Wet Year Hay Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
For those of you having a wet year and having hay get ripe,we went through that last year.

Although we had a lot of grazing up into winter,cattle still lost condition and there were a lot of down cows in the country.My neighbor thought,and I agree,we didn't have the strength in the grass and hay due to the extra moisture being like spring grass.Only when he and I started feeding grain supplement did the cows stop losing condition and look like they would make it through.My mistake was waiting too long.

Just my :2cents: but you may want to think about it.

Its been more or less wet here since spring of 15. Getting really old. I had my hopes up in may. Rain and tobacco farming far from ideal.

I really hope to see some hay tests from the so called overmature hay, think some results will be surprising. I know there are so many variables, but we usually test anyway.

kenny thomas said:
Going through that now. Still have 52 acres to cut. Will sample it but it can't be high-quality

Let us know what the results are if you don't mind. Was the fields you have left fertilized? I got maybe 10 aces left and the stems have already turned brown going to try and get it up this week.

If this seasons hay is a lost cause quality wise......why not just bushhog it down to about 6 inches and let it grow back? Looks like it would make better quality hay...maybe not the quantity but better quality.

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:
Going through that now. Still have 52 acres to cut. Will sample it but it can't be high-quality

Let us know what the results are if you don't mind. Was the fields you have left fertilized? I got maybe 10 aces left and the stems have already turned brown going to try and get it up this week.
What I have left to cut wasn't leased until June 1 so no fertilize. We will see what it does,

Banjo said:
If this seasons hay is a lost cause quality wise......why not just bushhog it down to about 6 inches and let it grow back? Looks like it would make better quality hay...maybe not the quantity but better quality.

Banjo, it was leased late so gotta get all I can from it. I will Suppliment if the tests show it's needed

snoopdog said:
I really hope to see some hay tests from the so called overmature hay, think some results will be surprising. I know there are so many variables, but we usually test anyway.

Surprising in what way; better or worse than expected?

I know the hay will be lower quality but I'll still take low quality hay over a hay shortage due to drought.

Worst case scenario I can supplement my fall calves while eating the poor quality hay.

herofan said:
snoopdog said:

I really believe, if tested , better than expected.

I had two batches tested this year. One tested better than expected for protein and the other was lower than I would have thought for a 4 point spread. Something I think is strange and haven't taken time to refresh my memory on the subject....TDN was only a couple points different. May not have been as overmature as I would hav3 thought since I know fertilization was different and most likely the cause of the 4 point spread.

i just cut first cutting yesterday and it looked great. these new grasses did amazing. I will test some hay and we'll see.

snoopdog said:
herofan said:
snoopdog said:

I really believe, if tested , better than expected.

Good. That is encouraging.

Latest posts