What breed if starting over????

Help Support CattleToday:

SEKDUTTON

Reaction score
I know this will probaly get some peoples blood flowing and im not trying too just still trying to search for the best breed out there for me. i was looking at getting hereford and breeding a angus bull to them but not am thinkin maybe a gelbveih or balncer breed. just wondering what you guys would get if starting over? maybe a 3 way cross or stick with what ya have. and this post is not so everyone can dog on everyone elses breed just kinda wondering what yall would do.

SEKDUTTON":1hz0qono said:
I know this will probaly get some peoples blood flowing and im not trying too just still trying to search for the best breed out there for me. i was looking at getting hereford and breeding a angus bull to them but not am thinkin maybe a gelbveih or balncer breed. just wondering what you guys would get if starting over? maybe a 3 way cross or stick with what ya have. and this post is not so everyone can dog on everyone elses breed just kinda wondering what yall would do.
just to give you a heads up, their legal documented name is black baldies
:cowboy: hard too beat

alacattleman":19te2y1b said:
SEKDUTTON":19te2y1b said:
just to give you a heads up, their legal documented name is black baldies
:cowboy: hard too beat
Absolutely...and don't be fooled by "fakes". ;-)

It depends on your location, but I really like the idea of Hereford/Angus cross and then running a GV bull on them for terminals .
Neighbors have a few Maine Anjou/Angus cattle and then ran Charolais bulls on them, the calves are amazing and when they showed some steers a few months ago they took 1,2 & 3 also took the top money per pound when auctioned off.

I'd use Simmental. They are the second most poplular breed worldwide behind the Brahma and cross well with pretty much anything. You can get Blacks, Reds, Fleckvieh and even a Dairy Strain if you want. They are about as diverse as you can get and excel in pretty much any climate. They also provide better milk production to make black baldies than the other option will. More milk means more weight in the fall. Fleckvieh are my personal choice but any would work. Personally I think a Hereford/Fleckvieh cross is hard to beat.

cattleman99":2ngagy7y said:
I'd use Simmental. They are the second most poplular breed worldwide behind the Brahma and cross well with pretty much anything. You can get Blacks, Reds, Fleckvieh and even a Dairy Strain if you want. They are about as diverse as you can get and excel in pretty much any climate. They also provide better milk production to make black baldies than the other option will. More milk means more weight in the fall. Fleckvieh are my personal choice but any would work. Personally I think a Hereford/Fleckvieh cross is hard to beat.
id like to try a fleckvieh red angus cross ..may be back too hereford,,, if the market wasnt so dam fickle those would worlk about anywhere

alacattleman":3o2mta8s said:
cattleman99":3o2mta8s said:
id like to try a fleckvieh red angus cross ..may be back too hereford,,, if the market wasnt so dam fickle those would worlk about anywhere

The fleck/angus cross works well. We've had our best luck with either that, or simm/shorthorn and cross 'em all charolais for a terminal sire. It would depend on your climate, if your down south you might want something with some bos indicus in it.

fargus":ae4v4x33 said:
alacattleman":ae4v4x33 said:
cattleman99":ae4v4x33 said:

The fleck/angus cross works well. We've had our best luck with either that, or simm/shorthorn and cross 'em all charolais for a terminal sire. It would depend on your climate, if your down south you might want something with some bos indicus in it.
i want the brahman influence in the moma cows.. charolais on brangus cows make a heck of a calf

I had a cow family (Fleckvieh) with a lot of white. I was getting killed at the auction yard because of colour but the cow family was just too good to get rid of. For whatever reason the old girl that started that family has had 7 heifers and only one bull calf over the years so I continue to breed her Fleckvieh and don't worry about the colour. I then have been breeding her calves to a variety of Red Angus bulls from Select Sires. I haven't had any calving issues, fertility issues and the calves have all been good with the exception of off of one bull I tried. Luckily I only try 5 straws to start on any new bul so the remaining 3 off of that particular bull will sell with the tank when I retire someday. This has eliminated the colour issues and the calves sell well. i would have liked to have gone Hereford on them but locally the Red Angus sells much better.

When I'm down south I'm surprised how few Brahman cross cattle I see, and how many that are still heavily longhorn bred. (I spend most of my time in MS when I'm down there.) From all I can tell the Bos indicus breed influence smokes the longhorns down there, so why are they still so common?

fargus":2arxuqkv said:
When I'm down south I'm surprised how few Brahman cross cattle I see, and how many that are still heavily longhorn bred. (I spend most of my time in MS when I'm down there.) From all I can tell the Bos indicus breed influence smokes the longhorns down there, so why are they still so common?
alot of em are ex roping stock are producing roping stock... but some are bought cheap low maintenace and are bred to beef bulls....

alacattleman":mps9bw35 said:
fargus":mps9bw35 said:
alot of em are ex roping stock are producing roping stock... but some are bought cheap low maintenace and are bred to beef bulls....

Gotcha. Fun cattle to run a cow-dog trial with. Especially when they ain't longhorns but wild little crossed up mexican cattle. No fence in the world is good enough to hold them in. :cboy:

alacattleman":24d9vll6 said:
fargus":24d9vll6 said:

Same here....junk....real cattle folks own a lot of brahman influence cattle. Sometimes you just gotta get a little closer to see it whereas those little longhorns and corrientes show up like a fly in the buttermilk.

fargus":jzcrelp0 said:
alacattleman":jzcrelp0 said:
fargus":jzcrelp0 said:

Gotcha. Fun cattle to run a cow-dog trial with. Especially when they ain't longhorns but wild little crossed up mexican cattle. No fence in the world is good enough to hold them in. :cboy:
corriente have become more popular as roping and dogging stock,,, ive seen longhorn females go for 75 to 100 dollars a head through the sale,,, the fastest calves ive ever chased on a rope horse were longhorns they fire out of the chute like a rocket and dont let up and brahman calve will kill you their like a bouncing ball on the end of a rope

[/quote] i want the brahman influence in the moma cows.. charolais on brangus cows make a heck of a calf[/
Did you ever get any of them grey rat tails with that cross.If you didnt you were lucky.In my mind that is the worst calf in the world.I have had a few over the years.

Wouldn't you want to know where he lives and how he plans on selling his calves before you recommend a breed?

i want the brahman influence in the moma cows.. charolais on brangus cows make a heck of a calf[/
Did you ever get any of them grey rat tails with that cross.If you didnt you were lucky.In my mind that is the worst calf in the world.I have had a few over the years.
nope,,, but i did with angus over simbrah...

Jovid":ncq6u9s6 said:
Wouldn't you want to know where he lives and how he plans on selling his calves before you recommend a breed?
he stated what breed he was considering,, baldies sell good anywhere even with a little ear

SEKDUTTON":2jxvnnzb said:

alacattleman":2jxvnnzb said:
Jovid":2jxvnnzb said:
he stated what breed he was considering,, baldies sell good anywhere even with a little ear

Actually Jovid, he did ask what we would get if starting over. Didn't ask what we would recommend outright.

I think at this point I would opt for another piggy bank for my money.... :nod:

Latest posts