We'll never have a good discussion

Help Support CattleToday:

Turkeys! The old native american neihgbor had a turkey trap. Gave it to my grandaddy. I was small enough back then to crawl up into it. Crawled into it one day and there were three turkeys in it. What a mess! It works like a quail trap only made out of cedar staves. To a 3 year old kid its quite the "fort". You get up in that trap and no one can see you but you can see out thru the staves. Just don't crawl into one when there's turkeys in the back of it.

backhoeboogie":27onwjlv said:
Turkeys! The old native american neihgbor had a turkey trap. Gave it to my grandaddy. I was small enough back then to crawl up into it. Crawled into it one day and there were three turkeys in it. What a mess! It works like a quail trap only made out of cedar staves. To a 3 year old kid its quite the "fort". You get up in that trap and no one can see you but you can see out thru the staves. Just don't crawl into one when there's turkeys in the back of it.

I noticed you call em staves. We call em cedar stays. I realize a Turkey trap would be a different application and stave might be appropriate for that. But we call em cedar stays no matter the use.

We need to put some stays in that west fence.

The goose got after me and I whipped it off with a cedar stay. :D

Agreed on the geese, and you can put a few ornery old roosters on that list too.. We had an old Barred Rock that was some kind of mean, and on 2 occasions we had visitors with 5 year old know-it-all little boys, and we told them "Don't go near the hens, the rooster will get you".. well, without fail after 5 minutes they'd go trotting over to the hen pen, and without fail, they'd come running back like heck with the rooster chasing them. Lesson learned I think!

Cats attacking out of nowhere are the exception, though it evidently happens.. Thing about that is they probably give you less of a warning than a dog does

Do real men really have problems with cats and geese attacking them, or is this a joke?
I was taught as a kid to never run from anything, you can't dodge what you can't see. Maybe a couple of y'all should consider taking a self-defense course.

backhoeboogie":chckkyvc said:

6. Or half dozen. It's the same.

Most people call the twisted wire pieces stays. You can google fence stays and see what I'm talking about. Staves are tied to the fence. Or steepled if their heavy staves. But if we were talking and you pointed at the fence and called my staves "stays", I would know what you were talking about.

Google staves. Google stays. You'll see I am right. You'll see that I am wrong. What you won't see is that it really doesn't matter. But I call the twisted wires stays.

True Grit Farms":3pz9tdpl said:
Do real men really have problems with cats and geese attacking them, or is this a joke?
I was taught as a kid to never run from anything, you can't dodge what you can't see. Maybe a couple of y'all should consider taking a self-defense course.

Guess we ain't the natural born badazz you are true grit. Thanks for the reminder.
.Or maybe every body was just having a little fun...

True Grit Farms":hlj9yfma said:
In my case I started it by chasing and catching the goose. Had nothing to do with fear. Had nothing to do with the goose kicking my a$$ either. Quite evident the guys that talked me into it knew exactly what was going to happen. Thought they were never going to quit laughing.

backhoeboogie":3lf6ytxn said:
backhoeboogie":3lf6ytxn said:

6. Or half dozen. It's the same.

Most people call the twisted wire pieces stays. You can google fence stays and see what I'm talking about. Staves are tied to the fence. Or steepled if their heavy staves. But if we were talking and you pointed at the fence and called my staves "stays", I would know what you were talking about.

Google staves. Google stays. You'll see I am right. You'll see that I am wrong. What you won't see is that it really doesn't matter. But I call the twisted wires stays.
Around here if it's used on a dence it's a stay, if it's used in a barrel it's a stave

There was an ostrich farm by my oldest boys the guy had an old VW to collect the eggs. Had the floorboard cut out and would drive over the nest if you could call it that, more like a wallow.
That VW looked like it had been a destruction derby from those birds kicking it.

Bestoutwest":wmosy0ne said:
callmefence":wmosy0ne said:
Anybody else ever been bit by a dam goose.
They bite and twist in the same motion .
Kindest like one them nurple purples or something like that.
They ain't as bad as weenie dogs or cats. But pretty dam horrifying. If you own one ..for God sakes THINK OF THE CHILDREN..... 8)

In Boise, ID they have a fairly decent population of them that sticks around all year. Yesterday we went to town to take our son on a nature hike and saw a few. Made him give them a wide birth as they can get feisty and they're about as big as he is. Boy they shyte all over everything. I don't understand the appeal of owning one of those things.
I had a pair of big white ruffled feather geese a few years ago, and liked 'em fine as long as they stayed down at the pond, but I'd pen them close to the house at night (coyotes) and eventually, they figured out where the feed was coming from. Started staying in the yard and pooped a foot long stream of scoury looking sheite every other step it seemed. Last straw was them 'bathing' in the dog's water container everyday, leaving feathers and goose poop. I found 'em a different home and good riddance. I've always heard, if you keep enough of them long enough, your pond bottom will eventually be worse than quicksand.

