What are these sores?

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthefunnyfarm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new been working with cattle for only 3 years & have 4 pet steers. One has these terrible sores, their large raised oval shaped & on day 3 became crusty. Only on his neck.. Had the vet come out & no help. Does anyone have any idea at to what these sores are?

Look like fly bites to me. If the hair pulls out easily maybe rain scald.

Thanks dun. I couldn't find much on cattle, but did on horses & this looks like hives. Hives more than likely caused by fly bites. I'm amazed two vets that specialize in cattle were both clueless as to what they are.

that's like ringworm but I forget what its called....I treated mine with a 25% bleach and it was gone in a week..then retreat a week later...they lose their hair and look awful but get it before the skin falls off is a lot better...they will lose skin on their legs once it gets going too..they look awful. I just went thru that in a seriously wet spell here too

that's like ringworm some kind of fungus but I forget what its called....I treated mine with a 25% bleach and it was gone in a week..then retreat a week later...ya gotta soak em pretty good. ..capcan..I think..some kinda copper plant spray works too but is expensive ..they lose their hair and look awful but get it before the skin falls off is a lot better...they will lose skin on their legs once it gets going too..they look awful. I just went thru that in a seriously wet spell here too

dieselbeef":3qznzkci said:
that's like ringworm some kind of fungus but I forget what its called....I treated mine with a 25% bleach and it was gone in a week..then retreat a week later...ya gotta soak em pretty good. ..capcan..I think..some kinda copper plant spray works too but is expensive ..they lose their hair and look awful but get it before the skin falls off is a lot better...they will lose skin on their legs once it gets going too..they look awful. I just went thru that in a seriously wet spell here too
Sounds to me like you had what we've always called rain scald. Don;t know what it really is, that's just what we called it becuase of the wet weather that preceded it.

Dam, rain scald is simpler and I can remember that. Still looks like fly bites to me though.

they did to me too til they started to peel that's why it took me til they looked real bad to get after it...soon as those bumps come they need the bleach

Well these hives are contagious too, my other guy Buster has a few on his neck today. Bust out the bleach & non steroid antinflamtory shot should help too.

Onthefunnyfarm":2ahi1z60 said:
Well these hives are contagious too, my other guy Buster has a few on his neck today. Bust out the bleach & non steroid antinflamtory shot should help too.
I seriously doubt if they are getting them from one another

Onthefunnyfarm":170mi0y0 said:
your worrying much..but I'm betting the vet loves you..can't get the older hands to even call one for a down cow,,and your getting them out over fly bites...

I took some cows w/their calves to a breeder and they were left in muddy conditions for a couple of weeks. All had these type of sore on them when I picked them up. Brought them home and I believe our Aussie vet (wbvs58) diagnosed them correctly from pics. He recommended two rounds of LA 200 which cleared them up pretty quick.

Ringworm also starts as a raised area. Soon the hair falls off & it's crusty white. Scrape all the white crusty off with a curry comb (usually bleeds a little) then put bleech on it. It works to kill the fungus, then put grease or Vaseline on it. Or, if it it ringworm - just ignore. It will run it's course.

That looks like classic ringworm. Ringworm is a fungus highly contagious but it will run its course without treatment. I have heard it called rain rot as well. In our part of the country we get it this time of year when it has been really wet.

Ringworm (barn itch, dermatophytosis) is the most common skin infection of cattle and is caused by a spore forming fungus called Trichophyton. Spores can remain viable for months in the soil or bedding and for years on objects such as halters, grooming equipment, working facilities, and barn surfaces. Cows become infected by simple contact with dormant spores from objects or other infected cattle. Upon germination the fungus invades hair shafts and superficial layers of skin. Body fluid exudes from the damaged skin and mixes with dead tissue to produce the classic tan or gray elevated crusty scab. These lesions are generally circular or oval in shape but they may coalesce to produce large irregular patches. Ringworm is usually found on the head, neck and trunk of calves, particularly around the eyes, ears, and muzzle. Unthrifty animals and those with compromised immune systems tend to be much more severely effected than healthy calves. Winter housing, confinement, and crowding are more conductive to an outbreak than summer pasture. This is a self limiting disease in that animals develop immunity to the fungus and the infection usually resolves in 2 – 6 months without treatment. It is uncommon to see ringworm in adult cattle, especially if they were infected as calves, but sporadic cases do occur

gizmom

I think what you have is a Dermatophylus skin infection, biting insects will spread it hence those isolated lesions. If you google it photos will show mostly extreme infections but if you look through them and especially around the edges where you see more isolated lesions they will look more like yours. From my memory it is like a cross between a fungus and a bacteria and so will sometimes get a response to antibiotics especially for any secondary infection.

http://www.msdvetmanual.com/integumenta ... tophilosis

What Gizmon said is correct as well and it could even be trychophyton. It is all much of a muchness and unless the cow is a bit compromised it is all usually self limiting. Treating like Jeanne suggests will work on isolated lesions.

Ken

Latest posts