Weed Killer

Help Support CattleToday:

reggy

Reaction score
What kind of weed killer should I use before seeding my pasture? Lots of thistles and tarweed here.

Glyphos 41% if your trying to kill everything. If it isn't activly growing then use 4 qt to the acre. If it is still lush and there is as much plant above ground as below then you can use as little as 1 qt to the acre. Mix with surfactant and anomium sulfate for better results.

glyphosate can be found in products such as roundup, honcho, kilzall, cornerstone and others. These will kill everthing. They can all be purchased without a applicators license. 2,4-d can be used to kill just the weeds, mix remedy with the 2,4-d and it will also get the brush without harming the existing grass. Grazon is a picloram mixed with 2,4-d it will get more of the tougher weeds than 2,4-d alone. Another product surmount will work as effective as grazon but it doesn't have 2,4-d in it so it can be sprayed around 2,4-d sensistive plants such as cotton. Grazon and surmount both require a license to purchase.

Glyphospate is from the old Round Up patent that Monsanto had years ago. It's run out and is available in many names of weed and brush killers.We use it in Fencerows and see results in as little as 72 hrs.

Glyphos 41% sounds like what I want but let me ask a few more questions.

We have dry pasture so all the good grass is dried up right now and the weeds are the only thing that is green.

I hate to waste what little good grass there is in the pasture so if I spray the pasture now to kill the green weeds, can I put the cows back on it after a week so that they can eat the good grass that is left? Or will that make the cows sick?

I could wait until they eat the good grass down, but I may not be able to catch the weeds before they dry up naturally.

What should I do? I don't plan on seeding until Nov 1st timeframe.

On the label of Eraser, which is the one we use, it says harmful to fish, and invertabrates, I'd still be a little apprehensive turning them loose on freshly sprayed pastures for a few days, even though the label gives no warning. It may be harmless. I may stand to be corrected.

Crowderfarms":1bh8qf1j said:
On the label of Eraser, which is the one we use, it says harmful to fish, and invertabrates, I'd still be a little apprehensive turning them loose on freshly sprayed pastures for a few days, even though the label gives no warning. It may be harmless. I may stand to be corrected.

I'd be waiting at least a week. Are you saying you'd be comfortable releasing them back on it after a week?

reggy":2yhq84n6 said:
Crowderfarms":2yhq84n6 said:

I'd be waiting at least a week. Are you saying you'd be comfortable releasing them back on it after a week?
Reggy, I would say it would be O.K to do, but I have to ask, why are you keeping these cattle on Pasture that you want to sow down in November. And are wanting to Kill all Vegatation now? What are they going to graze on? What's your Game Plan here?

Crowderfarms":13u4e6yx said:
reggy":13u4e6yx said:
Crowderfarms":13u4e6yx said:

Reggy, I would say it would be O.K to do, but I have to ask, why are you keeping these cattle on Pasture that you want to sow down in November. And are wanting to Kill all Vegatation now? What are they going to graze on? What's your Game Plan here?

Well, basically my situation is that currently I have about 50% good grass on the pasture and 50% weeds(thorns, tarweed, etc). I have a guy that will use a "no-till" hookup to plant seed in November but I want to kill the weeds before he does this. I was told that the best time to kill the weeds was while they were still green.

So basically my thinking was this.

1. My good grass is now dried up and naturally dead already so I can't kill it anymore but I don't want to waste it. If I spray it now, I'll kill the weeds as well and "hopefully" I can let the cows back in on it to finish off the good grass after about a week. This way, I've sprayed the weeds after the good grass is already dead and the weeds are still green.

2. If I wait to spray until the cows finish off the good grass first, I risk letting the weeds dry up naturally making it hard to kill them. I've been told that you can still kill weeds for the coming year after they've dried up naturally, but that it's much much much harder to do. Maybe I've been misinformed.

