Welfare Phone Assistance?

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
:shock: :shock: :shock:

What Benefits are Available Under the Lifeline and Link-Up Programs?

Lifeline Assistance provides discounts on basic monthly service at the primary residence for qualified telephone subscribers. These discounts can be up to $10.00 per month, depending on your state.

Link-Up America helps income-eligible consumers initiate telephone service. This program pays one-half (up to a maximum of $30) of the initial installation fee for a traditional, wireline telephone or activation fee for a wireless telephone for a primary residence. It also allows participants to pay the remaining amount they owe on a deferred schedule, interest-free.

How Do I Qualify for Lifeline and Link-Up Discounts?

The Lifeline and Link-Up Programs are available to qualifying consumers in every state, territory, and commonwealth. Eligibility criteria vary by state. States that have their own Lifeline program may have their own criteria. For states that rely solely on the federal Lifeline and Link-Up program eligibility criteria, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Medicaid,
Food Stamps,
Supplemental Security Income (SSI),
Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8),
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or
The National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/lllu.html

Who Pays for the Lifeline and Link-Up Programs?

All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal USF based on a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues. These companies include wireline phone companies, wireless phone companies, paging service companies, and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers.

Some consumers may notice a "Universal Service" line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge. The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers. Each company makes a business decision about whether and how to assess charges to recover its Universal Service costs. These charges usually appear as a percentage of the consumer's phone bill. Companies that choose to collect Universal Service fees from their customers cannot collect an amount that exceeds their contribution to the USF. They also cannot collect any fees from a Lifeline program participant.

HerefordSire":3qw129si said:
The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers. Each company makes a business decision about whether and how to assess charges to recover its Universal Service costs.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: two plus two is uhhhhhhhhhh gimme a minute I'll get back to you once I check the polls.

Jogeephus":wjtip5vt said:
HerefordSire":wjtip5vt said:
The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers. Each company makes a business decision about whether and how to assess charges to recover its Universal Service costs.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: two plus two is uhhhhhhhhhh gimme a minute I'll get back to you once I check the polls.

I feel sorry for whoever is the next Repulican President. They need to pay that person $1M per year, of course, before the book deals, but not the $1.6M award for Nobel Peace Prize.

HerefordSire":6sd1ei91 said:
I feel sorry for whoever is the next Repulican President. They need to pay that person $1M per year, of course, before the book deals, but not the $1.6M award for Nobel Peace Prize.

Doesn't really matter who the next president is........

They're screwed. :dunce:

It's called "Lit-Up Texas" and yes,I'm on it. I'm old,sick and am very grateful for the social programs. Without them I'd be old,sick and liveing under an overpass somewhere. As is,I've got a roof over my head,food to eat and painkillers when needed..Also a ride to chemo..

peg4x4":20qi1i57 said:
It's called "Lit-Up Texas" and yes,I'm on it. I'm old,sick and am very grateful for the social programs. Without them I'd be old,sick and liveing under an overpass somewhere. As is,I've got a roof over my head,food to eat and painkillers when needed..Also a ride to chemo..

Peg,I think most everyone here on CT know you and also know these programs are designed for people like you,who are not taking advantage but are using them because you need them. And you need not to feel ashamed.You have worked and payed for every bit of this and more.
A lot of us in good health don't think it could ever happen to us,but it certainly could at anytime.

I am going to be led to believe the reason it was posted here is that the poster was thinking of all the people who will get on this and not need it.Anyhow I hope that was the reason.
Don't know why anyone would want to see the people who paved the way before them have to live in the streets or under a bridge. We treat or older people bad enough as it is.
My thoughts.

Cal

Calman":1asn6tnr said:
peg4x4":1asn6tnr said:

Peg,I think most everyone here on CT know you and also know these programs are designed for people like you,who are not taking advantage but are using them because you need them. And you need not to feel ashamed.You have worked and payed for every bit of this and more.
A lot of us in good health don't think it could ever happen to us,but it certainly could at anytime.

I am going to be led to believe the reason it was posted here is that the poster was thinking of all the people who will get on this and not need it.Anyhow I hope that was the reason.
Don't know why anyone would want to see the people who paved the way before them have to live in the streets or under a bridge. We treat or older people bad enough as it is.
My thoughts.

Cal

My thoughts as well, so I won't take time to re-type it.

Larry

peg4x4":1jxrl7wu said:

I posted the article because I was not aware of it. I don't think any taxpayer would mind helping you, or those similar, with any reasonable expense.

Is this the same program as the one they keep advertising on TV about getting a FREE cell phone. Doesn't sound the same but then again it does.

No,not the same as the cell phone thing-this is a land-line only,takes care of all the "line care"taxes ,such~any long distance calls I make are mine to pay for.All local calls are free..Having the landline is mandatory for having the "alert"pendant.
I too am distressed at all the fraud in the system.Too many times I've been in a government office watching a family on food stamps,with the very latest in cellphone and game boys.

Latest posts