Nesikep":5gntrl2n said:
Agreed on the geese, and you can put a few ornery old roosters on that list too.. We had an old Barred Rock that was some kind of mean, and on 2 occasions we had visitors with 5 year old know-it-all little boys, and we told them "Don't go near the hens, the rooster will get you".. well, without fail after 5 minutes they'd go trotting over to the hen pen, and without fail, they'd come running back like heck with the rooster chasing them. Lesson learned I think!

Cats attacking out of nowhere are the exception, though it evidently happens.. Thing about that is they probably give you less of a warning than a dog does

Nesikep when I was 5 years old we had a great big old Dominicker rooster that jumped on me for no reason. He wasn't provoked at all. Tore my face up pretty bad. I still remember seeing my father swing the axe that cut his big ole head off. I still like chickens though. Not sure what that roosters problem was.

I'll take a bunch of old geese, roosters or turkeys over a swan any day of the week! A swan is probably the most hateful bird that ever lived!

As for emus and ostriches, those jokers will kick the he77 out of you!

greybeard":9l44woq7 said:
I had a pair of big white ruffled feather geese a few years ago, and liked 'em fine as long as they stayed down at the pond, but I'd pen them close to the house at night (coyotes) and eventually, they figured out where the feed was coming from. Started staying in the yard and pooped a foot long stream of scoury looking sheite every other step it seemed. Last straw was them 'bathing' in the dog's water container everyday, leaving feathers and goose poop. I found 'em a different home and good riddance. I've always heard, if you keep enough of them long enough, your pond bottom will eventually be worse than quicksand.
I had a flock of about a dozen Emden geese that I hatched out. They followed me around a like a pack of dogs. As long as I went in the back door after leaving them outside of the fence there wasn;t an issue. Then they discoverd that I frequently came ou the front door, so they started waiting for me there. Really brought home the meaning of slicker than goose sh t. Those that we didn;t eat gradually succumbed to the coyotes and dog packs that roamed the country side.

JMJ Farms":mxahdij8 said:
Nesikep":mxahdij8 said:

Nesikep when I was 5 years old we had a great big old Dominicker rooster that jumped on me for no reason. He wasn't provoked at all. Tore my face up pretty bad. I still remember seeing my father swing the axe that cut his big ole head off. I still like chickens though. Not sure what that roosters problem was.

Did you stick your hand out so he could smell you.... :D

Nesikep":fy74cu6l said:
Maybe you should be around the cats a little often....just saying.

I'm around cats lots more than dogs

Roosters don't need to be provoked at all.. they go about pretending to eat pebbles while you look at them, just waiting for you to turn your back so they can fly at you... The one we had just wouldn't give up, it didn't matter how much you kicked him through the air, when you figured you had beaten him enough and walked way, he'd crow as if he'd won.. Until we pretty much beat him to death, and the younger, up-and-coming rooster took advantage of this and exiled him from the hen pen.. Yotes eventually got him

Nesikep":wg024fvu said:
If you're getting bitten by a cat, you're probably doing all of the same things that get you bitten by a dog.. invading it's 'personal' space. Cats greatly prefer to run away than attack.

Nesi, to a few cats I've known, the entire world is their "personal space" which you are not to invade under penalty of fangs and claws.
I have known 2-3 cats with bona fide mental issues that would hide and then hurl themselves onto you with fangs and claws. One was a cat a friend had gotten from the rescue shelter. It would lie in wait and stalk anyone in her apartment. It was a bit small for its age and had been "given up" by two prior owners due to its violent and psychotic behavior. (Everyone took to calling it "Psycho-Cat"). Finally, it really lay into her one day and when she got back from the ER, she admitted it was time to go bye-bye. The vet who put it down said it probably had brain damage (maybe in utero). That thing was never "right." When you stayed at her apartment, you didn't dare get up at night to visit the john or get a drink of water. I had to take a shower before she went to bed or it would attack me when I opened the bathroom door, and not let me by. One night, I cracked the door open and it was just waiting there in the dark, glaring at me. Before I went to bed, I had to make sure it wasn't hiding under the bed or it would would attack me in my sleep. (Can you get PTSD from a cat?)
Whenever she would pack to go out of town for work, it would crawl into her open suitcase and pee because it was mad.