CFAP corona virus food assistance program

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Just got an email, that sign ups will start soon. Not to sound like a dead beat freeloading mooch, but I wonder what we will get?

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
I hear they got some hogs

I was talking to a processor yesterday and he told me you can buy all the hogs you want up north for 35 cents a pound. Down here we have to pay a dollar but no haul bill. But be prepared to slaughter them yourself.
Can get you all you want here for .50

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
callmefence said:
I hear they got some hogs

I was talking to a processor yesterday and he told me you can buy all the hogs you want up north for 35 cents a pound. Down here we have to pay a dollar but no haul bill. But be prepared to slaughter them yourself.

Well, you are North of me... :tiphat:

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:

I was south of Rogersville today looking at some equipment. Almost to your town

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:

I was south of Rogersville today looking at some equipment. Almost to your town
Let me know the next time you are down this way and I will buy you lunch. Were you at Hook's place?

I was told sign ups start tomorrow. The web page still says details will be coming soon. Anybody know more about it?

Bigfoot said:
I was told sign ups start tomorrow. The web page still says details will be coming soon. Anybody know more about it?

My FSA director said signups were Tuesday of next week. Have to make an appointment to get in. I just wonder what the difference between Part 1 and Part 2 payments are? Doesn't specify on the webpage. I'd hope for Payment 1, but probably only get Payment 2. Either way, it's more than what I got now.

So I did a little more reading, and the payment 1 is for eligible livestock that was sold Jan 15-April 15. Payment 2 is for highest inventory of eligible livestock OWNED between April 16-May 14th.

VaCowman said:
So I did a little more reading, and the payment 1 is for eligible livestock that was sold Jan 15-April 15. Payment 2 is for highest inventory of eligible livestock OWNED between April 16-May 14th.

I bet your right. I had $ signs flashing. I'll still do ok though.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
I sold a bull and a cow in March.
Are they giving money away for that?
And what about this total inventory? Is that a dollar amount for every animal I own?

My interpretation is this...

The bull and cow should qualify for payment if you got 5% loss in pricing due to COVID. I'm not sure how that will be calculated (local pricing or national avg) but you will need your receipt. According to the CFAP website, if they meet the requirements, the payment rate is $92/head. Anything sold between mid January and mid April are eligible for signup.

In regards to the inventory portion, your highest inventory of qualifying livestock between April 16 and May 14 are eligible for payment of $33/head. I'm not sure if pairs count as one, or if they count as 2. I haven't seen that spelled out anywhere.

Again, this is MY interpretation of the wording on the CFAP webpage at farmers.gov. To be sure, you probably need to contact your local FSA office to get clarification. Pretty sure official sign ups are next Tuesday. The FSA offices are only allowing folks with appointments to come into the buildings, so you'll probably have to call and set up an appointment to actually go in and sign up. There will probably be an online signup, but not 100% on that. I also do not know what will "pass" in regards to records or proof. Again, a good question for your FSA folks!

VaCowman said:
My interpretation is this...

The bull and cow should qualify for payment if you got 5% loss in pricing due to COVID. I'm not sure how that will be calculated (local pricing or national avg) but you will need your receipt. According to the CFAP website, if they meet the requirements, the payment rate is $92/head. Anything sold between mid January and mid April are eligible for signup.

In regards to the inventory portion, your highest inventory of qualifying livestock between April 16 and May 14 are eligible for payment of $33/head. I'm not sure if pairs count as one, or if they count as 2. I haven't seen that spelled out anywhere.

Again, this is MY interpretation of the wording on the CFAP webpage at farmers.gov. To be sure, you probably need to contact your local FSA office to get clarification. Pretty sure official sign ups are next Tuesday. The FSA offices are only allowing folks with appointments to come into the buildings, so you'll probably have to call and set up an appointment to actually go in and sign up. There will probably be an online signup, but not 100% on that. I also do not know what will "pass" in regards to records or proof. Again, a good question for your FSA folks!

Thank you sir!
Kind of what I was thinking as well. I've never been keen on cattle welfare. Always try to do the best I can with what I've earned. Just figure the market is what it is on sale day.
I bet fsa phones are ringing off the hook. I'll see what they say when I get a minute

You know, it's really not clear. If you get payment one on everything, that's a wad of cash. I sold several during that time frame, so I can't complain.

Latest posts