Weight Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Why does a 300 # calf sell for $2.15 # and a 900 # sells for $1.50 #?

I am sure most of you have done the math.
300# = $645
900# = $1,350

Why would I keep a calf another 300 days (at best) for $705?

What other investment will you have that will double in less than a year? Even if you had $200 in expenses it is still a pretty good return on investment.

Your moma cow should provide everything the calf needs up to 600 lbs. Then they are worth about $1000 with out any inputs except pasture and some minerals. I can't ever figure out why anyone would sell a 300lb animal unless they are forced to but there are plenty of them available.

HDRider":393gr5do said:

I am sure most of you have done the math.
300# = $645
900# = $1,350

Why would I keep a calf another 300 days (at best) for $705?
Because that is what feedlots do? It may not be easy money like you are used to but it is money.

bird dog":njghvsds said:
I can't ever figure out why anyone would sell a 300lb animal unless they are forced to but there are plenty of them available.

I sure "they" don't quit, I make a living on those little boogers.

I normally keep mine long enough after weaning to get to 775. That hasn't been as profitable the last couple of years, as it has in the past. I figure they are growing frame, and it's cheap to put on, so I go for it. If it's a calf I wean in the spring, I just let it run on grass. I see it as lending itself to the law of diminishing marginal returns. As long as the dollars I'm spending to keep them are being returned with a little extra I will keep on.

with calf prices are high like they are its hard to buy lite weights an put the extra 500lbs on them an make money.

bigbull338":16bviwnj said:
with calf prices are high like they are its hard to buy lite weights an put the extra 500lbs on them an make money.

IF $215/cwt. would buy a GOOD, HEALTHY 300lbs. calf, it would be/is rather easy to put 500lbs. on them and make money, or feed them and probably make even more. That calf would cost more like $265-$285/cwt. out here currently.

No one addressed my first question -

I know that is the way it is, and why ask why and all that, but,,,

Why do lighter weights sell for more per pound?

HDRider":25wwhfm9 said:

Because of the potential for gain.

3waycross":25o92zky said:
HDRider":25o92zky said:

Because of the potential for gain.

Exactly. Feedlot operators have the time needed and quality of feed stuffs needed, figured out to finish an animal. Only when feed is expensive will they usually pay less for the smaller animals. We made just as much money for years on green spring grassers than guys who kept them through grass and added an extra 300 lbs to them. The markets have even went more extreme in the last couple of years and I am getting more now for 500 lb calves than 700 lb grassers. But with the NA herd shrinking, I think your going to start to see more competition on all weights of cattle.

HDRider":3vvmumk4 said:

We allow so much for a calf and only so much for the gain. The lighter the calf the higher the percentage of calf cost compared to the gain cost.

I thought the higher price for a 300 #er might be related to risk. I would consider breeding a cow, carrying to term, live birth and making it the first 100 days higher risk, than feeding one for the next 300 days.

HDRider":39j8oyey said:
I thought the higher price for a 300 #er might be related to risk. I would consider breeding a cow, carrying to term, live birth and making it the first 100 days higher risk, than feeding one for the next 300 days.
Exactly what I said there is a cost for the calf and a cost for the gain. The smaller the calf, the larger % of calf costs vs gain cost. A pound of calf costs way more than a pound of gain.

Aaron":q1kc532d said:
HDRider":q1kc532d said:

Exactly. Feedlot operators have the time needed and quality of feed stuffs needed, figured out to finish an animal. Only when feed is expensive will they usually pay less for the smaller animals. We made just as much money for years on green spring grassers than guys who kept them through grass and added an extra 300 lbs to them. The markets have even went more extreme in the last couple of years and I am getting more now for 500 lb calves than 700 lb grassers. But with the NA herd shrinking, I think your going to start to see more competition on all weights of cattle.
Aaron, are you seeing about the same spread between the light weights and heavier weight prices we are seeing down here?

Latest posts