What a mess

Help Support CattleToday:

We hate it too..... only use that baler for a place we do custom for another guy, and if the big baler has a broken belt or something.... It does help shed more water, but it is a PITA to clean up/get rid of and all.....

I could have wrapped all the string from 8 bales nice and neatly in my little white bucket and been on my way.
Hard to finds any string tied round bales up here. Most store outside like myself. I generally grab the cut end and wad it up, then wrap it around itself. I can usually put 6 bales or so worth in 1 feed sack..

Until u get the one that the baler didnt stop wrapping!!! Lmao! That's a mess!
šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

It's different for every one. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to twine. We have a JD 568 baler. From the time I push in the clutch, wrap, dump the bale, close the gate, and start again = 26 seconds! It takes about a min and a half with twine. The cover edge wrap holds the bales together better. We store 75% of our hay and all of our corn stalk bales out side. I carry a pocket knife that takes disposable razor blades, use them a week then replace. I put out 4 bales of hay and a bale of stalks in 30mins this morning and the wrap all went in the dumpster.

A razor sharp knife is important, and not many people keep a good edge on their knife these days. A swipe across the bale with shaving sharp knife pull the net of in one piece. Roll it in a ball and it goes to the burn barrel....... I'm thinking brute might be using a hatchet.... LoL

I buy spring loaded box knives that are bright orange or yellow. The blades can be replaced, the blade immediately retracts when not needed, and it's bright colored so if it's dropped it's easy to spot.

A razor sharp knife is important, and not many people keep a good edge on their knife these days. A swipe across the bale with shaving sharp knife pull the net of in one piece. Roll it in a ball and it goes to the burn barrel....... I'm thinking brute might be using a hatchet.... LoL

A rough edge cuts it as good as a sharp one. Take an old kitchen knife and give it a few swipes on some rough concrete.

I prefer net as well. I've never had netting wrap around my boot heel and almost send me out of the tractor head first.

Horse apples.. razor sharp. Cuts best

I know, but a lot of times there isn't a sharpening device around, there's almost always concrete close by.

Try it if you don't believe me, works a lot better than you might think.

I have a knife with the razor blades that I use from time to time to cut stuff I dont want to mess up my knife on but it's kind of cumbersome. I can shave the peach fuzz off my face with the Eye Brand on my hip at any given time. My grandfather had some of the WWII Kabar sharpeners in the leather cases. They are pretty slick tones. Between the stone and the leather you can turn a good knife it to a razor if you know what you are doing.

If you have tractors and equipment handy where you can hold it up it's not bad but off hay wagons and stuff it's a pain. Plus, I seem to get vines and all kinds of stuff try to grow up thru it. That was the problems with the stuff in the pic. The twine doesnt get vines as bad and even if you do it slides right thru.

Plus, you have to get on and off the tractor every time to cut the net wrap while they are up. I can get 10 bales with string with a tractor, all at once, then go back and cut strings and throw rings on, all at once. None of that on and off or in and out stuff before you get the next bales.

I sharpen my knife every night...right after supper...I thought all grown men did.....lol
You should see when I go out to our hunting leases and all the guys ask me to sharpen their knives. I tell them.. I'll show you for free or do it for you if you hand over your man card. They are use those belt dea and then wonder why it doesnt stay sharp.

My dad use to be really good at sharpening knives... even big knives with thick blades for skinning or sticking. He would have them shaving hair no problem. He went to the razon knives now but I think his hands hurt him to sharpen them too much now. Every now and then I'll grab a few and go to sharpening on them for him. I'll hand him one and ask him... hows that... he says... better than it was. Then makes a few swipes and says... there, that's sharp. šŸ˜‚ I let him have it since he taught me.

Last edited:
Net wrap will never be on my place again. Here it's not as simple as just unwrapping. It comes off with 2" of hay froze to it and it looks like a buffalo robe. That's the stuff that didn't freeze to the ground or to bale that was put too close beside it.
It takes 35 seconds to put sisal twine on from the comfort of a climate controlled cab. I'd sooner take the time then than at 40 below while the cows are staring at me.

Latest posts