I hope that makes sense. That's pretty much my dilema.

reggy":2pu62jat said:
Crowderfarms":2pu62jat said:
reggy":2pu62jat said:
Crowderfarms":2pu62jat said:

Well, basically my situation is that currently I have about 50% good grass on the pasture and 50% weeds(thorns, tarweed, etc). I have a guy that will use a "no-till" hookup to plant seed in November but I want to kill the weeds before he does this. I was told that the best time to kill the weeds was while they were still green.

So basically my thinking was this.

1. My good grass is now dried up and naturally dead already so I can't kill it anymore but I don't want to waste it. If I spray it now, I'll kill the weeds as well and "hopefully" I can let the cows back in on it to finish off the good grass after about a week. This way, I've sprayed the weeds after the good grass is already dead and the weeds are still green.

2. If I wait to spray until the cows finish off the good grass first, I risk letting the weeds dry up naturally making it hard to kill them. I've been told that you can still kill weeds for the coming year after they've dried up naturally, but that it's much much much harder to do. Maybe I've been misinformed.

I hope that makes sense. That's pretty much my dilema.
Just remember, Glyphosphate is non-selective. it will kill anything it's sprayed on. Sounds like you might be better off with 2-4 D, Amine. Where are you located?

If I was only after the weeds for now I would spray 2,4-d now. It is a little late as most of those weeds have already bloomed. It will still kill them but you will have some more next year. 2,4-d is cheap. Then if you want to kill everthing wait until late August/early Sept. to spray the glyphosate. After you seed in Nov. the next spring You will probally have to hit it again with 2,4-d because of the weeds that came back from this years seed and also seed that was laying dormant until you cut it or drilled it. You can spray 2,4-d without any grazing restrictions. The Grazon will do a better job but this late in the game I would only use 2,4-d.

Northern California. North of Sacramento.

I thought 2,4-D required a license?

Hmm....now I'm not sure what to do.

Do I even need to do this?

Is there anything I can plant that will just choke the weeds out? I know it's usually the other way around but I guess I'm hoping that some hybrid seed has been developed that chokes weeds out the way weeds do to good grass.

reggy

Why don't you contact your local feed mill - fertilizer/chemical sales outfit and ask where you can find a good fieldman? I would bet they not only know where to find one, but they might even have one on staff.

He is local, and he is up to date on what works in YOUR area.

He - perhaps I should also include SHE - can tell you what you need to do. This advice is usually free if you buy the chemical/fertilizer/seed from the outfit the fieldman represents. I peraonally do this on an annual basis - they are always up on the new stuff, and they always can find info if they do not have the answer.

Build a relationship with these folks and you cannot go wrong.

We can BS all day here, but only you can see your fields and only you can decide what you want to do. This is what they do for a living - so in most cases you can take their info to the bank.

regards,

Bez

Bez":229f3ob1 said:
reggy

Why don't you contact your local feed mill - fertilizer/chemical sales outfit and ask where you can find a good fieldman? I would bet they not only know where to find one, but they might even have one on staff.

He is local, and he is up to date on what works in YOUR area.

He - perhaps I should also include SHE - can tell you what you need to do. This advice is usually free if you buy the chemical/fertilizer/seed from the outfit the fieldman represents. I peraonally do this on an annual basis - they are always up on the new stuff, and they always can find info if they do not have the answer.

Build a relationship with these folks and you cannot go wrong.

We can BS all day here, but only you can see your fields and only you can decide what you want to do. This is what they do for a living - so in most cases you can take their info to the bank.

regards,

Bez

Excellent advice - was thinking about talking about millet but I also rely on local experts to advise & execute weed control & pasture refurburbishment. In our case, it is the fertilizer company, provides fertilizer, herbicides, seed, applications, & advice. You are good at looking at the "big picture".

reggy

If the only thing in your pasture is grass and weeds then sgray 2.5-3pts Grazon per acre. Also add 1qt per 100g of water. Use a rate of 20g per acre. This will give you knockdown of the weeds plus residual control.

If you have legumes you want to save Grazon is not the program to use. Grazon is also a restricted use product.

reggy

Bez is right!! I would also talk to them about soil testing before you seed.

Latest posts