Well .... Now what do we talk about

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":3idblqe9 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My last due cow dropped a nice heifer yesterday afternoon! :cowboy:

I have 6 teen pregnancies in those heifers I bought to breed. So if you get bored I can bring you a heifer or two that you can watch. If you want I can bring the calf jack when I drop off the heifers.

I had a cow out this morning. Sherrif calls me to let me know and they had already put it back in. She had pushed a bunch of fence staples out of a post. The deputy asked me about 2 cows in have. Why are they so thin? Best I could tell him is they're old and worn teeth. Wormed, fed 3 times a week, round bale largely untouched and grass in the field. The other bred cow with them looks fine.
Now I'm expecting a call from animal control. Not all cows are fat and pretty

hooknline":mxsdixjz said:
I had a cow out this morning. Sherrif calls me to let me know and they had already put it back in. She had pushed a bunch of fence staples out of a post. The deputy asked me about 2 cows in have. Why are they so thin? Best I could tell him is they're old and worn teeth. Wormed, fed 3 times a week, round bale largely untouched and grass in the field. The other bred cow with them looks fine.
Now I'm expecting a call from animal control. Not all cows are fat and pretty
I'm with you I've got one that I had seperated with the heifers right by the highway so I could feed her to try and get some condition back and she is a old too. I really don't want to take her to the sale looking as bad as she does. I moved her before I got a call.

hooknline":9h7a48si said:
presmudjo":9h7a48si said:
Hook please investigate what really happened in Astatula for the farmer to lose his cattle. They were underfed, but if they were working with him for 2 months? Was he a butt head, or just needed some help? Hook can get us the real story. Our news likes to sensationalize.
I saw that but don't know the story. The news said they were malnourished but they looked like a lot of other cattle around here to me. Hays run out, rains haven't kicked in yet. And were in a 4 year drought. Looking at the video, I've seen animals in far worse condition. But The video was taken after they were seized. So they may have been on feed and hay for a while. There's a lot of good animals that are thin right now. Stocking ratios are way different than they were a few years ago and some haven't caught on to that yet

Drought in FLA sounds crazy. I haven't been down there for 30 yrs, but when I was it was always either raining, just rained or about to rain.
It must be that danged climate change.
Be brutal about stocking rates. Your selling grass dressed like beef. A good one is worth a lot more than a sorry one. My sympathy to y'all on the sandbar.

You're right about that John. 10 years ago you could set your clock by the rains. 2:30 on the dot.
Not anymore. Right here in central florida you could get away with a stocking rate of 1-1 or 2-1 (acres per pair). Now it's more like 5-1 or 10-1. Unless you're irrigated.

bhooper":1cjyiq2p said:
highgrit":1cjyiq2p said:
I' am going to be raking and baling, and I don't like to work on Sunday but Oh well. And on Monday we plan to knock 115ac of wheat hay down. The worst part of that is I have to deliver it 35 miles one way.

Is the wheat you plant for wheat hay the same as what you plant for grain? I've always wondered why more people in my area don't plant wheat for hay or pasture. In your opinion what would be the pros and cons of planting wheat for hay?

Thanks

Wheat hay is good hay. Usually good yielding, but it helps to have the option to go to grain. You should have a netwrap,, otherwise use lots of string. Very digestible is you get it early enough. If weather makes you late, it is wheat straw with enough wheat in the bales to attract mice. Cows generally accept it well.

Animal control just called me about the 2 thin cows. She admitted there's hay, plenty of grass, and i told her we're going from feeding 3 times a week to daily feeding. They've been wormed etc.
lucky me they're going to check back in 2 weeks

What is the return on keeping a cow like that? If there is plenty of grass, plus hay, plus feed and it's poor enough for someone from animal control to show up.

fitz

They breed back. Poor is a matter of perception. The deputy that called animal control has no clue. Neither does animal control. In 2 months they won't recognize those animals. Of course in the next week those cows won't be there for their inspection. They'll be on some back field away from prying eyes.
But you're right. Unless they really bounce back good ill sell them at the end of the summer before grasses shut off

I have a few thin one's myself. Bought 2 cows a few weeks ago that are real thin. I wormed and vaccinated them and turned them in with the rest. I will double my money this fall on them, I hope can find a few more of them. See what Alan started again. I hope animal control doesn't have the same rights as DCF. Where do they draw the line on being to thin?? Thin to you might mean something else to me. Really stinks that some college kid can tell you your cows are to thin. Need Gov. out of our lives.

highgrit":1lbo3oon said:
I have a few thin one's myself. Bought 2 cows a few weeks ago that are real thin. I wormed and vaccinated them and turned them in with the rest. I will double my money this fall on them, I hope can find a few more of them. See what Alan started again. I hope animal control doesn't have the same rights as DCF. Where do they draw the line on being to thin?? Thin to you might mean something else to me. Really stinks that some college kid can tell you your cows are to thin. Need Gov. out of our lives.

Huh??? I'm looking for an answer, is this a joke, humor, serious???? :?

hooknline":1op51tzh said:
They breed back. Poor is a matter of perception. The deputy that called animal control has no clue. Neither does animal control. In 2 months they won't recognize those animals. Of course in the next week those cows won't be there for their inspection. They'll be on some back field away from prying eyes.
But you're right. Unless they really bounce back good ill sell them at the end of the summer before grasses shut off
Does this animal control checking your cows thing happen other places too, i have never heard of it, and i don't think I would take it too well.

highgrit":1ztnq5jy said:

Fair enough, my appoligies for being a bit gun shy for various reasons.

For the record my bred cows get a bit too thin late winter, very early spring. The time of year hay is hard to find and very expensive and before new grass comes on ... It happens every year.

denvermartinfarms":2oro9xds said:
hooknline":2oro9xds said:
Does this animal control checking your cows thing happen other places too, i have never heard of it, and i don't think I would take it too well.

As mentioned animal control, the county, took about 130 head from a long time producer. As I said before there is more to the story. He also owed many of thousands of dollars to the state and county for dumping waste produced at his feed lot straight into a river, no system, just raw sewage.

We have also have animal control taking horses as rescue horses all the time.

denvermartinfarms":3t928lyr said:
hooknline":3t928lyr said:
All it takes is one tree higher to call animal control and they are required to investigate.

Neighbor's 86 year old grandmother had a deputy stop about a skinny horse in her front field. She told the deputy that the horse was 43 years old and she had raised it from a foal. And he was in that field where she could keep an eye on him and feed him better. The deputy said OK. About two weeks later the deputy stopped in again because someone had complained. This time she brought out a picture of her and her late husband with the horse when he was a 2 year old to prove its age. She told the deputy this is that horse as a youngster. And she added that he might notice that she looked a lot better in the picture too.

Osceola county has changed from Animal Control to Animal Services. That should say it all right there. Heard they don't like the idea of dogs being shot even if they are messing with your livestock. New management ya know. I guess the supposed city folk forget what East Osceola does for a living.

hooknline":267vl73h said:
You're right about that John. 10 years ago you could set your clock by the rains. 2:30 on the dot.
Not anymore. Right here in central florida you could get away with a stocking rate of 1-1 or 2-1 (acres per pair). Now it's more like 5-1 or 10-1. Unless you're irrigated.

Correct, we will go to 5 to 1 if absolutely necessary, but we prefer the 10 to 1 if we can.