weight

Help Support CattleToday:

ottersbro

Reaction score
if your raising beef for your own personal use what target weight are you trying to achieve before slaughtering?

If the steer is medium frames 1350-1400 with lots of fat is idea for me.

Txshowmom is right on the money.But there are other things to consider.One being how much can your freezer hold.The Avg.steer will dress out at or about 65% or in the case of one at 1400#an is finished that is about 910#of meat.You may want to keep one side for you, or sale the other side to someone else.I have at times butchard some that were as small as 700# - 800# that ate pretty good though.

We prefer right about 1200 - 1250. I like the hamburger lean. We have a lot of it ground into hamburger (I rarely cook) with some steaks and a few roasts.

kill your calf when it fits your schedule your quantity needs your budget and your space. you can grass finish or grain finish depending on what you want and how much you want to spend getting to the kill date. quality of the meat will not be affected by how big or small the calf is.

R ^ 5":29ybbdw6 said:
Txshowmom is right on the money.But there are other things to consider.One being how much can your freezer hold.The Avg.steer will dress out at or about 65% or in the case of one at 1400#an is finished that is about 910#of meat.You may want to keep one side for you, or sale the other side to someone else.I have at times butchard some that were as small as 700# - 800# that ate pretty good though.

Agree with that last statement. I tend to get impatient and butcher at 800-1100 pounds. I've had great results, which have already been hashed and rehashed on the feedyard board in the past.

Latest posts