

TexasBred":334mm6nj said:
Taurus":334mm6nj said:
Yup they makes a great cull cow at salebarn...which my shorthorn will take a trip to there this fall.
We all have to cull the ones that don't work.
Oh well at last I give it a try...its just don't work out on my operation.

Latest posts