Well Pump Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Our well system is throwing the fault code for debris near/at the pump. Causing an over current. The controller is a SubDrive 75, made by franklin. I am not familiar with our system as it was installed before we were here. I do know the well is 580 or so feet deep. My question is do they locate the pump in the bottom of the hole? Anyone have any experience with a problem like this?

Couldn't have happened at a worse time. LOL.

Hoping to avoid calling someone to the farm. Its an awfully deep hole though.

Would it do any good to take the well cover off and stick a water hose in to fill with water. Maybe flush something out?

you could try to bypass the controller to see if it will pump water. The controller could possibly be bad so thats the first thing I would do.

Firstly, i am not the most mechanically inclined individual. So my descriptions may be lacking.

It isn't a problem upon startup. It runs fine at first. Builds pressure as it is supposed to. It stalls at different PSI each time. 30, 45, 85, etc. It normally runs about 88 psi. It has built full pressure and kicked off. Only to throw a fault code at some point in the night. All of a sudden, while running, the pressure stops building and the system reboots. Works fine for five or ten minutes and does it all over again.

That being said, would you still try to bypass the controller? Or does that eliminate a controller problem?

Should i go ahead and call a well tech?

That's odd, mine quit pumping Saturday after the Friday snow day.
I sanded the contacts on the pressure switch and they still didn't really look like good contacts.
Called TSC and they had a switch, $20. Called home depot and they had a control box, $80.
Replaced both and problem solved.
Only other thing is the pump itself.
Yup 200-300' down the well pipe.
I believe the bladder pressure tank can make pressure fluctuate but not sure.
Really good info on roto rooter website about well issues.
Good luck!

I agree with getting a pro out as soon as possible to trouble shoot the issue. Learn from the pro then if you want to try to do your own repairs you have a place to start from. Most of these self-taught, I can fix it guys do more harm than good IMO. :tiphat:

ddd75":264boy74 said:
you could try to bypass the controller to see if it will pump water. The controller could possibly be bad so thats the first thing I would do.

That's a good way to burn up and expensive piece of equipment. Need to get a meter and check if the motor is actually pulling what the controller says. That will tell you if the controller is bad or not.

Makes my shoulders burn to think about pulling one that deep, but it sure sounds like the right thing to do. Wiring around it smells a lot like money on fire. I'll second the motion to call the pros.

Out of curiosity, have you been extremely dry and recently had some moisture?

We have issues with our well picking up sediment with each wet spell following a dry period, to the point that a paper cartridge in our water filter would last literally 10 minutes. I put a spin-down filter on before the cartridge filter recently and it helps a lot with the symptoms. In the past, I've raised the well pump a few feet and fab'd a "sock" out of plastic drain pipe that attaches to the pipe above the pump and extends a couple feet below the pump. This seems to help a good bit, keeping the turbulent water away from the pump itself.

Best of luck with your issues.

I'm scared to death to mess with the controller any.

The fault code seems very correct to me as well.

If the pump were defective, in my mind it would be acting different.

Once the pump is pulled, what is a way to clear the debris?

We are calling a professional today if we cannot devise a reasonable method to pull the pump ourselves. But man, 580 ft sounds pretty rough. I just fear the pro will feel the same way.

cfpinz":kvnsuj9i said:
Out of curiosity, have you been extremely dry and recently had some moisture?

We have issues with our well picking up sediment with each wet spell following a dry period, to the point that a paper cartridge in our water filter would last literally 10 minutes. I put a spin-down filter on before the cartridge filter recently and it helps a lot with the symptoms. In the past, I've raised the well pump a few feet and fab'd a "sock" out of plastic drain pipe that attaches to the pipe above the pump and extends a couple feet below the pump. This seems to help a good bit, keeping the turbulent water away from the pump itself.

Best of luck with your issues.

Hasn't been dry. No Sir. My Pops thinks something is defective with the pump. But the pump seems to run fine to me. Its like something sucks up against the pump, causing it to pull super hard and it cuts out. IMO.

ClinchValley":bq5q2h5u said:

We are calling a professional today if we cannot devise a reasonable method to pull the pump ourselves. But man, 580 ft sounds pretty rough. I just fear the pro will feel the same way.

They will pull it no problem. There is a good chance it is rust, or scale, or some thing like that. Either way they should be able to jet the well with an air comp and clean it up.

ClinchValley":3ny2wno5 said:

550 to 600 feet is the common depth in this part of the county.
Well service here can put your checkbook in the ER .

Brute 23":22jqvwhf said:
ClinchValley":22jqvwhf said:

They will pull it no problem. There is a good chance it is rust, or scale, or some thing like that. Either way they should be able to jet the well with an air comp and clean it up.

I'm sure they will pull it no problem. LOL. Ought to be a good day for them. Bad day for us. But hey, we've repaired the controller twice now, saved some money there. Cannot win them all!

Had the Pro out. Replaced pressure sensor and controller. We are back up and running. Didn't touch the pump. Glad I didn't try myself.

Hope he did us right…

$1050. I worried it'd be double or triple that.

Showing my ignorance here, but just exactly what type of controller and sensor do you have?

Every well I've ever worked on or been around has had a $20ish Square D pressure switch, what's wrong with that setup?

Sounds like a VSD which is interesting. I'm going to look in to one for a 5hp pump we have. It would be nice to have the additional protections on that motor and help the life a little. It feeds 4 houses plus troughs and all kinds of stuff so a more constant pressure would be nice also.

Latest posts