weed

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
We have a weed up North that grows everywher in my pastures. It has a purple flower when it matures and grows 3 feet high. The cows will not eat it. Does anyone know what it is and how do I get rid of it and still let my cows graze?

How big are the flowers? If they are a couple of inches across, it may be wild morning glories.

Suspect chickory, mallow plant or loosestrife. If it was thistle he would know what it is. All invasive and cows generally avoid.

Not enough info on plant description to get further into detail - get us a pic.

Bez

Bama":2khhenol said:
I would go with thistle also, here is a link to weed identifiaction with purple flowers.

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/weeds4.html
It was none of those pictures --it is a big puple flower, the stem is very thick when mature, someone told me if I put household salt on the plant it would die. NO one seems to know what it is, I have not seen it anywhere else except in one of my pastures. Like I said before the cows will not eat it. It has not flowered yet, I gues I will pull each one out by the roots. If I use round-up how long should I wait before I let the cows back in?

Round-up wont hurt your Cattle, Especially on something they wont eat. Just spray this weed you're talking about and don't worry.

Crossbow, works well, it will kill most weeds without effecting grass, thats what you would want I suspect..........plus like round up, it will not be detrimental to your livestock.

Hate the thistles....... we stay at war with them :cboy:

sounds like what the old man call big blueweed, don't know real name. big stemmy stuff with pretty blue flowers? grows along gravel roads also ?

does it look like this?
008thistle.jpg

We didn't have thistle around here until about 3-4 years ago. Now its everwhere. Can you post a picture of the mystery weed. Some of us should be able to identify it. If it ain't bloomed yet you may be able to get it this year pretty easy, and not have a big problem with it next year.

i have been mowing thistles all week. i hope they all go to hell and die.

Beefy":cp0g313n said:

Our crop is the lowest in the county. My dad has been digging them up since they showed up. I've dug up my fair share.

Have been battling thistle for years here. Every spray we try ends up acting like a vitamin instead of a poison. Seems the only effective way is to chop them off and hand spray the open stem with roundup. I share your view Beefy. :D

Wewild":1lsv3nia said:
Beefy":1lsv3nia said:

Our crop is the lowest in the county. My dad has been digging them up since they showed up. I've dug up my fair share.
Dug them by the truckload. Since neighbor does nothing with his, he provides everyone with free seed.

Chuck":236wk7b7 said:
Wewild":236wk7b7 said:
Beefy":236wk7b7 said:

Dug them by the truckload. Since neighbor does nothing with his, he provides everyone with free seed.

One swip is all it takes. We ain't got any neighbors but woods.

yeah all it takes is one growing in the ditchbank or next door for everybody and his brother to get them. i like to mow them right before a rain. i've heard (and this seems to work on SOME) that if you mow them right before it rains the rain collecting in the stalk will cause them to rot. Anyway, i'm mowing all i can reach right now and going crazy with a machete on the rest. will spray the survivors when fourwheeler gets fixed (dad ran over it with tractor).

biggest weeds here are thistle, horsenettle, pigweed, persimmon trees, briars, and dogfennel.

Latest posts