Well. I did it. Sold out

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN said:
I'm afraid if I ever sold out,,,I'd like it so much I wouldn't get back in...

I sold every cow on my place just a few weeks ago. The day after, it's like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Just not enough time in the day to work full time and keep up 80 acres, and the animals.

I haven't had the bug YET to get back in.

papavillars said:
TT,i am doing fine , thanks for asking. Just thinking about relocating to the cooler temps,. looked at a place outside of Bend ,Oregon.I will keep my place in Texas, lease it out and save it for my kids.

Where's your place in Texas located?

cypressfarms said:
ALACOWMAN said:

I sold every cow on my place just a few weeks ago. The day after, it's like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Just not enough time in the day to work full time and keep up 80 acres, and the animals.

I haven't had the bug YET to get back in.

You will.

my place is between dallas and houston on hgwy 75: its a small town called Dew. I have 87 acres at that location. two ponds that are stream fed but did lose a little water a couple years ago.

papavillars said:
my place is between dallas and houston on hgwy 75: its a small town called Dew. I have 87 acres at that location. two ponds that are stream fed but did lose a little water a couple years ago.

I went that way a few months back when we went to wills point to pay for some overhead bins. Don't remember goin through a dew, pretty country though

when they finished i45 it killed the small community of Dew. unless you are looking for it its unremarkable. the location is great for me. i still maintain a residence in the metroplex and pass by any big box sore you can think of on the way here. i typically spend at least four nights a week there, more in the winter.

I'm jealous.

One day I hope I can have the money to just have cattle for hobby purpose. I would run extremely under stocked with just a small herd to play around with. I would sell cattle and hay just to meet people, donate cattle to kids, sell heifers on the cheap to people getting started... just enjoy it.

papavillars said:
TT,i am doing fine , thanks for asking. Just thinking about relocating to the cooler temps,. looked at a place outside of Bend ,Oregon.I will keep my place in Texas, lease it out and save it for my kids.

Bend??? You must like Yuppies and have a ton of money to throw at buying a place. Lots of good places in Oregon. Bend and Burns are not on the top of the list.

Brute 23 said:
I'm jealous.

One day I hope I can have the money to just have cattle for hobby purpose. I would run extremely under stocked with just a small herd to play around with. I would sell cattle and hay just to meet people, donate cattle to kids, sell heifers on the cheap to people getting started... just enjoy it.

That is the model I operate.

Caustic Burno said:
ALACOWMAN said:

I have thought of the exact exit strategy Bryant is using.
Kinda seems like the best of both worlds.

Store bought beef just isn't the same. Its a gamble too. Getting good beef year after year tends to make you picky on what you eat. So you gotta keep something to put in the freezer.

Dave, the yuppies dont bother me to much but i need to be near an airport so we can fly in easily. sil has a plane so we can fly gkids in and out. land is expensive where do you suggest. also a great golf course near Bend, the Pronghorn.

papavillars said:
Dave, the yuppies dont bother me to much but i need to be near an airport so we can fly in easily. sil has a plane so we can fly gkids in and out. land is expensive where do you suggest. also a great golf course near Bend, the Pronghorn.
First off we need to know how you vote....LOL. Bend is getting really expensive, I didn't know about Burns, that used to be a nothing town. Baker City and La Grande is God's country, probably no place more beautiful. If I was going to move to Oregon that's where I would go, but if I had my choice, I'd run off to southern Idaho in a moments notice.

papavillars said:

We looked at a lot of places before we bought this one. Out a ways from Bend, we looked at places in Madras, Prineville, Powell Butte, and La Pine. Other areas of the state we looked included Klamath Falls, La Grande, Pilot Rock, Vale, John Day and Ontario. Probably looked at over 30 places before buying. We ended up buying one 30 miles east of Baker City. One in Madras had an airport half a mile away. One in Ontario had a golf coarse for a neighbor.
You appear to have a different criteria than we had. I have never played golf and it has been years since I was last up in a plane.
The wife lived in Harney County (Burns) for 14 years. She says Burns is the arm pit of Oregon. I wasn't even allowed to look there. Klamath Falls is having water wars thus is a good place to avoid. Baker City has both an airport and a golf coarse although I have never utilized either one so I am not sure how big they are. But I do know that one of my neighbors flies for a large company and flies a private jet out of Baker City. La Grande is 3 or 4 times bigger than Baker and has a college so I am sure it has both. Ontario has an airport road so i assume there is an airport. It is on the Oregon / Idaho line and only 60 miles or so from Boise so I am certain there are multiple golf coarses in the area. Pilot Rock is just south of Pendleton which has an airport and is big enough that I would assume a place to hit a golf ball.
Most any where along I-84 from The Dallas to Ontario would be good. I would leave out the Hermiston/Boardman area. Madras and John Day would also be good areas.

i can drive to play golf but my wife likes to be one hour close to an airport. water is always a concern with cattle. i only need a place big enough for fifty momma cows and a couple of horses, horses arent mine but gdaughters. i also like that is a gun rights state, i would not live anywhere it wasnt. still looking going back up Oct 7th. flying in for a seminar on canyon flying at monument valley then flying up to Bend.

I would recommend you get in touch with Travis Bloomer at Whitney Land Co. out of Pendleton. Absolutely a straight shooter and he will have a handle on availability all over Eastern Oregon.

Brute 23 said:
I'm jealous.

I don't do it just as a hobby, If I don't make some money at it I don't do it. before I loose money at it I will let my place grow up and just deer hunt it. But I have did what I am going to do years ago for several years and there is more money it than holding cattle year around and raising calves. I know its not for everyone but I live where there is some big cattle auctions that you can still buy good cows with some age calve them and sell

papavillars said:
i can drive to play golf but my wife likes to be one hour close to an airport. water is always a concern with cattle. i only need a place big enough for fifty momma cows and a couple of horses, horses arent mine but gdaughters. i also like that is a gun rights state, i would not live anywhere it wasnt. still looking going back up Oct 7th. flying in for a seminar on canyon flying at monument valley then flying up to Bend.

What kind of airport are you talking about? International. commercial, commuter flights, a place for SIL to land whatever he has, or a place to set down a Piper Cub.
A place to run 50 cows very close to Bend will cost a small fortune. Maybe a large fortune. I have a friend who had a 250 cow ranch with no hay ground in that area. He sold it and bought a 750 cow operation here that grew extra hay with the money.

my wife needs an airport to travel commercially nationwide. i have grandkids spread throughout. My sil has a citation and a 182 that he can land almost anywhere, not with me in it. he wants to build a grass strip whereever we end up.