What breed should I use?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":18sixoh5 said:
No thoughts. I don't have any direct experience or knowledge of how they do in different environments. I know there is a woman in Alaska that was milking them in a dairy. My reasons for the recommendation may be a bit different then others. The angus is for size, maternal, fertility, carcass and milk. The Hereford is for (my word) "rustleability", size, fertility, maternal, carcass and disposition. The two give you heterosis.
If it was a drylot environement some continental couldn't hurt. Gebvieh or Simmenthal, I still don't know enough about Tarantaise.
dun
MR3":18sixoh5 said:
What do you guys think about adding some Tarentaise blood to the Angus x Hereford for that high desert scenario Guardian described?
dun":18sixoh5 said:
I agree with the last option. Particualrly Red Angus X Polled Hereford. But that's because I happen to like that combination and it works so well for us.
dun
Beefy":18sixoh5 said:
angus (black or red) or hereford or herefordXangus.

maybe a Red Angus X Tarentaise will be better

Alot of good advise given. The one thing I would do is go to the sale barn and look at the animals being sold. Might even ask some of the people at the barn what they think.

You get alot of people saying different things. I say it's worth your while to breed Hereford or something with Hereford. They are very hardy, good beef, very, very genlte, & of course very purty.
Ellie May

Jake":3heeqwu3 said:
The only real down side with pinz cattle are the stripes they'll get docked at sale time because they look like longhorn coloration. Not that they are but if you can get by paying less why not.

Minor point...lol: We haven't seen any Longhorns with stripes :)

On the flip side... We are breeding solid black and solid red longhorns as well as the spotted and other patterned colors. Since we don't sell at sale barns (only via Private Treaty), haven't had to worry about getting docked. We also have one mostly white Longhorn bull that (so far) 75% of his calves have been solid red or solid brown (with just few white specks occasionally on rump). A solid black longhorn bull we are getting in June has sired mostly black calves on a Charlolais herd. Colors are unpredictable with Longhorns for sure; however, by selecting your genetics you stand much better chance of getting the solid colors(or other patterns). Different Longhorns have different markets...that's a given.

Ellie May":326tuvdk said:
Sorry it's just the way I talk. I type the way I normally talk. But if you really want me use proper ENGLISH. Then I will.
Ellie May
Keep spelling the way you talk. It fits you. Don't change.

WIN BUSH WIN

I haven't heard anyone mention anything about Limousin cattle in the mix. What is everyone impression on them?

Lean muscle and nuts

dun

Anonymous":6h5ao5us said:
I haven't heard anyone mention anything about Limousin cattle in the mix. What is everyone impression on them?

I meant Brangus /Herford cross. It's perfect What do ya'll think. What do you ca'll this breed Brabaldie's.lol :lol:

Latest posts