weed id

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
could you kind folks aid me in identifying these two weeds. muchos grassyas.

specimen #1- "orangeweed"
Picture_1194.jpg

Picture_1193.jpg

specimen#2-"that stuff allover"
Picture_1192.jpg

Picture_1196.jpg

Picture_1195.jpg

Beefy, not only do I not know what the weeds are but I never seen soil like that. Is that white sand? :oops:

specimen #2 looks like poor joe and if it is. Grazon will get rid of it.

supposedly most of our soil is sandy loam, some spots are heavy on the sandy.

these pictures are of some old crop land that we are letting the bermuda take over. this is the first year though, so that green stuff came up everywhere along with a bunch of crabgrass and the orange. we sprigged a portion of the land (not pictured) with coastal and a stand of crabgrass came up that looks good enough to bale for hay. but its got a bunch of that green stuff in it. the cows will eat both the green and orange. however the horse pasture has a lot of the orange in it too and they apparently wont touch it.

I don't recognize the orange stuff from the pic, but the green is definately Florida pusley. Commonly called "clover" by most everybody I know. I wouldn't do anything to impede its growth on pastureland. I don't think it will be much competition for bermuda/bahia in a normal rain year. The upside is that it is relatively high in protein, drought tolerant, and readily grazed by cattle. I've had old timers tell me that back in the day when everybody had hogs, you wouldn't need to add soybean (protein)supplement to the hog rations if you had plenty of "clover" for the hogs to graze on.

SaskHerf":jzhd94m3 said:
If you spray # 2 with grazon you won't have ANYTHING..... i guess if its a problem thoguh you gotta do it.

??? Grazon is 2,4-D which is a control for woody plants. It doesn't hurt grasses unless put out too strong, which will burn the grass a little but it will recover. Of course this late in the year in Texas a little burn on grass will last a while.

Stepper":2v0ce7bm said:
specimen #2 looks like poor joe and if it is. Grazon will get rid of it.

I agree -- just found an image on the University of South Florida website. In fact, I think both pics may be of Poor Joe or Rough Buttonweed after looking at the pics on this website.

Here's the website: http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/

ga. prime":q3bzb2sq said:
I don't recognize the orange stuff from the pic, but the green is definately Florida pusley. Commonly called "clover" by most everybody I know. I wouldn't do anything to impede its growth on pastureland. I don't think it will be much competition for bermuda/bahia in a normal rain year. The upside is that it is relatively high in protein, drought tolerant, and readily grazed by cattle. I've had old timers tell me that back in the day when everybody had hogs, you wouldn't need to add soybean (protein)supplement to the hog rations if you had plenty of "clover" for the hogs to graze on.

Yep, number 2 is definitely Florida pusley. Thanks ga prime! it is growing where we sprigged coastal along with crabgrass. i am wanting to harvest the crabgrass and wanted to make sure the pusley would be ok too since theres no way to really separate it out.