Weed Contol in Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

High Cotton":3o0q7wyj said:
What about 2-4DB has a general broadleaf?

I'd think that would do a good job killing the clover. Like Sky says, grassy weeds could be controlled with something like poast but you are pretty limited when it comes to broadleaves.

From what I have read 2-4DB is different than regular 2-4D. It was used on soybeans before roundup ready varieties were developed. It's supposed to be safe on clover except when the clover is in very weak stages. I have no first hand experience with it just what I have read. I have been looking for herbicides for pastures with alot of clover. I through that out more so to see if any one else had used it before.

You may very well be right. I don't know. I just know I got some 2,4-D on some clover two days ago and it looks really sick. Might be the rate, timing or whatever. I'm sure the label would have it on there.

I imagine though even if it did kill it you could wait till it formed seeds and spray the foodplot and you'd have plenty of regrowth next year from the seed.

High Cotton":1tw8cqtm said:
From what I have read 2-4DB is different than regular 2-4D. It was used on soybeans before roundup ready varieties were developed. It's supposed to be safe on clover except when the clover is in very weak stages. I have no first hand experience with it just what I have read. I have been looking for herbicides for pastures with alot of clover. I through that out more so to see if any one else had used it before.

Apparantly you are right. Here is a label. There are some conditions but the information is on page 5.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/la ... ac_200.pdf

skyhightree1":13i13fm5 said:
I don't think id want to spray 2-4d anything on my clover if I can help it.

I'm with you but apparantly HighCotton is right. In my mind, 2,4-D has always meant a dead broadleaf. Learn something new every day. Thanks HighCotton. :tiphat:

BTW - to me, this is still one of those things I want to watch my neighbor do first. :mrgreen:

Well I read through that spray label and I wouldn't want to apply it to soybeans or forage clovers unless I absolutely had no other choice because it sounds pretty touchy. Knew I had never heard of it before. It states that it can't be applied to broadleafs in the midwest. Just for labelled legumes down south.

2-4D is different from 2-4B, the b is for butyrac. It is labled for lots of favorable legumes. That being said, it only does a fair job of controlling noxious weeds, and the rate is a lot higher. We have sprayed 2-4D on lots of clover fields at less than 2 pints/acre, with success. It did ding it a bit but it bounced back great. I have seen alfalfa sprayed with same rate and it looked like it had been fertilized, didn't hurt it at all, got all the weeds too. All that being said I cannot recommend spraying clover with 2-4D unless you can afford to loose it.

Sizmic

Jogeephus":2gg72euz said:
High Cotton":2gg72euz said:

Apparantly you are right. Here is a label. There are some conditions but the information is on page 5.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/la ... ac_200.pdf

Ditto.. Thanks High :clap:
I am with Jo I will watch my neighbor do it first. I unfortunately have a new pasture I posted pics of that has a ton of weeds and I will have to spray 2-4d a few times heavy till fall when I plan on overseeding at a high rate and hopefully it will smother out the weeds. I stopped spraying 2-4d around my house so it doesnt find a way in my well.

I'd suggest getting the weed problem under control then worry about the clover. If there is a serious weed problem the clover stand can't be outstanding. So I would get your weed problem under control and not be worried about killing the clover. Get the weeds gone, get the grass stand improved and then re-establish a good stand of clover. Then manage it properly to keep weeds under control. Just my two cents though.

The 2,4DB works well on clover. It'll curl up most broadleaf weeds just like 2,4D, but it won't hurt the clover. Most often than not, a healthy clover field will crowd out most other broadleaf weeds. Grass is the probem I fight the most. I've found clethodim to be the most effective of taking care of it.

I found that stuff looking for something to spray on some pastures and maybe some hay fields that have some heavy areas of clover. The people I work for over seeded clover and perennial rye grass in most of the pastures. I usually spot spray round-up for pigweed. In the spring and early summer they get pretty thick in yellowtop. That's about the same time the clover is pretty heavy. I wanted something to kill the yellowtop, morningglory and nutsedge that didn't kill the clover. If I kill the clover I'm gonna catch hell.

I sat in some meetings last year with instructors from the Tennessee Extension service and they were recommending using 2,4d on fescue/white clover pastures for weed control...said it would kill red/crimson clover but would only bite back the white dutch and ladino clovers. Also, recommended using 2,4d amine before Easter and 2,4d ester after Easter.

Haven't tried it yet(got to buy a sprayer first!)...just passing along their recommendations.

Latest posts