Wet and Warm!

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":104xebbx said:
We didn't get anywhere near as much as you did but we got enough to help quite a bit. I had quite a bit of fileria that got started earlier that was just about done that shot out and took off growing within a day of the storm.
I was amazed at how the grass responded so fast. It turned from brown to green over night it seems. Isn't the "fileria" a really high carbohydrate grass? I believe that is what the vet said was the biggest culprit in foundering my horses.
Where is your place located?

branguscowgirl":2rlm9rbk said:
cow pollinater":2rlm9rbk said:
We didn't get anywhere near as much as you did but we got enough to help quite a bit. I had quite a bit of fileria that got started earlier that was just about done that shot out and took off growing within a day of the storm.
I was amazed at how the grass responded so fast. It turned from brown to green over night it seems. Isn't the "fileria" a really high carbohydrate grass? I believe that is what the vet said was the biggest culprit in foundering my horses.
It is really high in protein. It will founder a horse if they get to much but it will grow calves like no other native grass in CA will. It's like clover without the bloat. This warm will make the blade grasses grow fast but it would have more power to it if it would freeze in the mornings. The fileria is an exception as if it's growing it is nutritious.
I am in Tulare County about half way between Fresno and Bakersfield and to the East right at the foot of the mountains.

cow pollinater":1xwfgec7 said:
branguscowgirl":1xwfgec7 said:
cow pollinater":1xwfgec7 said:
It is really high in protein. It will founder a horse if they get to much but it will grow calves like no other native grass in CA will. It's like clover without the bloat. This warm will make the blade grasses grow fast but it would have more power to it if it would freeze in the mornings. The fileria is an exception as if it's growing it is nutritious.
I am in Tulare County about half way between Fresno and Bakersfield and to the East right at the foot of the mountains.
Yes, It is almost time for me to pull the horses out of the pasture. As soon as it starts to grow, my horses will start with the Laminitis. :( Very frustrating to have to dry lot them all summer. I know exactly where your area is. I often drive down to Fresno for work. Thanks for the info.

My cows had just started to slack up on the hay, and then we got ice and freezing rain again last night. Hopefully that was the end of it. We go years without any freezing rain or snow, and this is about the 4th or 5th time this year. Must be that global warming. No, wait. I forgot. Now it's "Climate Change".

our cows are finally cutting back on hay now that the rye grass is kicking in good.an the cows calving have so much milk you see their teats dripping milk.an we are still feeding protine tubs along.