What a mess

Help Support CattleToday:

A razor sharp knife is important, and not many people keep a good edge on their knife these days. A swipe across the bale with shaving sharp knife pull the net of in one piece. Roll it in a ball and it goes to the burn barrel....... I'm thinking brute might be using a hatchet.... LoL
You mean the 'melting' barrel don't ya?
Net on the bales I get don't burn worth a crap... just melts down into a big wad of plastic in the bottom.

If bale net is causing you enough problems to bring it to a forum you may more problems than bale netting..............................
It's been a long running joke one here. Every now and then some one posts how much they love it. Then some one posts how much they hate it. It's just what we do to balance the universe... like the replacement heifer deal. We all have our roles to play.

The funniest was who ever posted that "ain't nobody got time for that" meme with the net wrap.🤣 Good times...

Net wrap will never be on my place again. Here it's not as simple as just unwrapping. It comes off with 2" of hay froze to it and it looks like a buffalo robe. That's the stuff that didn't freeze to the ground or to bale that was put too close beside it.
It takes 35 seconds to put sisal twine on from the comfort of a climate controlled cab. I'd sooner take the time then than at 40 below while the cows are staring at me.
A few years ago we had freezing rain and then a cold spell. I cussed the frozen net wrap every time I fed. Ended up using a brush axe to cut the wrap.

You should see when I go out to our hunting leases and all the guys ask me to sharpen their knives. I tell them.. I'll show you for free or do it for you if you hand over your man card. They are use those belt dea and then wonder why it doesnt stay sharp.

My dad use to be really good at sharpening knives... even big knives with thick blades for skinning or sticking. He would have them shaving hair no problem. He went to the razon knives now but I think his hands hurt him to sharpen them too much now. Every now and then I'll grab a few and go to sharpening on them for him. I'll hand him one and ask him... hows that... he says... better than it was. Then makes a few swipes and says... there, that's sharp. 😂 I let him have it since he taught me.
The old man used to say....if you wanna know what kinda man your dealing with check the edge on his knife.

How often do you wear a knife out Fence?

Ken
Depends..
I buy about 3 dozen case trappers every fall. The ones with the yellow derlin scales. I give away most of them as Christmas gifts to good customers and friends... been a couple of folks on ct have gotten one. Bright raven won one in a bet. The lost it when he went double or nothing Lol....I usually end up with a half dozen or so to keep for myself.
Side note... giving a good pocket knife to the kids that load out at the feed store pays back like you can't believe. Anyone new to town ask at the feed store about who to use for fencing, clearing , haying etc.....those boys remember who gave them a case knife....

The old man used to say....if you wanna know what kinda man your dealing with check the edge on his knife.

I've stopped carrying good knives after losing three or four. My cheap knives are usually in a state between dull and super dull, they don't hold an edge very well, especially with the abuse I put them through.

Net wrap will loop around the clip of your knife and slip it right out of your pants, like the world's greatest pick pocket. Lost two CRKT Squids, a CRKT M16, and a couple more cheapies from that.

I don't know about others, but Vermeer net will burn to nothing, super hot and hardly any smoke too.

It's been a long running joke one here. Every now and then some one posts how much they love it. Then some one posts how much they hate it. It's just what we do to balance the universe... like the replacement heifer deal. We all have our roles to play.

The funniest was who ever posted that "ain't nobody got time for that" meme with the net wrap.🤣 Good times...
Here we go...
Theres 6 of those in that feed sack, as well as 2 more empty feed sacks. Without the empty sacks I'm pretty sure ya could get 8 of em in there.... 👍

20210326_194917.jpg20210327_155410.jpg
Now!
Who needs several nice replacement heifers. 6 plus months. Right off mama. All natural...

Gotta get that tax thing going here.

I love net wrap. Pick up one out from under the shed and ake to the pasture, drop the bale on the ground, make one cut across it with a razor knife, put the tractor in 1st, unroll it over about 150 yards, circle back around, pull the netting out from under the first unroll, stuff it under the hand grab, head for the barn, throw it in a empty protein tub, get back in the side x side and finish my coffee. Its not difficult.

Here we go...
Theres 6 of those in that feed sack, as well as 2 more empty feed sacks. Without the empty sacks I'm pretty sure ya could get 8 of em in there.... 👍

View attachment 3382View attachment 3383
Now!
Who needs several nice replacement heifers. 6 plus months. Right off mama. All natural...

Gotta get that tax thing going here.
Thats some good looking wrap. Ours is not like that. Its really light duty. That looks like woven twine. Ours looks like a really light duty gill net.

I love net wrap. Pick up one out from under the shed and ake to the pasture, drop the bale on the ground, make one cut across it with a razor knife, put the tractor in 1st, unroll it over about 150 yards, circle back around, pull the netting out from under the first unroll, stuff it under the hand grab, head for the barn, throw it in a empty protein tub, get back in the side x side and finish my coffee. Its not difficult.
Try the carbide edged razor knife refills, they make a life good for the hay net crowd!

Not a fan of twine. Still have 18 bales left of twine and won't go back to it. Net wrap comes off in seconds - two wraps on a bale - slice, pull off, wad up, and go. Twine takes minutes to get off and everyone gets all crowded around the tractor while I'm getting it off. No advantage on my end.

Net is not bad if you have a place to put it on the tractor. These cans hold net off of four rolls. Four is a full 5 gallon bucket. Bucket gets dumped in the trash.

Attachments

• 20210327_153953.jpg
    20210327_153953.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
I have a knife with the razor blades that I use from time to time to cut stuff I dont want to mess up my knife on but it's kind of cumbersome. I can shave the peach fuzz off my face with the Eye Brand on my hip at any given time. My grandfather had some of the WWII Kabar sharpeners in the leather cases. They are pretty slick tones. Between the stone and the leather you can turn a good knife it to a razor if you know what you are doing.

If you have tractors and equipment handy where you can hold it up it's not bad but off hay wagons and stuff it's a pain. Plus, I seem to get vines and all kinds of stuff try to grow up thru it. That was the problems with the stuff in the pic. The twine doesnt get vines as bad and even if you do it slides right thru.

Plus, you have to get on and off the tractor every time to cut the net wrap while they are up. I can get 10 bales with string with a tractor, all at once, then go back and cut strings and throw rings on, all at once. None of that on and off or in and out stuff before you get the next bales.
Thanks a lot Brute. You just cost me $119 plus shipping. I don't know why I've never heard of that brand before. I'm kind of a knife nerd and like well made affordable knives.
Gary

Thanks a lot Brute. You just cost me $119 plus shipping. I don't know why I've never heard of that brand before. I'm kind of a knife nerd and like well made affordable knives.
Gary.
They sharpen up good and will last if you put a good patina on them. The bone handled lock blades are getting hard to come by.

Latest posts