Wednesday's Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
$1.85 per pound. My 370 pound bull calf (8 months old) brought $684.50 and cleared $646.53 after fees. Will go see my grandfather this evening and see what his two bull calfs brought.

The ticket confuses me, because the price is shown as "185.00". I was expecting to see "$1.85".

MudHog":1p6kfiqo said:
$1.85 per pound. My 370 pound bull calf (8 months old) brought $684.50 and cleared $646.53 after fees. Will go see my grandfather this evening and see what his two bull calfs brought.

The ticket confuses me, because the price is shown as "185.00". I was expecting to see "$1.85".

Its done by the hundred weight. The calf weighed 3.70

Light bulb!!!! Hundred weight clears alot of stuff up. I've been having an app on my phone (Beef Market Central) and always seen the pricing as hundred. For example, the app has Feeder Cattle as 167.75 or a 0.75 increase on the day.

I'm really curious to know how my grandfather came out. My calf was about middle in size of the three and I know his smallest went for 160 or 165.

All our cattle are nothing fancy. Commercial cattle is what I've heard people call them. No kind of papers or bloodlines. Mine is off a Brangus/Beefmaster cow that bred with a mixed bull. The Brangus was from an Angus cow that showed up in our pasture many years ago and we had a Brahman bull at the time. When my grandfather changed out the Brahman, he bought a Beefmaster and is where the Brangus/Beefmaster comes from. Other than that, all our other cattle are mutts.

I'm a bit confused with your measurements. I thought 1 cwt was 112 lbs and there was 20 cwt to the ton of 2240 lbs. Have you simplified it to 100?
I also thought 370 was a bit light for an 8 mth old calf even for a mutt. That is 168 kg in our lingo. I would think that he would not have been too flash to look at so $1.85 / lb is very good money for him. At the moment we would consider ourselves to be pretty lucky to get $1.85 / kg (2.2lb) for a pretty good 300 kg (660lb) calf.
Ken

wbvs58":2di1vaop said:
I'm a bit confused with your measurements. I thought 1 cwt was 112 lbs and there was 20 cwt to the ton of 2240 lbs. Have you simplified it to 100?
I also thought 370 was a bit light for an 8 mth old calf even for a mutt. That is 168 kg in our lingo. I would think that he would not have been too flash to look at so $1.85 / lb is very good money for him. At the moment we would consider ourselves to be pretty lucky to get $1.85 / kg (2.2lb) for a pretty good 300 kg (660lb) calf.
Ken
Smaller calves bring more $$ per lb

piedmontese":2qsqyimf said:
wbvs58":2qsqyimf said:
Ken
Smaller calves bring more $$ per lb
Yes but they have to have the quality and potential to grow. A good quality 5 month old calf at that weight would command a premium in good times but where I am a runty 8 mth old calf would be punished.

202 here locally on Wednesday was the average for 3-4 weights. What was the average there?

Went pass at my grandfather's this evening. His two sold at the following:

330 162.50 536.25
420 170.00 714.00

Here is a picture that shows all three. Black one was mine at 370 lbs. The red one next to mine is the 420 lbs for my grandfather and the white dot one in the background is the 330 lbs for my grandfather. Their dad is the bull that is on the far right side and he is 3.5 years old.

E7F7022F-C4E4-4CAE-A4A6-D05DFA46385D_zpstjtnmi2x.jpg

Red bull far right is a 3 1/2 yr old beefmaster? Got a better picture of him?

How much do you think your calf weighed at weaning?

greybeard":2fwc6svs said:
Red bull far right is a 3 1/2 yr old beefmaster? Got a better picture of him?

How much do you think your calf weighed at weaning?

No, the red bull far right is 3-1/2 y/o mix, but is the 2nd to last breeding season calf from the Beefmaster bull we had at the time. He is off the mix cow that is center far background. She is hornless and the 3-1/2 y/o bull is not hornless, but his "horns" are just nubs that just barely broke the skin. Really wouldn't even consider them to be horns.

We don't wean until 6 months and these three didn't get weaned until a month ago, so they were weaned at 7 months.

wbvs58":1jk82wi4 said:
A British ton is 2240 lb. A U.S. ton is 2000 lb.

That calf at 8 months old should have weighed atleast 600lbs, and at 370lbs it should have brought more than 1.85cwt at about any sale in the country I would have thought. Numbers don't lie and his weight and age don't line up in the slightest, but with that said he's not a bad looking calf and atleast in that picture he really doesn't have that stunted look a calf that old and that size.

Latest posts