What breed if starting over????

Help Support CattleToday:

BC":nxavujhi said:
alacattleman":nxavujhi said:
bishopcattleco":nxavujhi said:
I really like to see people trying other breeds of cattle instead of just going black angus.Alot of people get into the cattle buissiness and think solid black cattle are the only way to go .But they have no idea why they chose angus.I feel the best cattle produced are crossbred cattle.And think that is a fact.My hat goes off to you people who are trying other breeds that dont include angus.
tell you what, you cut me a check for the difference i lose when i market my calf crop ...and ill raise something else

If you are talking about price per pound on Angus calves maybe. If you are talking total dollars because the calves weigh more, then there are other breed combinations. A good friend who has a really good set of commercial cows told me he has lost about 50 lbs of weaning weight when he went the black route. The nickle a lb "premium" doesn't make up the dollars that left on the table by a yellow or rwf calf that weighs 50 lbs more. Alabama markets maybe different from those here in East Texas.
they are in north ala... but Texas seems to be a seperate entity from the rest of the US... like ive said before any one that can stiff arm the market in my area to something different

BC":1ctu2mkk said:
I don't see how it wouldn't make up
because if he is selling a 600lb black calve at $1.25 with the premium then he is getting $750
if he is selling a 650lb calf minus the premium and minus the normal weight slide his other calves should be in the $1.12 to $1.15 range so a 650lb calf at the top end is bring $1.15 and that eguals $747.50 at the bottom end it eguals $728 so what don't equal out

alacattleman":34xkvtwm said:
not bragging but i have no trouble getting my calves in the 7 wt. with these brangus and brahman cross moma cows
Neother do I and that's with toxic fescue and mostly straightbred Red Angus.

vclavin":18vwtdjb said:
alacattleman":18vwtdjb said:
around 7 month
Awesome! Thankyou. Pretty large framed animals too I'll bet.
Valerie
last angus bull was a 7 frame... this sitz alliance bull is around a six... gonna try to retain all the heifers that are acceptable from him they are thick well made calve

alacattleman":1vpmhgsm said:
not bragging but i have no trouble getting my calves in the 7 wt. with these brangus and brahman cross moma cows

How much do your cows weigh that produce that 7 wt calf?

alacattleman":sh2knxwt said:
the adult momas are in the 13 to 14 hundred pound range ....

That's a good calf coming from those size cows. I was hoping you weren't going to say 15 to 16 hundred.

i had a few black simbrahs that would but the last one i sold of those weighed nearly 18 hundred, funny thing i would have been proud of the 15 20 years ago

Angus Cowman":3b5okuu1 said:
BC":3b5okuu1 said:
because if he is selling a 600lb black calve at $1.25 with the premium then he is getting $750
if he is selling a 650lb calf minus the premium and minus the normal weight slide his other calves should be in the $1.12 to $1.15 range so a 650lb calf at the top end is bring $1.15 and that eguals $747.50 at the bottom end it eguals $728 so what don't equal out

Here is what I see. The best 600 lb steers at our sale barns are worth about $115 to $116 per cwt. That is $690 to $696. A 650 lb steer at $110 (a nickle back) is $715. That is $19 to $25 per head more.

alacattleman":3hhtgirx said:
but Texas seems to be a seperate entity from the rest of the US...

Now if we could only get everyone to believe this...

BC":2mhx0qoj said:
Angus Cowman":2mhx0qoj said:
BC":2mhx0qoj said:

Here is what I see. The best 600 lb steers at our sale barns are worth about $115 to $116 per cwt. That is $690 to $696. A 650 lb steer at $110 (a nickle back) is $715. That is $19 to $25 per head more.
you aren't figuring in the weight slide for the extra 50 lbs either
I have NEVER seen or sold a 650 wt for the same $$ as a 600 wt if the quality is the same
easy to say that a 6wt brought a 1.15 and my 650wt will bring more if you don't figure the slide you are comparing apples to oranges
take a 6wt black and a 6 wt other breed and see how they compare you have to compare like weighted sets not 2 different weight classes to figure the $$$ per hd a 600lb calf should always bring more $$$ pr lb than a 650wt calt calf

I see your point, but when we are buying a set of 600 lb calves out of the sale barns, they will come in weighing 560 to 650 lbs (hopefully a littkle closer). There is no slide applied to them. If you get too many heavy cattle, you just have to try to buy some on the lighter side to make the weight work.

SEKDUTTON":3l0r499j said:
I know this will probaly get some peoples blood flowing and im not trying too just still trying to search for the best breed out there for me. i was looking at getting hereford and breeding a angus bull to them but not am thinkin maybe a gelbveih or balncer breed. just wondering what you guys would get if starting over? maybe a 3 way cross or stick with what ya have. and this post is not so everyone can dog on everyone elses breed just kinda wondering what yall would do.

If its not blazing hot where you live, do the black baldies.
They perform better. Better weights + the better selling black = profit!

Personally, I'd have a bunch of SimmentalXShorthorn cows and breed 'em to an Angus bull.

Would like to have some Pinzgauer in the mix, too, but with that white tail, too many buyers would capitalize on the opportunity to dock the hell out of 'em as 'Longhorn crosses'.

I would have Pinzgauer's. They are very docile, easy to work with. And they have very lean meat that is well marbled.

Don't see how you can beat (considering everything) black cows with a hereford bull.

Latest posts