Well. I did it. Sold out

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have been talking for the last 3 or 4 years that I was going to sell out. Last year I sold some this year I sold the rest. I cant remember when the last time was that I did not have some cows around the place. I am not quitting the cattle just changing the way I do it, not planning on wintering cows and going right before spring and buying, either or both, buying old heavy bred or young open wet bags and selling in the fall years ago I did that and made as much or more than I do keeping cows year around and driving 50 miles to take care of them.
Also I always wondered about cows that come in to sale with blemishes that are 6+ months bred if a guy could not do good on them. Like a bad eye, small knots, hurt foot, just cull cows I see them sell cheap and the 1 calf at 350 lbs would more than pay for the cow then send her through open and let her go as a killer cow ????? that's another option I always thought about ????

That could work!

A few months ago I sold every cow, calf & the bull with the exception of 4 pairs, as we are moving to a different part of the state. The property's fences were never maintained so it was just easier to sell out but for a few and fence in a couple of pastures and maybe build back up after moving. I have to admit, it was bittersweet, difficult, as I had spent many years getting them to be what I wanted them to be. After a few months of this, though, it is far easier just having the 4 pairs!

Anyhow, like you, I am thinking about options. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Its a ever changing industry and would be nice to have nothing in the pasture so you could take advantage of some bargains when opportunity arises.

Saw some decent mid age cows, 8 months bred go through last week at about $50 over slaughter price. I would have bought every one of them if I had some room but with no rain now in 5 weeks, its starting to be pretty slim pickins around here.

Earlier in the year old cow pairs were the best deal and pretty much risk free. I did buy a couple of those and now have a couple cows with a true cost of $300.

You have to be flexible, we've sold out. You'll buy back ss or a limping cow, doctor her and she'll throw a beautiful heifer and wean it heavy. Then you'll keep the heifer, and be back kneedeep.

snoopdog said:
You have to be flexible, we've sold out. You'll buy back ss or a limping cow, doctor her and she'll throw a beautiful heifer and wean it heavy. Then you'll keep the heifer, and be back kneedeep.
I hear you and I can winter a few here at home and not have to drive 50 miles. I know a man wanting to sell some cows and was talking to my wife yester day and wondering what I could buy them for. She said you just sold and are already looking for more ???? I guess it kind of gets in a man blood to own cattle ???

5S Cattle said:
If you're in east central Texas lease me your land :lol2:
I'm in Okla. but have people wanting to lease the place, wont say that will not happen. But probably not. If I leased it out I would lease it to where they had to have the hay cut and removed and the pastures cattle free by Sept 15 we deer hunt and would not want people in there after Sept 15. I know some people leasing there places out like that.

I am doing the same thing. At age 67 wintering cows is less fun than it once was and my machinery is in worse shape than I am. Trouble is that schemes that once made sense, are less profitable when everyone is trying to do them. A few years ago nurse cows raising 3 or 4 calves made more money than regular cows turned out, Lots of people with more time than money got in and it was no longer was worth the trouble.
Got to stay loose and flexible. Worse thing is following the herd and being last to the trough.

BRYANT said:
5S Cattle said:
I'm in Okla. but have people wanting to lease the place, wont say that will not happen. But probably not. If I leased it out I would lease it to where they had to have the hay cut and removed and the pastures cattle free by Sept 15 we deer hunt and would not want people in there after Sept 15. I know some people leasing there places out like that.
Where at in OK, looking at a couple of places around Okema.

I told my husband a while back when we first started buying cattle again... we should buy in the spring and sell in right before fall. Made sense to me I don't know. 🤷‍♀️ I personally don't want to go out in the cold feed them and stuff. Plus I don't know about ya'll but we have to buy hay and feed during the winter so that's cutting in to our 🤑
Lesson learn for us I definitely purchase to much cattle for our field. Should have started smaller not dived in head first but HAY here we are doing the darn thing. 😁 Happy cows, s#$% kickers aka my flip flops and all.

snoopdog said:
BRYANT said:
5S Cattle said:
Where at in OK, looking at a couple of places around Okema.
I am close to Okema but I got a guy from church that wants to lease it to farm if I decided to lease it out ,he already does the hay. I will keep you in mind if I decide to go that way, but probably wont I enjoy messing with cows just tired of the winter and 50 mile drive

papavillars said:
5S how many acres are you looking to lease and for how many head?

I'd like to put the momma cows I have right now at another place and start pre conditioning calves where I currently have my cows. I keep around 40-50 head mommas so it would have to be able to hold that or somewhere close. I could cull a couple

My interest is in genetics and reproduction. I would have no motivation for buying someone's breeding efforts and calving them out. My interest is from conception to birth.

When I quit. - I am totally going to quit. Sell everything so my son doesn't have a headache when I return to the elements. I have no desire to fatten out a Bovine and sell it. I fully understand that someone who has to make a living does not have that luxury.

TT,i am doing fine , thanks for asking. Just thinking about relocating to the cooler temps,. looked at a place outside of Bend ,Oregon.I will keep my place in Texas, lease it out and save it for my kids.

Latest posts