What are you willing to PAY ??

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2acef43s said:
Good deal and I'm glad to see your making progress. Hopefully you'll get the deal finished quickly. I might need to rent the barn and RV hookup.
Rent? He's going to make you barter for fence work! :)

Kingfisher":p2klyusm said:
True Grit Farms":p2klyusm said:
Good deal and I'm glad to see your making progress. Hopefully you'll get the deal finished quickly. I might need to rent the barn and RV hookup.
Rent? He's going to make you barter for fence work! :)

If I can be the chief I might consider it. Otherwise he works to much and way to hard for me. I'm good at wasting time and $money and eating.

MikeBo":pltkahmp said:
J&D Cattle":pltkahmp said:
My house sits on 40 acres and is right against town. I gave $2,000/acre 5 years ago and thought it was a bargain. I'd gladly give the neighbor who has 37 acres behind me $3,000. His piece also borders town although it a different road. In comparison I'm trying to get closed on a 120 farm approx 12 miles from town that is half pasture and half timber and will probably end up giving $1375/acre for it.

My farm is in southern Missouri as well as my families, wooded ground is around 800-1,000 and pasture ground is in the 1,300-1,500 range.

Dam that's cheap. Fully cleared pasture? And y'all probably have a much better stocking rate than 7 acres per au and about 1700 per acre for pasture here without rotational grazing. Very few trees here though except the red cedars that are bane of my existence.

Farm credit is 0 to 20 years, 30 to 40 percent down based on your credit. Between about 3 and 5 percent depending on length of time. Ours gives a cash dividend worth about .75 percent each year at year end so gotta factor that in. And where we plan on building a house on our property farm credit is the most flexible and best able to use our land equity as collateral as opposed to a traditional bank!

My familys property that we own part of and I am trying to buy a part of the rest of the eststate is going for hopefully about $5000 an acre. And thats the part that is all ravines and is going to take a lot of work to make functional. The part I have already refenced and run cattle on will probably go for 6,000. Welcome to Texas. Its family land so luckily my Dad already owns 33%. My other 2 uncles want the cash.

NECowboy":eevlpe90 said:
callmefence":eevlpe90 said:
I would jump all over it for 4,000

Ouch land price is high in texas. How about stocking rate?

I've got one neighbor that's got 27 acres joining me . asking 5000.
I've offered 3000. We get along real good and I think we will eventually meet in the middle.
Off my se corner there is a 45 acre tract I was just contacted about. I was contacted by a rather uninformed lady from the company that had obtained it through foreclosure. She referred to a block nearby that had sold for 6000.
The 45 is long and narrow with probably 15 acres of it being rocky hilltop.
The rest is tillable. I'm not paying 6000. But if I can't get them to 4000 I'll buy both. I'll sell my cows if need be.

On tillable land stocking rate is what you make it. I have some unworkable land that will carry about 1 to 30 acres. Probably the most valuable land I have dollar wise. Everyone wants a piece of the hill country

callmefence":12m11rkt said:
NECowboy":12m11rkt said:
callmefence":12m11rkt said:
I would jump all over it for 4,000

Ouch land price is high in texas. How about stocking rate?

I've got one neighbor that's got 27 acres joining me . asking 5000.
I've offered 3000. We get along real good and I think we will eventually meet in the middle.
Off my se corner there is a 45 acre tract I was just contacted about. I was contacted by a rather uninformed lady from the company that had obtained it through foreclosure. She referred to a block nearby that had sold for 6000.
The 45 is long and narrow with probably 15 acres of it being rocky hilltop.
The rest is tillable. I'm not paying 6000. But if I can't get them to 4000 I'll buy both. I'll sell my cows if need be.

On tillable land stocking rate is what you make it. I have some unworkable land that will carry about 1 to 30 acres. Probably the most valuable land I have dollar wise. Everyone wants a piece of the hill country
My parents live in the hill country by Liberty Hill, Uncle by Marble Falls, the prices out there are too high. Seems like everyone from Austin wants a view. Austin has priced themselves so high its like living in California and just as liberal. My Father drives and hour and a half to work just to not live there.

I don't know how y'all can afford to pay that much for farm land and still be sane. Land is a great investment sometimes, but taxes and up keep will eat your lunch. The taxable value, and the raising of Mill rates would scare me.

M-5":8rpo8v7s said:
I got some of wife's family in town this week from Austin. They are coming to our place to see some cows. Lol
I only go to Austin when absolutely necessary. Being 30 minutes from Austin and 1 hour from San Antonio believe it or not my preference is San Antonio. I dont mind an extra 3o minutes. Glad the built the toll road so I can avoid Austin almost all together going to the hill country from my neck of the woods.

