Wettin' my feet

Help Support CattleToday:

I think your doing OK, you got a good start. I'm glad you wormed your cattle, it will help their appearance. I would give them a lick tub to supply Vitamins and mineral.
Looks to me like parasites and poor feed is part of the problem.
I would get the heifer bigger and in better shape before breeding.
Make sure the bull is a low birth weight.
You have a cow in the back ground with wicked horns, get rid of her or the horns. She is raming the others at the feed bunk and water tank and when ever. One of the reasons the heifer is not doing well. and the calf is smallish. No cattle man is going to have those type of horns in the cowherd.

Hey there new guy,
I am nor an Angus expert so can't say much about them. But I don't think your cattle look that bad. Worming and some good minerals will do them wonders. Get yourself some loose minerals from the Co-Op or Southern States or whatever feed store you have in your area and make them readily available for them to have as they want and need. They will only eat what their body needs and then they'll walk away from it. You can get a good loose pasture mineral for this time of year for them. Wean the heifer and see how she does wormed and on some decent pasture. And oh yeah by all means, that horned cow should go. I wouldn't have a cow with horns on my place :lol:

WHAT'S A GOOD MINERAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. i know location plays a big part. but i need to start somewhere on that. right now i give mine Purina Wind & Rain. ?????

We get ours at the Co-Op and it's a pasture or range mineral blend for this time of year. I can't remember what it's actually called but ask your feed store-they should be able to recommend a mineral for your location. Our cattle eat it all the time-I do believe it really helps.

RICHARDL":2jcuoo85 said:
WHAT'S A GOOD MINERAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. i know location plays a big part. but i need to start somewhere on that. right now i give mine Purina Wind & Rain. ?????

Richard,

I'm in Louisiana as well and give mine Wind and Rain with good success. There are those that believe that a cow gets all of the minerals she needs in the summer from the grass, except salt. Those cattlemen only give free choice minerals in the winter, but provide salt year round. I'm not advocating this, but if you want to pm me, I can give you some more info.

talldog":2slznll9 said:
Bez+":2slznll9 said:
talldog":2slznll9 said:
There's HARSH and then there's--- TOO HARSH-- which I think the majority were !! Everybody has to start on the bottom and work there way up--- Criticisim is best given out with a explanation !!! He's looking for some HELP, not a BASHING !!!
Everybody is NOT as SMART as MOST of you !!! Can YOU remember the mistakes you've made along the way !!! :stop: :stop: :stop:

Tell you what - he got advice and lots of it - here is some for you

Relax before you have a coronary.

Find something for your blood pressure problem.

Go find a new use for your fingers besides typing stop signs.

He has already responded and you are the idiot taking offence

Hey Pez----If I wanted advise, it wouldn't be from you---And by the way-- I got your stupid !!! :tiphat:

Talldog,

For your benefit, Bez is one of the more knowledgable members on here. If you don't like his advcie don't take it, but the guy knows more than most - and he's risking his life for our country as well. We all hear advice we don't like; sometimes we should listen more. I personally try to examine the point that any person is making that doesn't agree with me to make sure I'm not missing something. You never know when you'll learn something. Cut him some slack.

If you need advice---that's your buisness--- When Pez calls me stupid that's my buisness---He's not the only one here who has served, but some don't tute a horn !! Let me also say---- there's alot of experience on this Board besides Pez. He calls me stupid and don't know me from Adams House Cat, I question him and his FRIENDS !! :tiphat:

Well I didn't mean get a fuss started.

I have a salt block and a mineral block out for them to eat but they haven't hardly touched them. I'm going to look into the loose minerals and see if that helps. I hope I can get the cow and calf where they need to be. As for the Jersey steer with the horns, he is headed for the freezer REAL soon, so don't worry about him.

killingtime":4n6o05re said:

I have a salt block and a mineral block out for them to eat but they haven't hardly touched them. I'm going to look into the loose minerals and see if that helps. I hope I can get the cow and calf where they need to be. As for the Jersey steer with the horns, he is headed for the freezer REAL soon, so don't worry about him.

Killingtime, if your putting "blocks" out your probably throwing your money away. They call them trace mineral blocks because they only have trace. In all seriousness, check the label on one and look at it's guaranteed analysis. Compare it to a bag of loose minerals (any brand). You'd almost certainly be much better off giving your stock loose minerals - it would save you money and give the cows what they need.

killingtime":3h6epsm7 said:

I have a salt block and a mineral block out for them to eat but they haven't hardly touched them. I'm going to look into the loose minerals and see if that helps.

It's been my experience that if they don't really get into mineral in the first several days, they're not going to. I don't know if they think it's stale or contaminated or what, but sometimes they get a batch they just don't like. But Cypress is right; loose is generally better.
We've gone to the mineral feeders with the rubber lids and really like them. Just tie the tops up (with hay string or whatever) for a week or so and they'll get the hang of rooting under the rubber.

Killingtime, you might want to attach a smiley after any humor. I remember my first few posts making similar jokes like yours and was jumped on. Many oldtimers have pet peeves just waiting for an opening to vent. Alot of fights break out here - learn to enjoy them - grab some popcorn!

I was trying to find out where you said you were going to raise registered, papered stock and didn't see it. I might ask the more experienced - how do you describe an animal not crossbred, other than saying "purebred"?

RICHARDL":1w7vxv9m said:
That purina mineral is a good mineral and purina formulates their minerals for each area so yours should be what is needed in your area
I feed their minerals and this time of yr I feed one with High CTC because of fescue toxicity and It also has High Phosphorus because I breed in the fall I want to make sure they are adequate on it
in the spring I feed a high mag mineral to help against grass tetany

farmwriter":q7ioocnn said:
killingtime":q7ioocnn said:

I have a salt block and a mineral block out for them to eat but they haven't hardly touched them. I'm going to look into the loose minerals and see if that helps.

It's been my experience that if they don't really get into mineral in the first several days, they're not going to. I don't know if they think it's stale or contaminated or what, but sometimes they get a batch they just don't like. But Cypress is right; loose is generally better.
We've gone to the mineral feeders with the rubber lids and really like them. Just tie the tops up (with hay string or whatever) for a week or so and they'll get the hang of rooting under the rubber.
I believer that sometimes they just don't need it/eat it because they are getting the minerals and nutrients they need from the forages and dirt. Never the less, I do keep loose salt and minerals out year round and do keep it fresh (put a little out at a time till it's gone)

djinwa":1uy5crdm said:
Killingtime, you might want to attach a smiley after any humor. I remember my first few posts making similar jokes like yours and was jumped on. Many oldtimers have pet peeves just waiting for an opening to vent. Alot of fights break out here - learn to enjoy them - grab some popcorn!

I was trying to find out where you said you were going to raise registered, papered stock and didn't see it. I might ask the more experienced - how do you describe an animal not crossbred, other than saying "purebred"?

If someone describes an animal to me as "purebred" or "fullblood", I would expect it to have a registration certificate. If it is not crossbred but not registered, then "straightbred" or "grade whatever-breed" would be more accurate. I don't have a lot of patience for all the sad luck stories about why an animal is "really purebred but can't be registered". JMHO

Latest posts