Weird issue when bottle feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

slscores

Reaction score
Hello,
We have a Holstein calf that keeps making a weird sound when bottle feeding. It's hard to describe, it makes a loud gulping sound or weird sound in the throat, then has to stop drinking every 30 seconds or so, then starts drinking again, it almost sounds like the calf may be taking milk into its lungs. The calf wont drink more then one bottle and is noticeably thinner than should be. Felt throat for blockage and doesn't seem to have bloat. Fairly new to this. Any Idea's? Thanks.

Is it maybe just getting the milk too fast? They usually stop sucking every few seconds to breathe. How much are you feeding the calf, how old is it and are you feeding starter too?

Aprille

slscores. we bottle feed about 50 Holstein calves a year and the first thing that comes to my mind is he is getting the milk to fast. the nipple on the bottle should not be big but u don't want it to small either. if that doesn't help then I would check his temp an see if he is feeling OK. if not I would then treat him.

fed him today on a nipple with a smaller opening and it seemed to help. Then fed him on a nipple with a bigger opening and the problems started again. So it appears that you guys are right. I'm gonna take his temp just to be on the safe side, but thank you for the help and answering a simple question.

Also try holding the bottle lower so that it's not right up over his head. I'm only guessing that that is part of the concern here but it sure sounds like it to me and it's real common for people to hold the bottle straight up over them.

So I am having some issues still when feeding. The calf is puking the milk up while feeding and sounds like it's having trouble breathing after feeding. Any ideas?

This must be quite common because I have a calf that does this. I'm not that worried though as I've seen it before and the calf turned out fine.

slscores":3dzrbpxn said:
So I am having some issues still when feeding. The calf is puking the milk up while feeding and sounds like it's having trouble breathing after feeding. Any ideas?

How much are you feeding him, and how often? Does he have calf starter or grain along with his hay? Assuming he is getting enough to eat, I would swap out the nipple for one with a smaller hole and hold the bottle more level so the flow of milk is slower. Another option would be to set up a lambar with cold milk so he has continuous milk throughout the day.

Latest posts