The Texas Hill Country looks beautiful but doesn't look like the Sierra Nevada or anything (no offense). Few places do. I think it's because it's close to big population centers and has been over-publicized that y'all are getting an infestation of Californians with lots of cash and subdivisions galore. You have your legislators and economic development/tourism people to blame for that. Another thread on here was complaining about the rapid rapid growth around Austin and how that's not all it's cracked up to be. Looks like plenty other beautiful areas of Texas or beautiful areas in this country that are not getting as overdeveloped and crowded with cheaper land prices. Sorry you existing ranchers in that area are getting hit with the urban/suburban expansion.

BK9954":r7xl9bj7 said:
callmefence":r7xl9bj7 said:
NECowboy":r7xl9bj7 said:
Ouch land price is high in Texas.
Seems like everyone from Austin wants a view. Austin has priced themselves so high its like living in California and just as liberal.

I offered $1642/acre for mostly cleared pasture. That is a high price but it adjoined me.

I like Texas but not the prices. I assumed oil money drove up land prices way. Sounds like high tech $$$ are a bigger factor?

NECowboy":2vxm9dpe said:
The Texas Hill Country looks beautiful but doesn't look like the Sierra Nevada or anything (no offense). Few places do. I think it's because it's close to big population centers and has been over-publicized that y'all are getting an infestation of Californians with lots of cash and subdivisions galore. You have your legislators and economic development/tourism people to blame for that. Another thread on here was complaining about the rapid rapid growth around Austin and how that's not all it's cracked up to be. Looks like plenty other beautiful areas of Texas or beautiful areas in this country that are not getting as overdeveloped and crowded with cheaper land prices. Sorry you existing ranchers in that area are getting hit with the urban/suburban expansion.

You can go east of 35 into the blackland. Good fertile flat prairie and buy land under 3000. Go 30 miles west into rocks prickly pear,cedar and hills. 5000 +.
Go a few hours sw to the Chihuahua you can buy land for 250.00 per acre

callmefence":cnbsmmyl said:
NECowboy":cnbsmmyl said:

You can go east of 35 into the blackland. Good fertile flat prairie and buy land under 3000. Go 30 miles west into rocks prickly pear,cedar and hills. 5000 +.
Go a few hours sw to the Chihuahua you can buy land for 250.00 per acre

Haha so ironic. What is west of Fort Worth like Weatherford and west? It looks hilly but probably not $$ like the Hill Country.

Looked on Landwatch in Ranger, Stephens County, TX (171 acres cross-fenced for almost $2850/acre). Palo Pinto County to West of Weatherford still looks mighty expensive. Competing with hunters and second homeowners looking for a close escape from the Metroplex.

What are y'alls stocking rates like? Do you graze year-round or just seasonal May 1 - November 1st (we generally just do May 1 - Nov 1 up here and feed lot em in the winter).

This forum might as well be called CattleTexas.com there's so many of ya!

Stocker Steve":33ipn2wa said:
BK9954":33ipn2wa said:
callmefence":33ipn2wa said:
Seems like everyone from Austin wants a view. Austin has priced themselves so high its like living in California and just as liberal.

I offered $1642/acre for mostly cleared pasture. That is a high price but it adjoined me.

I like Texas but not the prices. I assumed oil money drove up land prices way. Sounds like high tech $$$ are a bigger factor?
Its the economy is still booming here. Unemployment in Austin is a 2.6% I work 30 minutes south, I am an employer and cant find help. So many people moving here from out of state for work, no state income tax, lower corporate taxes so companies thrive. Its the conservative game plan working. The only problem is its bringing a lot of NON Texan liberals( no offense to you non Texans) who will wind up voting OUT the conservative principles that led to the prosperity. Property is high because people are moving here and buying and building. The oil money goes up and down, there is no oil money but in my area you cant tell. Houston is still exploding. We still run a lot of refineries for the gas and Texas is well diversified. My family goes back here pre civilwar and I love my Texas if you cant tell. Lived in Georgia and California for a while but that just let me know where I beonged. Let me get off my soap box. I have a heifer having a baby.

M-5":1dhnzclo said:
It's official , I own this little piece of land now. I still can not believe it did not get out in the community that I was buying it.

Haha totally that way in my area too. Congratulations enjoy it, gotta love ur own ground and the possibilities with cattle it opens up for ya! Also how awesome is that that you got to buy the tractor too. :D

Latest posts