What are these on my calf's nose?

Help Support CattleToday:

all4ahorse

Reaction score
I posted this question within another topic (1st time calf-cow with small udder) but it's getting rather buried so am beginning a new topic. I noticed these little growth-like things on this 3 week old calf, this past weekend. Anything I should be concerned with?? Have not seen them on my other calves before. Anything I can be putting on them or just let them be?

daisynose9-16-08.jpg

Thank you,
Connie

I doubt its warts, I have never seen warts on a three week old calf. Looks like the after effect of sunburn. It looks the calf suffered from photosensitivity as you can see in the area where the hair meets the muzzle.

At this stage it is already healing, watch for flies laying their eggs in the healing wounds, otherwise I'd leave them alone to heal on their own.

Edited to add this from the Merck Vetirinary Manual:

In cattle, warts commonly are found on the head, neck, and shoulders, and occasionally on the back and abdomen. The extent and duration of the lesions depend on the type of virus, area affected, and degree of susceptibility. Warts appear ~2 mo after exposure and may last ≥1 yr.

If I understand it correctly warts has a two month incubation period so its not possible for a 3 week old calf to have warts. Considering the immunity gained from colostrum I doubt calves will easily get affected within the first two months of their lives.

Latest posts